Movies You Watched

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Wow! I just watched Avatar. (I know, I know - I'm late.) I bought it in Blu-Ray, so I'm sure it's not as spectacular as the 3D version, but I was blown away! Everything about this film was stunning. I will definitely watch it again.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve been caught up and extremely addicted to the Starz series “Spartacus: Blood and Sand”. It is hands down the best TV series I have ever seen. I’m so addicted I’ve watched every episode 6 or more times each.

You can get it on demand via Starz (cable) or Netflix streaming video (I watch it on Netflix). A DVD should be out soon.

I must warn it is NOT for children. It is visceral and an attempt to show Rome as it really was. Lots of cussing, full frontal nudity (men and women both), sexual content, and fighting with lots of blood.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG - I love Spartacus! So does JoeC. I hate the violence so I just FF ahead to the naughty bits.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OMG - I love Spartacus! So does JoeC. I hate the violence so I just FF ahead to the naughty bits.

It's one of the most incredible and addictive TV series I have ever seen. They knocked it out of the park with this one.

How say you - do you think Sparty and Mira should hook up? I say YES!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Hell, yes! Of course, it looks like everybody eventually hooks up there. I have never seen so many chiseled bodies in my life!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Law Abiding Cirizen

Okay, maybe it's not original, but the 1080P video and the DolbyTrueHD sound on my home theater system was out of sight. While on the edge of my seat, I cheered for the killer until the last half hour or so. The ending was no surprise considering the goings on throughout the flick.

Gerard Butler is very good. Now I'm going to get Gamer for viewing on Wednesday.

buckytom

Grill Master
i watched julie and julia yesterday.

too much of a chick flick to be enjoyable.

meryl streep's performance as julia child was over the top. i don't remember julia being that batty and aloof. she was much more down to earth and funny.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I watched Gamer last night with the surround sound blaring. The format was 1080P Blu-Ray and the resulting visual through HDMI was outstanding on a newly calibrated TV. The visual was bested by the unbelievably good DTS-HD Master Audio. I was totally immersed. In real life I never have been nor will ever be a gamer but this movie really did it for me. Loved it. :)

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oooh - I just watched Avatar on Blu-Ray and the picture was amazing. Did you get a new TV? You mentioned newly calibrated - what is that?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oooh - I just watched Avatar on Blu-Ray and the picture was amazing. Did you get a new TV? You mentioned newly calibrated - what is that?

All TV's are a little different and the factory settings are generally not too close to industry standards. Many people would like to see what the director intended him to see and in order to do so the set needs calibrating. The most common way of doing it is with a DVD or now Blu-Ray disc containing a program like Avia or others that are available. Because these programs depend on the naked eye they can only get part way to true calibration.

ISF calibration is done by pros trained at ISF seminars. This will bring out the most in a TV but the cost generally runs from $300 to $450 and not a whole lot of people are willing to do that. I had a set calibrated by an ISFer a couple of years ago and was amazed at the difference.

In the process of setting up the house I just bought I am adding three new high definition TV's but I'm not willing to pay the full price for ISF calibration on them. There is quite a learning curve but thanks to the Internet, a good colorimeter, and excellent software I am able to come close to ISF calibration on my own. I use ChromaPure software and its license covers an X-Rite Chroma 5 colorimeter. The process of trying to get it "right" is something I find most enjoyable.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Saw Iron Man 2 today. Nowhere near as good as the 1st. Not enough action until the last 30 minutes. Wasted too much time explaining the reason for the ending!! C+ maybe B- and it only got that for the last part and the funny quips and the kick ass Scarlett!!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Finally got around to watching It's Complicated last night. DW loved it, I thought it was okay but was longing to see an action flick....

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I LOVED It's Complicated. The scene with the kids in the hotel dining room, while they were headed up the elevator was hysterical! Or smoking at the party? :yum:

The best of all was the computer screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess it was a grown-up chick flick.

lilylove

The Prince of Persia. It was just ok. Wouldn't go see it again. Too many fights, snakes way too fake BUT... there sure were a lot of tall dark handsome men to gaze at.

mhend

Watched Legion last night...I was so disappointed. Could've been much better. Paul Bettany was great, as usual, but the plot was predictable and the writing was bad. The old lady at the diner did freak me out though :)

mhend

I watched Shutter Island last night...I thought it was outstanding, probably one of the better movies I've seen in a while.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Finally watched Avatar last night.

It was ok. I really liked the story, but the CGI was just meh. As a gamer, I've been watching rendered cutscenes of that quality since 2002. The movie came off as one really long cutscene.....except I never got to push any buttons or join the action. :lol:

AllenOK

I just caught the trailer for The Green Hornet. I dunno about Seth Rogen as the lead, but the trailer looked GOOD!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I watched Inglorious Basterds last night. The suspense was a beautiful thing, and the ensuing action scenes were fantastic. It was on a little TV in my temporary quarters and I liked it so much that today I ordered a Blu-Ray version to play on my surround sound/big screen setup when I get back into my apartment (after they get rid of the mold.....).

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Shutter Island

I had read very little about this movie and was unfamiliar with the story line. It took me a long time to figure it out..... :bonk:

I liked it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I loved this movie! I really want to see Inglorious Bastards as well.

Yes, you do. If possible, see it Blu-Ray, large screen HDTV, and a surround system that can decode the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track. Quentin Tarantino has beautifully built on his previous incredible movies.