What home deep fryer do you use?

Lefty

Yank
Ditto on the Euro-Pro. One gallon capacity, digital, and can use one large basket or two regular size baskets.
Easy to clean the element too, I just spray it down very well with oven cleaner and presto, good for another few months.

Wart

Banned
I don't deep fry very often.

When I do I use a cast Dutch Oven and a gas range.

When I'm done frying I ladle the oil into one or two bacon drippens cans.

Shermie

Site Supporter
We use a round Presto Fryer/Steamer. But we only fry in it. We leave the oil in it, so it’s a big plus. We can re-use the oil several times, and change it once a month. The cord/thermometer attach magnetically to the base, making storage and clean up all the easier. We only cook for 2, so this is big enough for us, and with it being round, it’s easy to store it away in a cabinet when not in use.

1z6glu0.jpg

Here's a link to it.

I have this one also, though I haven't used it for deep frying yet. :thumb:

I also have an electric turkey deep fryer, but peanut oil is needed for it, which is ridiculously expensive, and the used oil takes too long to use up. causing it to become stale.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We pay about $25 for a gallon of good peanut oil, while extra virgin olive oil is $20 a half gallon.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The manufacturer of the deep turkey fryer doen't specify that peanut oil must be used, but my brother who died has always told me that peanut oil has a much higher tolerance to extreme heat and that it won't smoke as easily.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I posted a list of smoke points of various cooking oils including butter, lard etc.

Here it is again for you.

Smoke Point of Oils and Such.

Fat Smoke Point °F Smoke Point °C

Unrefined canola oil 225°F 107°C
Unrefined flaxseed oil 225°F 107°C
Unrefined safflower oil 225°F 107°C
Unrefined sunflower oil 225°F 107°C
Unrefined corn oil 320°F 160°C
Unrefined high-oleic sunflower oil 320°F 160°C
Extra virgin olive oil 320°F 160°C
Unrefined peanut oil 320°F 160°C
Semirefined safflower oil 320°F 160°C
Unrefined soy oil 320°F 160°C
Unrefined walnut oil 320°F 160°C
Hemp seed oil 330°F 165°C
Butter 350°F 177°C
Semirefined canola oil 350°F 177°C
Coconut oil 350°F 177°C
Unrefined sesame oil 350°F 177°C
Semirefined soy oil 350°F 177°C
Vegetable shortening 360°F 182°C
Lard 370°F 182°C
Macadamia nut oil 390°F 199°C
Refined canola oil 400°F 204°C
Semirefined walnut oil 400°F 204°C
High quality (low acidity) extra virgin olive oil 405°F 207°C
Sesame oil 410°F 210°C
Cottonseed oil 420°F 216°C
Grapeseed oil 420°F 216°C
Virgin olive oil 420°F 216°C
Almond oil 420°F 216°C
Hazelnut oil 430°F 221°C
Peanut oil 440°F 227°C
Sunflower oil 440°F 227°C
Refined corn oil 450°F 232°C
Refined high-oleic sunflower oil 450°F 232°C
Refined peanut oil 450°F 232°C
Refined Safflower oil 450°F 232°C
Semirefined sesame oil 450°F 232°C
Refined soy oil 450°F 232°C
Semirefined sunflower oil 450°F 232°C
Olive pomace oil 460°F 238°C
Extra light olive oil 468°F 242°C
Ghee (Indian Clarified Butter), 485°F, 252°C
Soybean oil 495°F 257°C
Safflower oil 510°F 266°C
Avocado oil 520°F 271°C

Shermie

Site Supporter
That STILL sounds rather expensive to me.

Here's a little bit of kitchen appliance history about National Presto.

In it there's the Presto Fry Baby Deep Fryer. It was a small thing for doing single-serving sizes of French Fries, onion rings and shrimp as well as chicken pieces. Was good back in the early '70s when it was first introduced! Scroll down the page until you find the pic of it.

To take a tour of the co's history and the many things it introduced go here;

http://www.gopresto.com/information/history.php .

They also offer a complete line of deep fryers for those of you interested in getting one. Click on Products & Parts.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I have the Pro Fry myself with the double and large single basket. Use it all the time as it is easy to clean once allowed to cool down.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, I remember the old deep fryer back in the '50s & 60s.

It fried foods beautifully, but you couldn't immerse it at all. You had to clean it buy putting some hot soapy water in it and then pour it out. Same thing with rinsing it.

Cuisinart has one that looks reminiscent of that.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mine comes completely apart in a matter of second with the inner oil section simply goes into the dishwasher if you want though I do it by hand. The stainless outer section is easy to just wipe down and the heating rods can be cleaned in soap and water also as all the plugs simply pull out and the guts are above it so not likely to need more than a wipe down with a damp cloth.

I will pour the oil through a strainer into a large bowl then filter it again through coffee filters back into the gallon containers to reuse later. I generally through it away after about a month unless it gets extremely darker but then I have a good place to store it so going rancid rarely happens. I also use canola oil in mine exclusively so there is very little to no taste of oil. If I fry with peanut oil or others I tend to use a pot rather than my deep fryer.

Shermie

Site Supporter
My Presto can be washed by hand or in the dishwasher with the heater control removed. But I always wash it by hand. I seldom use it now, but it's so nice to know that it's always here waiting patiently for its next job! It's also a boiler, steamer, Dutch Oven and a slow cooker.

I very seldom fry things now because I must only eat such foods in moderation on account I'm obese, have a heart condition and I'm a diabetic.

Baked fish, chicken and other stuff are about it, along with salads

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Luckily I have no health problems but even so I do shrimp, onion rings and some appetizers mostly in the fryer. I don't do fried chicken and French fries I oven bake really. So I guess I don't eat much in the way of fried food at least deep fried but do pan fry steaks and such.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm the only person here that actually uses a current picture of myself as my avatar, the rest use their alter egos for avatars. :yum:

Shermie

Site Supporter
But you look so hot in your avatar!!!

I certainly WISH that was me in my avatar!! But I AM a very avid fan of his.

Joec, even though you might be in perfect or good health, you ALL still MUST WATCH IT AND ONLY EAT UNHEALTHY FOODS IN MODERATION. Just because you look and feel healthy, one never knows what lies beneath the surface.

Heart disease is no joke and it is nothing to fool around or play Russian Roulette with. It can lie low in healthy looking people and not show one bit of evidence until later on in life. If your heart is in A-fib like mine was, that's the start of it.

My parents might have been alive today if they ate healthy. :bb:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Man I'm 63 years old now so if I die I've had a great life. I even smoke and still no heart problems, no high blood pressure, great cholesterol etc. I really am in good shape for an old fart at 6' 2", 200 lbs with low body fat. Odds are I will die in bed with a great woman at least I can hope. :bb:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Still, try to live as long as you possibly can. No one wants to die, especially when they still got many, many, many years ahead of them! I lost one of my brothers and he was only 43!

He was the closest one to me.

Shermie

Site Supporter
What about now? Do I STILL look like him now? :)

Attachments

• Aaron 3..jpg
    Aaron 3..jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 105

Wart

Banned
I use Pomace, relatively inexpensive and has a decent flavor. $15~17 a gallon at GFS.

That STILL sounds rather expensive to me.

Per ounce , mayhaps.

But I'm using only 22 ounces or so. And it gets used several times.

I
Joec, even though you might be in perfect or good health, you ALL still MUST WATCH IT AND ONLY EAT UNHEALTHY FOODS IN MODERATION.

And this week that would be ... ? ;)

I'll give you that foods boiled in oil aren't the greatest health wise.

Shermie

Site Supporter
But i think it depends on the oil that's used though

Supposedly Canola and Olive Oils are the healthiest ones to use for frying.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's a pic of the turkey deep fryer that I own. :chef:

Attachments

• Turk'N'Surf Electric Turkey Fryer..jpg
    Turk'N'Surf Electric Turkey Fryer..jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 80

chowhound

I never saw an electric one before. That bad boy could have me frying wings again instead of grilling them... maybe (lol).

Shermie

Site Supporter
I never saw an electric one before. That bad boy could have me frying wings again instead of grilling them... maybe (lol).

Trust me, it IS a monster! I've only used it once. It uses and astronomical amount of oil!!

But you can also boil and steam with it. You can also make a large luscious clambake in it. :excl:

chowhound

My neighbor has a propane turkey fryer, but he's never used it in the eight years I've been here. I may have to borrow it some day and try to fry a small turkey. If only to pay homage to my favorite AB episode ;^)