Yet another newbie

Deelady

Re: Hello

yeah that kinda frustrates me too....I'd rather people lurk for awhile and THEN after the decide they like what they see, post an intro....

Newnork1978

I know there are some shy folks out there...and I can understand someone being hesitant to post on other threads within the forum (right off the bat). It just seems like such a let down when everyone gathers to welcome someone new, only to never see that person post anything beyond their introduction. :huh:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

It just seems like such a let down when everyone gathers to welcome someone new, only to never see that person post anything beyond their introduction. :huh:

I agree, New .... it IS frustrating!

But I believe it's better to err on the side of trusting a new poster, to assume the person is not a spammer, so we can welcome and keep new REAL posters with us. We need everyone we can get!

The veteran mods are pretty good at spotting and identifying spammers right away.

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Well, K, Buzz can explain it better, but "Someboy" rapid-fired a bunch of brief posts to get his post count up enough to advertise his website.

Lee

Newnork1978

I agree, New .... it IS frustrating!

But I believe it's better to err on the side of trusting a new poster, to assume the person is not a spammer, so we can welcome and keep new REAL posters with us. We need everyone we can get!

The veteran mods are pretty good at spotting and identifying spammers right away.

Lee

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with rolling out the welcome wagon the moment someone new comes along...I just tend to hold back until I see newcomers get a little more involved.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

Buzz isn't here right now so I will explain, but probably not as well as he would. LOL

First, this person had a suspicious IP address, from a location that has a lot of proxy servers that spammers often use. But since he posted he was in the Czech Republic, it was possible he was just a new member. (And we love new members! LOL) Then he began posting to threads, one right after the other, from the General Cooking section. That is often what spammers do to get their post count up quickly so they can post a link. We waited to see and sure enough, he added an advertising link. Then some of your brilliant, techie mods (not me) discovered this same person has done this on other forums, with the same result.

I just want to make clear - posting a link is not a problem for genuine members. But these people just pad their post count enough to add a link and then disappear. Also, there is the issue of malware on the sites they link to.

Newnork1978

The first post I ever saw from that guy already said he was "banned". So I left it alone...I figured the powers that be were already on the case. Great job, guys! :thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

Thank you, Newnork! It's always hard to ban any new member and we try to give them every benefit of the doubt before taking action.

Newnork1978

This is a fair and caring forum. You folks genuinely welcome new people and give everyone the benefit of the doubt right away. Those who stumble upon this forum and choose to stay are the lucky ones. I'm proud to be a member of NCT. :a1:

SilverSage

Resident Crone

You guys are good! I saw him on 4 different forums, doing the same thing, and you guys are the only ones to catch on to him so far.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter

Names like Someboy and Redhot always make me a tad suspicious.

:whistling:
I might not be a mod, but it's fun to sit back and watch things unfold. LOL

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

You guys are good! I saw him on 4 different forums, doing the same thing, and you guys are the only ones to catch on to him so far.

Actually, one forum beat us to the punch. LOL

Attachments

• someboy.jpg
    someboy.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 92

pattycookin

Hi! I am new!

My user name is Pattycookin and I am happy to be part of this site. My real name is Pat. I have a husband,2 grown chikldren and 2 grandsons. I love to cook and get new recipes.:chef:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Re: Hi! I am new!

Hi Patty!!!! Welcome to Net Cooking Talk. I'm glad you found us.

We have a bit in common. I have grown kids and a couple grandbabies also. :D Don't ya love it. :thumb: :D

We have a lot of really talented and sharing people here. I think you are going to like it here. Enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

There's something nice about the name "Pat". Maybe I feel that way because I've never met a Pat, either male or female, that I haven't liked.

Welcome, Pat!

Lee

homecook

Welcome Pat!
I also have two (well maybe 1-1/2) grown children and two grandsons. I've also got a third on the way.........

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here.