The Pissed Off Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
VB, maybe you should just explain to them that for a lesser price, they can get quality OR quantity but it costs a little more to get both.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
frypan.gif

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Vera, your plates of food are HUGE! I'm not sure you're actually charging enough. I know it's a tough call, but you are better off without certain customers.

Just keep doing what you do so well, and people will be beating down your door.

Let the jerks go elsewhere. Suggest they eat next door and see how they like those prices.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. That’s the south for you.

A brief Devil’s Advocate - You’re charging 2 bucks for a glass of iced tea? For 99 cents I can get enough bags to make 8 gallons of tea, or I can buy a Gallon of Milos for 3 bucks. Gallon = 128 oz.

$3 / 128oz = 0.023 cents per ounce.

16 oz = 0.375

So cost of a glass of tea is 38 cents…..that’s why most places down south offer free drinks and free refills. And a LOT of southern inhabitants expect it. It’s customary down south.

Sounds like that couple weren’t tourists and knew the lay of the land. 10.25 for a sandwich is pretty steep, especially when you can go to a mom and pop Po-Boy shop and get a sandwich for 4.99, or 4.99 for most sandwiches at Subway.

I hear your complaint, your food is hand made and special. People like that need to move on as you aren’t in the business of catering to their ilk. They exists, and mostly stay away from downtown, but on occasion they bleed in. Just shrug it off. You aren’t in the business of competing with all the local Mom and Pops, or the McDonald’s Dollar Menus. You’ve got a special fare to present to your customers, and most appreciate it. Don’t let a few cheap yokels get to you.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'd be happy to pay$10 for a well made, big plate of spaghetti and meatballs. we often order that for my boy when we eat out at restaurants that don't have a kid's menu or half portions. we pay $14 at our favourite italian place on 9th ave. for decent pasta, and average-at-best meatballs that are small. the sauce is awesome, so that makes up for a lot.

vb, your meatballs are about the right size, imo. i just did a quick calculation, and i'd guess my meatballs were a ;ittle under 4ozs.. it's a good size to be tender, flavourful, and meaty.

going back, if i paid $10 for crappy food, i'd fell ripped off no matter what. but i doubt that's the case.
and tbe fact that the credit card customer din't leave a tip means that they either had a horrible experience (i can't remember the last time i didn't leave a tip on a credit card.) or more likely they are serious a-holes as has been mentioned.

nothin you can do bout dem, in the vernacular.

don'!t let the few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The only thing I can think is that maybe we are use to the high NJ prices. This area NY/NJ Metro area has VERY high prices on most everything. Other states prices may be lower and maybe thats the reason for the cripes. Keltin said which I didn't know in the south drinks are free?
we don't get free drinks up here and not all place give free refills, some places give no refills or only 1 refill. Maybe prices are lower down south and thats why those people were so rude. I have no other clue. We also pay around $10.00 for pasta and meat or meat sauce so it is normal for us.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
When I priced out the menu the first thing I did was get menus from just about every establishment in a 6 block radius of the restaurant. I'm par or less than just about every single place so I'm not concerned that I'm over charging. It rubs me wrong when some think I am, though. Strangely enough, I got something in the mail at work yesterday. It was a mailer menu from a new place that was opening not to far from me. Some items were comparable to me, but 75% of the menu was higher. They had spaghetti and meatballs priced at 9.99, before tax, lasagna at 13.00, salads at 1-2$ above mine, etc. So, clearly, I'm not overcharging.

Keltin, it's attitudes like yours (I can make it at home for less, or mention some obscure or unobtainable 'for home consumption' brand) that has me advocate that folks like you should stay home and make your own tea....where you don't have to pay a staff to prepare it, or wonder just how many free refills they'll help themselves to. By the way, you didn't factor the cost of the staff, the price of sugar, the cost of lemons, the energy it costs to run the ice machine, the water bill for the tea, the rental for the tea brewing machine, the towels that have to be laundered to clean up a spill, the glass that has to be washed or the soap needed to wash it, the straw that must be supplied, the gas surcharges to get all the necessary ingredients to my restaurant, the advertising to let the people know that I sell iced tea, the price of the menu that lists the tea or the cost of the POS computer that rings it up.

Furthermore, to compare one of my sandwiches, made in a place that will do slightly about 150K this year to a multibillion dollar chain is equally insulting and pathetic. Please stay home and make your own tea and sandwiches. Please.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
people don't factor in the stuff previously mentioned by verablue- there is so much more that goes into a single drink or a plate of pasta than many people understand.

cooking for a living, it's a labor of love, & sometimes a labor of so much more than that. it's stressful enough to work in a kitchen; now factor in owning that kitchen.

consider, for example, AP weight. then look at EP weight. would ya know the type of meat or produce to purchase? you'd cringe. check the food on arrival, reject less-than-great items.- then re-write a menu for the day because that produce you were expecting was rotting, or the veal you soooo needed for your nightly special was looking more gray than pale pink.
& then there's your employees- gotta get a paycheck to them for thier efforts. food purchasing is grueling, @ points exhausting, on so very many levels. cooking for a living ain't so very pretty.
if you expect great food from a restaurant, then don't bitch unless its a legitimate bitch. pay them & dine happily. they've likely gone thru a wringer or 5 to get that meal from its inception to table.
if ya wanna shovel in chit, there's a plethora of that available @ fast food places & if you wanna stay in 4 a nite, pop some fishsticks & crinkle-cut fies in the micro for a meal chock-ful of soggy chopped-&-formed deliciousness,....... so rock on if that's your preference.
please don't belittle, even if inadverantly, those that work so fierciely to give you a memorable & delicious meal.

Ronjohn

As someone who's been down to Vera's place and dined there, we did not find the prices out of line with the area we were in. And yes, the portions are huge, and the food delicious. If we had any complaint at all, it's that we were usually there for a late breakfast/early lunch and that resulted in us being stuffed to the point of considering skipping lunch later in the day. (Not good when you're drinking yourself around the French Quarter) :tongue:

And the irony of it? The people coming in to complain like that, have likely walked right past an Arby's, A Crystal burger, and I'm pretty sure there was a McDonald's around there, too. You want cheap? There you go. :)

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Got a call earlier today from Merril Lynch....emergency...can I cater a breakfast for 15 people in their conference room immediately?? Got the food up and out and on their table in 35 minutes. Easiest $150 of the day.

:readytoeat:

Just sold out of my brisket!

I don't normally sweat the negative people...some people simply cannot abide a sunny day. :wink:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The world is filled with A-holes and incompetents (and stupidity). Dealing with them is but one of the costs of doing business, no matter how much we'd like to take a frying pan to their heads. :bangin:
Yep, I have to agree with Buzz. Don't let em get to you Vera. Easier said than done I understand. You can do so much good in one day but one rude complaining inconsiderate sob can ruin your day. They live for that. They try to ruin folks days, they take it as their mission in life as they must not be happy themselves.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Got a call earlier today from Merril Lynch....emergency...can I cater a breakfast for 15 people in their conference room immediately?? Got the food up and out and on their table in 35 minutes. Easiest $150 of the day.

:readytoeat:

Just sold out of my brisket!

I don't normally sweat the negative people...some people simply cannot abide a sunny day. :wink:
Congrats Vera!!!! That is awesome. GREAT way to start the day. I predict they will be calling again, hopefully with more notice.

Biskit

As someone who's been down to Vera's place and dined there, we did not find the prices out of line with the area we were in. And yes, the portions are huge, and the food delicious. If we had any complaint at all, it's that we were usually there for a late breakfast/early lunch and that resulted in us being stuffed to the point of considering skipping lunch later in the day. (Not good when you're drinking yourself around the French Quarter) :tongue:

And the irony of it? The people coming in to complain like that, have likely walked right past an Arby's, A Crystal burger, and I'm pretty sure there was a McDonald's around there, too. You want cheap? There you go. :)

Them gut bomb joints ain't so cheap! Hardees Big Roast Beef combo, where I live, will set ya back $9.00 and some change. Vera's a bargain!

buckytom

Grill Master
heya biskit! good to see ya. and thanks for the karma the other day.
i agree about fast food joints. a decent meal in wendy's is probably upwards of $8 or $9 anyway.

you know, this might all be a tempest in a teapot. the bad customers might have just been having a bad day and took it out on vb. happens all the time. (umm, not necessarily to vb, but i hope you know what i mean.) foodservice in a way is the act of pleasing people, and we all know you can't do that all of the time.

Last edited:

Biskit

Nine dollars is not too much to pay for a bomb.

LOL! Buzzzz! Thing is, a fast food joint has less overhead in one area, that being labor. The customer is his own waiter, where Vera is paying people to carry the grub out to the customers. Now, if I had the choice of forking over $10 for a spaghetti meal that gets fixed and brought to me while I enjoy a bit of conversation with my dinner partner, or, spend $9-something and have to haul it around myself, Vera'd win. Unless, I was in a hurry and was going to grab'n'go.

Bucky, you're welcome.;)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
When I priced out the menu the first thing I did was get menus from just about every establishment in a 6 block radius of the restaurant. I'm par or less than just about every single place so I'm not concerned that I'm over charging. It rubs me wrong when some think I am, though. Strangely enough, I got something in the mail at work yesterday. It was a mailer menu from a new place that was opening not to far from me. Some items were comparable to me, but 75% of the menu was higher. They had spaghetti and meatballs priced at 9.99, before tax, lasagna at 13.00, salads at 1-2$ above mine, etc. So, clearly, I'm not overcharging.

Keltin, it's attitudes like yours (I can make it at home for less, or mention some obscure or unobtainable 'for home consumption' brand) that has me advocate that folks like you should stay home and make your own tea....where you don't have to pay a staff to prepare it, or wonder just how many free refills they'll help themselves to. By the way, you didn't factor the cost of the staff, the price of sugar, the cost of lemons, the energy it costs to run the ice machine, the water bill for the tea, the rental for the tea brewing machine, the towels that have to be laundered to clean up a spill, the glass that has to be washed or the soap needed to wash it, the straw that must be supplied, the gas surcharges to get all the necessary ingredients to my restaurant, the advertising to let the people know that I sell iced tea, the price of the menu that lists the tea or the cost of the POS computer that rings it up.

Furthermore, to compare one of my sandwiches, made in a place that will do slightly about 150K this year to a multibillion dollar chain is equally insulting and pathetic. Please stay home and make your own tea and sandwiches. Please.

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
LOL! Buzzzz! Thing is, a fast food joint has less overhead in one area, that being labor. The customer is his own waiter, where Vera is paying people to carry the grub out to the customers. Now, if I had the choice of forking over $10 for a spaghetti meal that gets fixed and brought to me while I enjoy a bit of conversation with my dinner partner, or, spend $9-something and have to haul it around myself, Vera'd win. Unless, I was in a hurry and was going to grab'n'go.

Bucky, you're welcome.;)

No, last I heard, Vera has no waiters. It's counter service like McDonalds. Place your order, then pick it up yourself. Unless she's change that?

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=202780&postcount=40

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
K,
Vera said:
They also didn't want to get up for the self serve condiments, either...and asked someone to bring them butter and ketchup (all of which is located on a very nice baker's rack, clearly for self-service)

So while some things were for self service full service is given when needed or expected by some customers.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
K,
Vera said:
They also didn't want to get up for the self serve condiments, either...and asked someone to bring them butter and ketchup (all of which is located on a very nice baker's rack, clearly for self-service)

So while some things were for self service full service is given when needed or expected by some customers.

Yes Doc, in that post she makes it clear the place is self-serve counter service, but because they were slow, she went the extra mile for some NJ customers and she expected to be tipped or compensated for the extra bit of work. Clearly not the norm, but a special thing she did and she expected to be tipped for going out of her way. And she was pissed because they didin't tip her for the "extra work" she supplied in her restaurant to her paying customers.

It wasn't too busy at the time so I accomodated the request, taking just about everything that had been repacked into the cooler back out for the orders. I rang it into the register myself, seeing the credit card total. I poured their coffees even though the coffee station is self serve. I prepared the breakfasts and one of my staff members served it for them, again, even though,normally a ticket number is called and the customer picks up the plate. They also didn't want to get up for the self serve condiments, either...and asked someone to bring them butter and ketchup (all of which is located on a very nice baker's rack, clearly for self-service) At this time the regular lunch crowd is coming in and the staff is busy with new orders....

They didn't leave a tip on the credit card tab. They didn't put a tip into the tip jar and they never left a tip on the table.

Last edited:

FooD

I'm pissed that the Lakers haven't been playing well lately. They don't deserve to win this series. This series belongs to New Orleans.
I'm grilling some burgers tonight and watching the game.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i am now choosing to behave as the 30-year-old gal that i am, & i'm now gracefully removing myself from this conversation.

though, my 1 thought- respect.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yes Doc, in that post she makes it clear the place is self-serve counter service, but because they were slow, she went the extra mile for some NJ customers and she expected to be tipped or compensated for the extra bit of work. Clearly not the norm, but a special thing she did and she expected to be tipped for going out of her way. And she was pissed because they didin't tip her for the "extra work" she supplied in her restaurant to her paying customers.

It wasn't too busy at the time so I accomodated the request, taking just about everything that had been repacked into the cooler back out for the orders. I rang it into the register myself, seeing the credit card total. I poured their coffees even though the coffee station is self serve. I prepared the breakfasts and one of my staff members served it for them, again, even though,normally a ticket number is called and the customer picks up the plate. They also didn't want to get up for the self serve condiments, either...and asked someone to bring them butter and ketchup (all of which is located on a very nice baker's rack, clearly for self-service) At this time the regular lunch crowd is coming in and the staff is busy with new orders....

They didn't leave a tip on the credit card tab. They didn't put a tip into the tip jar and they never left a tip on the table.

When you finally read this Vera, I'd suggest just sweeping it under the rug. I'd rather this didn't go "that way", but it can. We all have our crosses to carry, and when you air it on a public forum, never be so foolish as to think EVERYONE is going to chime in and agree. We are all different, and by posting, you get to see it. I'd rather it not go sour. Your choice. Let differences reign or try to enforce your own?

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I really feel like being pissed off at a whole world of shit, but to be honest, no matter how bad it gets, it could always be worse and I have reaaaaaaaaally learned to say eff it. Come the end of the day, there is so much crap that just doesn't matter/isn't worth getting worked up over. Life is too short, and I honestly am starting to feel bad for those that go through life, and seem like they aren't happy UNLESS they are complaining about something. How sad it must be.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I really feel like being pissed off at a whole world of shit, but to be honest, no matter how bad it gets, it could always be worse and I have reaaaaaaaaally learned to say eff it. Come the end of the day, there is so much crap that just doesn't matter/isn't worth getting worked up over. Life is too short, and I honestly am starting to feel bad for those that go through life, and seem like they aren't happy UNLESS they are complaining about something. How sad it must be.
I SOOOOOOOOOOOO agree with you!!

Most stuff isn't worth wasting time and energy on being mad at!!

I feel "If you spend all your time being miserable or mad over what you don't have or small irksome things then you have no time left to enjoy what you DO have that is good!!"

If that makes sense.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It’s an odd thing. Being pissed has the same emotional magnitude as being happy and loving life. If you look at the absolute value of each emotion, pissed or happy, they are the same size. As such, they fill the same hole.

Funny thing is, being pissed and harping on it is EASIER to obtain than the happy/love alternative. You can generate that pissed value all your own, but the happy value usually involves others (unless you get your head straight).

As such, people tend to get addicted to the high emotions of love and hate. Each being the same value, and the negative being easier to obtain as it can be self-generated. Both fill that hole and supply a “fix”, but one is short lived and leads to more self-feeding drama.

The human state is a curious one. :w00t:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I SOOOOOOOOOOOO agree with you!!

Most stuff isn't worth wasting time and energy on being mad at!!

I feel "If you spend all your time being miserable or mad over what you don't have or small irksome things then you have no time left to enjoy what you DO have that is good!!"

If that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense.

I am seriously a completely different personality now that when I was younger. I can't believe how worked up I would get, as if life depended on things to be "just so", and DAMN anyone who said differently. . .the metamorphosis started well over a decade ago, and has gone to almost a zen like Buddha state of calmness now, I embraced the mantra, "Avoid conflict, with calm poise, and balance", and have never looked back.

I, like Vera can CERTAINLY understand, and our industry can be extremely trying even in the BEST of circumstances, and it is super easy to get bent out of shape about just one lil ol person. That is when we need to remember that even if common sense came in pill form, some people still wouldn't take it.

I am all for the variety of personalities the world provides, it makes for good news/reading/friends, but some of 'em could be shipped of to Negativeville and have their own little corner of craptastic, wtf ever, they want.

For me now, as far as work goes: It's lunch and dinner, not life and death(I love my craft, and if you let me love what I do, you get to reap the rewards). And, life is too short to make others shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.