• yes

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • no

Votes: 28 62.2%

• Total voters

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have a friend who would never have met Anthony Bourdain if they both didn't smoke - she went to one of his book-signings, sneaked outside to have a cigarette, and there he was!

S.Shepherd

no smoking for me...asmtha:yuk:

but I used to chew "kodiak". I decided to quit cold turkey Jan. 04'

I hear the term "stress reducer" alot...it's all in how much you really want to quit, period. Having cancer will put you under alot of stress, you gonna keep smoking, etc.?
Until the pain of changing is less than the pain of staying the same most people will do nothing.

Oh ya, I quit in jan.04' , I got a tattoo in march 04' as me own "reminder" that I quit. 2 weeks later I watched EMTs' pick my fathers body up and put it in a bag after he was crushed by a tree. Over the course of the next 12 months my family dissolved. I'm the last in my line with my last name.
I made a decision to quit, and I've stuck with it, it's great not having that monkey on my back:wink:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have a friend who would never have met Anthony Bourdain if they both didn't smoke - she went to one of his book-signings, sneaked outside to have a cigarette, and there he was!
Be still, my heart! I would love to sneak a smoke with him!!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

but I used to chew "kodiak". I decided to quit cold turkey Jan. 04'

I hear the term "stress reducer" alot...it's all in how much you really want to quit, period. Having cancer will put you under alot of stress, you gonna keep smoking, etc.?
Until the pain of changing is less than the pain of staying the same most people will do nothing.

Oh ya, I quit in jan.04' , I got a tattoo in march 04' as me own "reminder" that I quit. 2 weeks later I watched EMTs' pick my fathers body up and put it in a bag after he was crushed by a tree. Over the course of the next 12 months my family dissolved. I'm the last in my line with my last name.
I made a decision to quit, and I've stuck with it, it's great not having that monkey on my back:wink:
I'm sorry to hear about your dad's horrible death, SS! It must have been awful for you!

I think all of us would agree that it would be much better to be non-smokers and hopefully I'll be one again sooner than later. Until then, I have to laugh at my inability to quit and stay quit because if I don't laugh, I'll cry.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry Shep, I was making a joke about something else you posted in another thread.
Removed it. No disrespect intended toward your Father.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Wow! That is incredible! I'd love to meet Bourdain. I'd even eat Durian Fruit to do so!! :w00t:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin said:
Wow! That is incredible! I'd love to meet Bourdain. I'd even eat Durian Fruit to do so!!

Fisher's Mom said:
Be still, my heart! I would love to sneak a smoke with him!!!

Yep, she was thrilled...and while none of them have been the caliber of AB, I have met some really nice people in smoking sections of airports...

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

First, sorry to hear about your father. Second, congrats on quitting. As for the part above, I completely agree. I had no inclination to do it until the pain of continuing was actually more than quitting.
For me... I have the beginings of COPD, and with the triple bi-pass last year, well ever since then smoking causes me chest pain so it is less painful to not smoke now...

Damn Evil Monkey on yer back is what smoking is... I think I saw an Avatar like that somewhere around here...
:wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
First, sorry to hear about your father. Second, congrats on quitting. As for the part above, I completely agree. I had no inclination to do it until the pain of continuing was actually more than quitting.
For me... I have the beginings of COPD, and with the triple bi-pass last year, well ever since then smoking causes me chest pain so it is less painful to not smoke now...

Damn Evil Monkey on yer back is what smoking is... I think I saw an Avatar like that somewhere around here...
:wink:

You had a triple bypass??? No kidding? Crap, sorry to hear that. How's it going since that?

S.Shepherd

I started chewing when I was 18...bouncer in a bar an hour from home. I kept driving off the road...and was so tired one night , I thought I could drive fast enough to beat the sun coming up:driving::bonk:

I started chewing and it could go without sleep for days:shock:

if they would have told me how hard it was to quit, I never would have started. Your brain actually interprets niccotine, the same way it does cocaine. Ponder that for a while

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
You had a triple bypass??? No kidding? Crap, sorry to hear that. How's it going since that?

:heart: Yup, still going! LOL!

There have been some complications that may have arisen, won't know for sure until I can see the Doc... still waiting on the mess with my health insurance to sort out so I can get this all taken care of... ugg.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
:heart: Yup, still going! LOL!

There have been some complications that may have arisen, won't know for sure until I can see the Doc... still waiting on the mess with my health insurance to sort out so I can get this all taken care of... ugg.

Well hang in there! You can do it! My thoughts are with you! But you know......you might want to lay off the dog biscuits now! :yum::yum::yum:

YeOldeStonecat

Yes...ciggies....Newports. Wife 'n I split about 1 pack a day..or just under.

Never inside the house, always step outside on the porch.

And in the car...never when the kids are in the car.

I'm always respectful of others who don't smoke..when in a group, I'll try to move away from the crowd, downwind....so as not to affect others.

When at the beach...BIG pet peave of mine....when people toss their butts in the sand. I always snuff them out..and when I leave the beach...I pick them up and toss them in the garbage, instead of littering the beach with them. When in the boat, I never toss them over either..I take butts with me to properly discard of them.

Lefty

Yank
I only smoke when I drink. My first smoke of the day is around 5pm at happy hour at the Legion. The American Legion is a private club so they don't have to go by "smoking laws" that other bars do. If I ever smoke at home its always outside.

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm on my second year being smoke free after 15-17 years 1 pack a day. I feel great, it took a year to really get over the affects from smoking. I still mave a tiny little cough/throat clear every now and then. My stamina is back after some hard cardio work, which make the DW happy (if you know what I mean) :wink:

I'll enjoy a stogie every now and then. They pair great with vodka martinis. Cohiba Extra Vigoroso.

CharlieD

Gosh, I just broke 2 year of no smoking. I've been going some crap 9can I use that word here?) at home and work and going on some anti depressents is just not an option for me. 2-5 cigarets a day so far, hope not going to go for more than that and will try to quite some how again. i hate that stuff, but it makes me relax enough so I don't have to do anything real bad.

K

Kimchee

Year 3 of smoke free after 25 of a 2-3 pack a day habit.
I would gnaw my hand off before I would light up again!
But I can't say I wouldn't go out and buy me some more
Commit lozenges, which are what I used to stop smoking......

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Charlie, you are going through one of my worst recurring nightmares - that I've started smoking again. I wake up in a sweat when I have that dream.

The thought of quitting all over again is horrifying.

Hey, quitters- how about this question: if you knew DEFINITELY that the world was going to end on a particular day, say, three months from now, would you start smoking cigarettes again?

I would!

Lee

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't been able to quit and now accept the fact they will kill me eventually, unless I get caught with someone's wife (not likely really). I've tried every method out there to date but still smoke a half of a pack to a full pack a day. Now that is down as I was up to 2 for about a year before moving to Lexington.

vyapti

Gosh, I just broke 2 year of no smoking. I've been going some crap 9can I use that word here?) at home and work and going on some anti depressents is just not an option for me. 2-5 cigarets a day so far, hope not going to go for more than that and will try to quite some how again. i hate that stuff, but it makes me relax enough so I don't have to do anything real bad.
After several failed attempts, I finally used depressants to quit smoking. I was on Welbutrin (sp?) for 3-4 months, quit smoking, then dumped the pills. I hated how I felt on the antidepressants, but they made me not want to smoke, so it was worth it in the long run. I hope things work out for you. Good Luck.

K

Kimchee

If I KNEW the world was ending, heck yeah I'd start smoking again.
And drinking like in college too! Woo Hoo, why not????

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
After several failed attempts, I finally used depressants to quit smoking. I was on Welbutrin (sp?) for 3-4 months, quit smoking, then dumped the pills. I hated how I felt on the antidepressants, but they made me not want to smoke, so it was worth it in the long run. I hope things work out for you. Good Luck.
I have heard about this medication. It's called Zyban when it is prescribed for quitting smoking. I have seriously wanted to try it. I even got a script for it once, but then lost my insurance. I'm glad to hear it worked for you, vyapti.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It was another failure for me as was CHANTIX other than the dreaming was pretty well extreme..... The CHANTIX was rather expensive too but didn't make even a dent in my smoking. Worked about as well as all the other methods I've tried. To bad the states that got all the money from the tobacco industry in law suites aren't forced to pay for this stop smoking drugs but not a chance as it goes right into their treasuries instead.

K

Kimchee

What worked for me were Commit lozenges. They gave me a replacement for
the ritual of smoking and the oral aspect too. I did a lot of contemplation on
when why and where I smoked, and made sure to avoid and/or break those
links.. no car, no after dinner, no bars for a while, etc.
I also kept a partial pack on hand, and when I just had to have a smoke, I took a
puff or two, then trashed the butt. Eventually, those had to haves became lozenges
instead...
And I had to break my LOZENGE habit, LOLOL! I sucked those things for 2 years after
I quit smoking... but that was a hell of a lot better than cigarettes!

I think too many people ignore the non-nicotine aspects of cigarette addiction. It's
a habit, a ritual, a way of life, and THAT needs to be kicked too. I worked on all that
before I tackled the actual nicotine/smoking cessation, because I knew that the
non-nicotine aspects were the REAL reason I had so many problems quitting before.
All in all, I was quitting for a good year and a half before I actually QUIT.

But whatever way works, works! It's a toughie, that's for sure.