do u slather your ribs?

what do you slather your ribs before you rub them?

• mustard

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • the worchestshire sauce

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • do not slather

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

leolady

Good!

I have used italian dressing on Lots of stuff I bbq and marinade for well over 20 years. Yep, you can kick it up anyway you want and adds great flavor!

waybomb

I eat ribs without bbq sauce. Just with rub, cook in tin foil for a while, then finally grilled. No sauce used.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I sauce my spareribs about 30% of the time. Baby Backs I never sauce. Beef Back ribs I tend to sauce 90% of the time.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've never done beef ribs. It's on the list....

They are actually really good. I’ve tried them many different ways, and the only method of cooking I can tolerate them is smoking low and slow. The beef ribs have a LOT of fat in them, and are just too greasy (IMHO) to eat if cooked any other way but smoking. The bones are much bigger than spareribs, so they take longer to cook. I usually run Beef ribs about 6 hours. Once they are done and the meat is falling off the bone, they are incredibly delicious and all the fat has rendered away. Plus they are fun to eat.....that massive bone makes you feel really primal when you're clutching it! :yum:

High Cheese

Saucier
I tried using mustard then a rub yesterday, they came out pretty good. In fact, the DW couldn't stop commenting on the flavor and she's not a huge fan of BBQ. Looks like I might just become a slatherer. lol

GrillinFool

I tried using mustard then a rub yesterday, they came out pretty good. In fact, the DW couldn't stop commenting on the flavor and she's not a huge fan of BBQ. Looks like I might just become a slatherer. lol

Yeah, I gotta try this. Chipotle mustard, nice sweet rub. slow and low from there....Man, I miss ribs!!!

chowhound

That's interesting how mustard adds taste to ribs, but none at all to something that takes longer, like briskets or butts. I take it it doesn't turn to bark on ribs due to the reduced cooking time?

GrillinFool

That's interesting how mustard adds taste to ribs, but none at all to something that takes longer, like briskets or butts. I take it it doesn't turn to bark on ribs due to the reduced cooking time?

The reason for the difference may lie in the surface area. With a rib you have a large surface area to meat ratio. For a butt you do not. The amount of surface area you get per average bite of pulled pork is small compared to what you get with a rib.

This is another reason I don't use salt in my rib rubs. It's really easy to oversalt ribs as they have so much surface area to meat. Thus you can be eating a lot more salt on your ribs than if you oversalted a butt.

Now, with the brisket I would see that as a tweener here for this theory. More surface area:meat ration than a butt, but not as much as ribs....So I wonder if it has a more of an effect. As not having done brisket all that often (I know it.s a crime but whenever I have the time for that long of a smoke I usually go with ribs), I can't say what the impact is here if any.

So, anyone else want to chime in on grilling theory 101?!?!? I just realized I sounded more like a teacher there than just some idiot who likes to grill and chill!?!?

High Cheese

Saucier
So, anyone else want to chime in on grilling theory 101?!?!? I just realized I sounded more like a teacher there than just some idiot who likes to grill and chill!?!?

Sounds right. Just like choosing the wood to smoke with. You can use straight masquite or other high flavor wood for a brisket but only a very small amount for something like ribs. Since you slice brisket so thin, you only get a small amount of the flavoring.