do u slather your ribs?

what do you slather your ribs before you rub them?

• mustard

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • the worchestshire sauce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • do not slather

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
do u slather your ribs b4 you cook them?

do you slather your ribs before you put rub on?

i do, with mustard or w.sauce

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I use to like extra sauce on my ribs when I could still eat tomato based sauces.

I use to enjoy eating ribs once in a while.

GrillinFool

do you slather your ribs before you put rub on?

i do, with mustard or w.sauce

Are we talking an initial slather before they hit the heat? If so then no. If you are talking about when they go into the foil then yes with either honey or syrup and then more rub to make a really nice bark....

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Are we talking an initial slather before they hit the heat? If so then no. If you are talking about when they go into the foil then yes with either honey or syrup and then more rub to make a really nice bark....

before they hit the heat

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It really depends on what I'm making, ribs just dry rub, pork butt I use mustard then rub but have done it the other way too. Brisket I use a rub or marinate and rarely use much BBQ sauce but serve it on the side warm for those that want it. I also make a few different types of glazed ribs such as orange chipotle glaze. I also brine some things as well.

AllenOK

I've only done ribs a couple of times. I've never slathered, just always rubbed.

I will say that I need to work with ribs more often to learn them better.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
No no no, you don't want to cover that yummy taste with sauces. I love it just smoked.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, I slather with mustard before rubbing. I learned that way, and now I do it more out of habit than anything
else.

Lee

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
^Gee, I don't know why my head is in the gutter tonight. I think it has to do with goat heads and a certain Meat Party that I read about.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I like to put a little honey mustard on mine first, then the rub. And yea, I take em 'wet' when they are done. IE BBQ sauce brushed on em just as they are finishing on the grill then some time in foil in the oven on low heat.
Yum!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I like to put a little honey mustard on mine first, then the rub. And yea, I take em 'wet' when they are done. IE BBQ sauce brushed on em just as they are finishing on the grill then some time in foil in the oven on low heat.
Yum!

You'll probably likes these then! :wink:

Attachments

• rack_1.jpg
    rack_1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 113
  • close_rib_1.jpg
    close_rib_1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 118

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I like Italian salad dressing on things I do in my stove/oven but never used it for grilling or smoking. I like the Good Season's brand that you mix yourself.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have pan grilled but never on a my outside grille but will try it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
me too... Keltin's look excellent

Thanks!

That was actually a full slab that I trimmed down to St. Louis style. I save the brisket and point for other things like beans, etc. I was thinking, maybe that’s why my ribs are done in only 4 hours of smoke time. These were done in 4 to 4.25 hours, and were falling off the bone. Perhaps the trimmed size contributes to my faster times over the 3-2-1 method (as mentioned in the other post).

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I don't know, usually I buy St. Louis style as well. Once in a while I get em with the tips on so I can do rib tips as well... I don't think I have ever gone that long either.

GrillinFool

I like Italian salad dressing on things I do in my stove/oven but never used it for grilling or smoking. I like the Good Season's brand that you mix yourself.

I have an entire shelf in a cabinet devoted to Italian dressing. No particular brand. I try to take a gander at the Dressing aisle whenever I am at the store. Every now and again they will be blowing out Italian for like $1/bottle and I pick up a bottle. Makes fantastic marinade bases. Add some extra garlic, black pepper, maybe some fresh herbs. Bada bing, we got a great marinade.

I've never tried it as something to slather on ribs. But I will!?!?!