When is a recipe yours

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Well, that is why you keep some things to yourself, isn't it? This stuff is actually hard to copyright, per the US Patent Office, not the other way around.
My rule of thumb is if you haven't made it, don't post it but you can post a link to it and talk about it.
If you have made a recipe, feel free to tell us how you made it and what you used to make it, and use the name of the recipe to tell us what it is. For instance "Buffalo Wings with Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce". As you can see, straight to the point not claiming it as yours just posting what you made.
As for changing it around, depends on how much. If you can see it came from another source and has just been tweaked to your personal taste, then just say so. Don't take credit as if you invented the recipe, that is all. For instance, "This is my take on a recipe posted by BAM called XXX. I changed the following and this is what I did."
If you have played with it and changed it so much you can barely tell what it started out as, then that is all yours name it and post it as your unique recipe. For instance, "this is Mav's DO Easy Meat n Beans".

Of all the recipes I posted, some were made up, and some were where I read 3 or 4 of the same type to get an idea of what is common, then I put together what I wanted that was common, then I figured out how I would cook it. So that pretty much makes it my version. Nearly every recipe has been made before, so it’s hard to be completely original these days!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
So if I post KFC's coleslaw recipe and say it's mine and tastes exactly or similar to mine, I can only post the instructions and not the ingredients, save if I should add a bit more sugar or ummm whatever else?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Of all the recipes I posted, some were made up, and some were where I read 3 or 4 of the same type to get an idea of what is common, then I put together what I wanted that was common, then I figured out how I would cook it. So that pretty much makes it my version. Nearly every recipe has been made before, so it’s hard to be completely original these days!

Exactly, not to mention the propagation of recipes on the Net makes it even harder to track down origins let alone who made what when and how.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
So if I post KFC's coleslaw recipe and say it's mine and tastes exactly or similar to mine, I can only post the instructions and not the ingredients, save if I should add a bit more sugar or ummm whatever else?

Personally, if you take KFC's cole slaw recipe, change a couple of minor things then post it as they have it, that's wrong.
But if you read up on it, then make it, then change a couple of things to make it taste better to you or make it more colorful or with a better texture; then write down the list of ingredients you used and how you made it, yea it's yours.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

It's actually the other way around. You can post the ingredients verbatim, but you must change your wording on instruction.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Personally, if you take KFC's cole slaw recipe, change a couple of minor things then post it as they have it, that's wrong.
But if you read up on it, then make it, then change a couple of things to make it taste better to you or make it more colorful or with a better texture; then write down the list of ingredients you used and how you made it, yea it's yours.

Well, mine has always tasted pretty near their recipe as it was handed down to me by my Grams.
Mom made it for years too and people always said it tasted the same.
Guess I'll just keep it to myself and know it's mine, all mine :yum:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Well, mine has always tasted pretty near their recipe as it was handed down to me by my Grams.

Nope, feel free to post it so I don't have to buy theirs!! LOL. This is the problem with recipes, and why the US Patent office says it is so hard to copyright them.
I mean, five hundred people make a burger, who gets the copyright?? 20,000 make coleslaw, who has rights?
Just don't cut and paste recipes in here from somewhere else, and in fact if you have not made it at least once, don't post it here either. That is my rule, and I have no worries about any of this!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You are such a tease, Sass!!!!:lol:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Nope, feel free to post it so I don't have to buy theirs!! LOL. This is the problem with recipes, and why the US Patent office says it is so hard to copyright them.
I mean, five hundred people make a burger, who gets the copyright?? 20,000 make coleslaw, who has rights?
Just don't cut and paste recipes in here from somewhere else, and in fact if you have not made it at least once, don't post it here either. That is my rule, and I have no worries about any of this!

Understood, Mav. ;)
I'll think about posting IT.

LOL FM :flowers:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
first off damnn i like the new avatar..lol:clap:

this is instructions on coleslaw mixture at a place that i will not name but you did..lol

take one bag of premixed coleslaw veggies, put in big plastic tote,onto top of that, pour on gallon size bag of sauce mix, put on big gloves that go up to your armpits,(gas mask optional..lol),then hand mix until well combine(50-100 times), cover with plastic wrap,refridgerate for 24 hours. then sell.

Mrs.Bam use to work at the K place..lol

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Hey you know they employ cooks there now? LMAO that cracked me up, that is the selling point in their new commercials!

chowhound

I like Mav's idea of having the poster having made the recipe before. It lends some personal input to the recipe and if we have a question, they should be able to answer it, as they've made it before themselves.

I have no understanding of all this copyright thing though.... it all seems a bit foolish to me. Giving credit, tweaking a recipe just enough to change it.... it's food, what's the big deal? The way I look at it, which is probably all wrong, is like recording something off the TV. If it is for personal use and not commercial gains, what's the big deal? And where does it all end? When we post a hamburger recipe, do we give credit to the first person to press ground meat into a paddy and put it between two pieces of bread? You can post the ingredients of a rib rub, but if at the bottom it says "mix all together", then you cross the line because you included the "instructions"? Nope. I don't get it at all (lol).

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I like Mav's idea of having the poster having made the recipe before. It lends some personal input to the recipe and if we have a question, they should be able to answer it, as they've made it before themselves.
I like that idea as well. I rarely will post anything without making it myself, and posting pics as well, whenever possible.

I have no understanding of all this copyright thing though.... it all seems a bit foolish to me. Giving credit, tweaking a recipe just enough to change it.... it's food, what's the big deal? The way I look at it, which is probably all wrong, is like recording something off the TV. If it is for personal use and not commercial gains, what's the big deal? And where does it all end? When we post a hamburger recipe, do we give credit to the first person to press ground meat into a paddy and put it between two pieces of bread? You can post the ingredients of a rib rub, but if at the bottom it says "mix all together", then you cross the line because you included the "instructions"? Nope. I don't get it at all (lol).
How else can the lawyers stay busy if not to create something confusing? If you don't want your recipe plagiarized then don't post it anywhere, plain and simple. Take it to the grave with you, because if you're not willing to share with others, we probably did not want to spend any time with you while you were alive anyway. :shock: Major food corps do this all the time. If you figure out their recipe by experimenting in your own kitchen, then good for you. Otherwise, they protect their secrets. Giving credit is a vanity thing anyway. Truth be told, they probably stole the recipe from a dead relative to begin with.:yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I like that idea as well. I rarely will post anything without making it myself, and posting pics as well, whenever possible.

How else can the lawyers stay busy if not to create something confusing? If you don't want your recipe plagiarized then don't post it anywhere, plain and simple. Take it to the grave with you, because if you're not willing to share with others, we probably did not want to spend any time with you while you were alive anyway. :shock: Major food corps do this all the time. If you figure out their recipe by experimenting in your own kitchen, then good for you. Otherwise, they protect their secrets. Giving credit is a vanity thing anyway. Truth be told, they probably stole the recipe from a dead relative to begin with.:yum:

Ain't it the truth!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I know a few chef's who think home cooks can't cook at all. If you talk to them a bit about it you will find out they never had home cooking even as kids. A really strange breed especially in the high end dinning area. Then I've meet others that are really great chef's that give credit to their mothers and grandmothers for teaching them a love of good food, so no one really knows.

As for recipes with me it is the same as my paintings, if I post them then take them and call them your own periods. If you download a painting I did and want it bigger simply email me and I send you a larger version in better quality, I'm easy though just ask my wife.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I don't think I could post anything I haven't made myself, I can't recommend it especially as some of the recipes I have tried off the net have been complete garbage and have not worked at all.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I won't post one either that I haven't tried but have found a lot of recipes on the net that are excellent. Food Network has some great ones if you take those with 5 stars. I got one today watching Emeril Live on FLN.com a Pineapple Habanero Chutney which looked great and was easy to make.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That is why I only do links if I have never tried the recipe. Then I can get others take on the recipe itself and how it sounds, maybe even drag a couple of people into trying it along with me, LOL!
Yea, how do you tell people what it is like, how the flavors are, what the texture is like, if you never tried it out yourself?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I also only post what I have made. If I ever do post something I've haven't made I will make it known. And I LOVE pictures....shhhhh...it's a secret....

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I also only post what I have made. If I ever do post something I've haven't made I will make it known. And I LOVE pictures....shhhhh...it's a secret....
We all love your pictures, Mama. That way I know what a recipe is supposed to look like.:chef:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I don't make pretty food, LOL. It tastes good and everyone chows it down, but my 'plating' and 'presentation' always lack...sigh...LOL