Words and Expressions that we hate

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
It could fill up a book with words and expressions and grammatical errors that I hate. Figure that we all have some, maybe a lot.

This thread can be a repository of getting crappy English off our chests (or maybe just my chest).

They don't have to be food-related, but I'll start with just 3 of food "words" that make me cringe. (Apologies to those of us who actually say these things - I love you anyway!)

'Nanner (for banana)
'Mater (for tomato)
Sammies (for sandwiches)

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
It could fill up a book with words and expressions and grammatical errors that I hate. Figure that we all have some, maybe a lot.

This thread can be a repository of getting crappy English off our chests (or maybe just my chest).

They don't have to be food-related, but I'll start with just 3 of food "words" that make me cringe. (Apologies to those of us who actually say these things - I love you anyway!)

'Nanner (for banana)
'Mater (for tomato)
Sammies (for sandwiches)

Lee
I say nanner and mater sometimes because I'm being goofy 😛
Sammies sounds childish, I don't like it either.
Sarnies is ok because it's what they call a sandwich in Yorkshire.

I cannot stand "influencer"...seems to be a thing.
Too or to.
They're/there/their... You'd be surprised how many people cannot use the proper in a simple sentence.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter

'Nanner (for banana)
'Mater (for tomato)
Sammies (for sandwiches)

Lee
I don’t use any of those lol……Sass….literally. 😉🥰

LastManStanding

Here's a list of what I hate most:
Writing ect for etc (makes me furious)
"I thing" for "I think"
Apostrophe in plural. E.g. "All the boy's came back." (Another one I really hate)
"All kind of" for "all kinds of"
Their/there/they're
And the very popular double negative - I didn't do nothing.
There's a lot more. But I can't remember now 😅

Two days ago I was watching the EPT Prague poker tournament on Pokerstars. Joe Stapleton had some really nice opinions about wrong use/usage of English words. He brought up the words undoubtedly/undoubtably, some really funny comments which I cannot remember now. He is one of the wittiest and funniest people I've ever seen, but didn't think that he had such factually correct ideas until then.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You know what I'm saying?
after every sentence or paragraph You know what I'm saying?

Had an hour long conversation with a guy I had not seen for a long while. I bet he said "You know what I'm saying?" over 100 times. :bonk:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
"like", after every other word...
"Ben, like, came over, like without calling or, like , anything..."

Absolutely horrible! It's woven tightly into the conversational fabric of mainly young people. Hard to take what they say seriously, even if you don't just stop listening.

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Watched an episode of "Chopped" this morning... Battle of the Twins...
Four sets of twins competed ... one set, two ladies, fought a running verbal battle
and constantly called each other "Dude" ..........