What We're Eating Sunday May 5 - Saturday May 11 2024

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🩺
Gold Site Supporter
I was surprised these cube steaks came out nice and tender, although they did shrink a bit.
The recipe said 4 in the crockpot for 4 hrs on high.
After two hours, I turned it down to low, then left it on warm for the remaining hour.
I don't ever add salt to any recipe normally and glad I didn't. Between the two soups and the Au jus packet it was plenty salty.
Good though, very.

IMG_20240505_163132411.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹 🍉 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I was surprised these cube steaks came out nice and tender, although they did shrink a bit.
The recipe said 4 in the crockpot for 4 hrs on high.
After two hours, I turned it down to low, then left it on warm for the remaining hour.
I don't ever add salt to any recipe normally and glad I didn't. Between the two soups and the Au jus packet it was plenty salty.
Good though, very.

View attachment 66630
Did you post a link to this recipe? It looks great.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dinner tonight was a fail. I wanted to make delicious fish tacos with SilverSage's tempura again. But I bought frozen haddock fillets (thawed, of course) and they did not do well. I tried to dry them best I could, but the batter slipped off in the oil and the fish was rubbery. Pfft!

Also, Kathy's recipe makes way too much batter for one person. If I cut the ingredients in half (or more) is using one egg still fine? https://netcookingtalk.com/forums/threads/silversages-tempura-recipe-from-atk.34540/

Lee

IMG_20240505_185653.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🩺
Gold Site Supporter
Dinner tonight was a fail. I wanted to make delicious fish tacos with SilverSage's tempura again. But I bought frozen haddock fillets (thawed, of course) and they did not do well. I tried to dry them best I could, but the batter slipped off in the oil and the fish was rubbery. Pfft!

Also, Kathy's recipe makes way too much batter for one person. If I cut the ingredients in half (or more) is using one egg still fine? https://netcookingtalk.com/forums/threads/silversages-tempura-recipe-from-atk.34540/

Lee

View attachment 66637
Looks good to me!
When I've battered fresh fish recently, I've dried it off like you, dipped it in egg and then finally the bagged seasoning mix I had.
I've never experimented with homemade tempura.

Ginny

I'm planning to make BBQ Chicken mini meatloaves. I'm going to make a new-to-me Brussels Sprouts/Butternut Squash/Onions combo from the frozen section, ready to roast. Sounds good, fingers crossed. I'll like make some mashed Sweet Potatoes too. Oh, and the bakery section had some yummy looking molasses dinner rolls. I'm looking forward to dinner!
Not sure that I'll use the frozen veggies again. DH approved, but I thought the fresh made is much better. They were easy and cooking them was very similar to the meatloaf, so that was convenient. Not pictured, we had Strawberry Rhubarb pie for dessert!

Attachments

• IMG_8079.JPEG
    IMG_8079.JPEG
    2.3 MB · Views: 7

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🩺
Gold Site Supporter
I'll most likely be making something from frozen that I have on standby.
Either Marie Callender's lasagna or a burrito bake that is the store's brand.
I also brought home some HUGE gourmet cookies they had in the break room for us, for nurse's week.