What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Re: What are you baking today?

hi ya barb. that must be the reason less yeast long rise time.

i posted the dough recipe for the sausage bread in that thread for you.
Peep, if you go here on my website, you can see the recipe that Barb used for her no-knead bread. It is incredible bread that develops its flavor by slowly pulling the sugars out of the starch in the flour over 12-20 hours. Plus, it's a great recipe for those who cannot hand knead the dough. You literally just fold the dough after the initial rise and let it rise one more time before baking it on a covered pot. Here's some variations using the same dough.

This one was made in a Schlemertopf clay baker...
P1010158.jpg

This one was made in an old glass bread baker with a lid...
P1010159.jpg

Here's one made in a Corningware dish with lid...
P1000615.jpg

And finally, one made in an oblong La Cloche clay baker...
P1000616.jpg

Different baking vessels give you a different shaped loaf, but they all taste the same...INCREDIBLE! :chef:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

OMG, Barb - your bread is just beautiful! It has such a beautiful crust! I'm picturing it slathered with butter and some strawberry jam.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Homemade bread

homemade_white_bread_101609_P1040500.JPG

homemade_white_bread_101609_2_P1040517.JPG

and Homemade Cinnamon raisin bread.

raisin_bread_101609_1_P1040506.JPG

raisin_bread_101609_2_P1040516.JPG
OMG, I must have some of that cinnamon raisin bread. Is that butter swimming on the bread or icing?

Last edited by a moderator:

homecook

OMG, Barb - your bread is just beautiful! It has such a beautiful crust! I'm picturing it slathered with butter and some strawberry jam.

Thanks Terry! That's exactly what will be on it tomorrow morning for breakfast. LOL

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

OMG, I must have some of that cinnamon raisin bread. Is that butter swimming on the bread or icing?
thank you joe and barb. that is butter on the cinnamon raisin bread.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

Oooo, I should have scrolled up further. Peep, that raisin bread looks amazing! I love it when there are lots of raisins in it. Yours looks perfect!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Got home from work at 6 tonight and hit the flour and mixer with a mission. 4 loaves of Italian with sesame seeds just came out of the oven, and 4 loaves of Italian with poppy seeds are in the oven next. On the counter to the left are 2 batches of no-knead dough; one with Italian herbs topped with 10 grain cereal, and one with flax seeds topped with rolled oats. Those, along with one of the Italians will go in a basket tomorrow as a silent auction item for a fundraiser we're attending. The auction item is a private bread baking class in our home for up to 4 people. I did this last year and it was well received, so when I asked what kind of donation they needed, I was asked to do this again.
The rest of the Italian will go to the bake sale at church. They did not give me enough lead time to build in a baking day into my busy schedule, so I can't donate as much as I would like. I have a full day out of the house tomorrow, so there's no time to bake more.

P1020138.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Oooo, I should have scrolled up further. Peep, that raisin bread looks amazing! I love it when there are lots of raisins in it. Yours looks perfect!!
thank you fm. french toast tomorrow!! LOL

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Got home from work at 6 tonight and hit the flour and mixer with a mission. 4 loaves of Italian with sesame seeds just came out of the oven, and 4 loaves of Italian with poppy seeds are in the oven next. On the counter to the left are 2 batches of no-knead dough; one with Italian herbs topped with 10 grain cereal, and one with flax seeds topped with rolled oats. Those, along with one of the Italians will go in a basket tomorrow as a silent auction item for a fundraiser we're attending. The auction item is a private bread baking class in our home for up to 4 people. I did this last year and it was well received, so when I asked what kind of donation they needed, I was asked to do this again.
The rest of the Italian will go to the bake sale at church. They did not give me enough lead time to build in a baking day into my busy schedule, so I can't donate as much as I would like. I have a full day out of the house tomorrow, so there's no time to bake more.

P1020138.jpg
WOW!! :applause:

how much flour can your KA hold? mine is 5 qt and i can do 10 cups flour but usually only do 8 because it flys all over. how many KA batches do you do? i like to do it all by hand when i can and i have some helpers for kneading. i start with 5 lb AP flour and add whole wheat, soy and rye flours. i also add powdered milk, wheat germ and rolled oats (ground to flour texture). it has a nice nutty/rye flavor.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Peeps,

I have the basic KA. Most of my bread formulas use 1#-13 oz. of flour, and this yields 2 loaves. I made 4 batches, but I have a ritual where I get out 4 bowls then I weigh out all of the flour, add the yeast and salt and blend the dry ingredients. I also put the brown sugar in 4 ramekins ahead of time. Then I weigh my water and put it in the mixer with the brown sugar and EVOO and give it a quick stir. I then dump in all the dry ingredients and start the mixer on #1 speed and set the timer on the nuke for 7 minutes. When the mixer starts to lag, I kick up the speed to 3 and let it mix while I clean up whatever mess I have. It's like an assembly line once it gets going, and I had all the dough mixed and on first rise in less than one hour. I started at 6 and everything was on the cooling racks and the kitchen was clean by 9:30. its still on the racks covered by tea towels while it cools and dries, and I'll bag it around 5 a.m. when I turn out the no-knead bread and get it ion the parchment lined baskets.

I make large batches so often that I've developed a system for myself so it doesn't take an eternity to bake bread.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

I made apple crisp with 12 kinds of apples (1 of each kind), cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, brown sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. Topping of melted butter, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest.

apple_crisp_101709_1_P1040541.JPG

apple_crisp_101709_2_P1040544.JPG

Last edited:

Deelady

I had a sweet tooth tonight so I threw together some walnut blondies :D I'll post pics when they cool...

Meme4251

Very nice lookin baking you all got going on.. Peeps, Barb, Joe, Dee, and everyone else I happen to miss, you all did GREAT!! Meme/sh

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Very nice lookin baking you all got going on.. Peeps, Barb, Joe, Dee, and everyone else I happen to miss, you all did GREAT!! Meme/sh
thank you for the compliment meme!!

Deelady

Ok here are the blondies :) I didn't use butterscotch so they aren't as rich as you usually find them but they were very yummy!

Attachments

• hoover 021.jpg
    hoover 021.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 136

Meme4251

Dee, these sure look good..I could eat these for even breakfast in the morning....LOL...What did you use if you didn't use butterscotch? Yummy....

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Ok here are the blondies :) I didn't use butterscotch so they aren't as rich as you usually find them but they were very yummy!
oh yummy!! i want some of this and some of those chocolate chip nut cookies!!

Deelady

Thanks Meme and Barb :) Sorry Meme I missed your question before...I just used walnuts, they were still plenty sweet enough from the brown sugar :)

Shermie

Site Supporter

Joev, give me your kitchen! I like the way it looks.

homecook

I made Suziquzie's Carmelized Onion/Roasted Garlic Foccacia and added some Black Garlic.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 159

Shermie

Site Supporter

I might make something sweet, but I don't know what yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.