The "Breakfast" thread

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Brunch.
I made a fried egg and put it on leftover cinnamon rice.
It's good 😊

IMG_20240120_110029602~2.jpg

Jusa

I made creamed chipped beef over toast with fried runny-yolk eggs. I put some cremini mushrooms and a little shallot in with some butter and sauteed it, then made a roux and added beef broth and cream (and salt), served over toast with the eggs and then the gravy on top (hubby's portion pictured below with 3 eggs and 2 pieces of toast) and a few grinds of pepper. It was good!
1707086816021.jpeg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made creamed chipped beef over toast with fried runny-yolk eggs. I put some cremini mushrooms and a little shallot in with some butter and sauteed it, then made a roux and added beef broth and cream (and salt), served over toast with the eggs and then the gravy on top (hubby's portion pictured below with 3 eggs and 2 pieces of toast) and a few grinds of pepper. It was good!
View attachment 64450

Looks great to me, Jusa!

Lee

Jusa

Looks great to me, Jusa!

Lee
Thanks! I used that Buddig brand of beef. I think my MIL used to use the jarred dried chipped beef when my husband was a little boy but I saw the refrigerated pouches in with the lunch meat section and got it instead. Hub was always talking fondly of it and I had never made it before or even tasted it. She didn't make it as a breakfast thing with eggs, hers was served for dinner. Anyway, he said it tasted a lot like hers but he liked the addition of the runny egg.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
View attachment 64450
My husband is drooling over this pic! I’ve never made this….any recipe?

Jusa

My husband is drooling over this pic! I’ve never made this….any recipe?
Ah I didn't use a recipe. I just guessed it, but basically I remember sliicing 3 large cremini mushrooms (aka baby bellas but white buttons would work fine) and sauteeing them in about a tbsp of butter with a drizzle of Grapeseed oil probably 1/2 tsp (any neutral oil will do) with about 1 tsp diced shallot (any onion would work or omit it).

When they looked cooked, I turned off the burner to cool it down and added a large splash of beef broth (probably 1/4 cup) and about 1/4 cup of 1/2 n 1/2 (milk should work). I stirred in a heaping spoon (probably 1.25 tbsp) of flour until dissolved, then cooked it for a few minutes to remove the flour taste and until it thickened (stirring constantly).

Then I added about 2 tbsp heavy cream and chopped up a package of that Buddig beef found in the refrigerated cold cuts section of the grocery store. Mix it in thoroughly and add salt to taste. (Edit: I forgot that I used a little garlic powder in there too). If it's too thin, add a little more heavy cream and cook longer to reduce it. If it looks too thick, add a little more beef broth. The beef is salty which is why you don't salt it before. I gave my husband 2 pieces of toast with 3 fried eggs on his and smothered it with the creamed chipped beef, then ground several dashes of pepper on it. There was enough mixture left for my 1 piece of toast and 1 egg, which was perfect (my serving pictured below).
20240204_143323.jpg

Last edited:

Jusa

So I found several recipes online for creamed chipped beef. I looked at them and none of them have the heavy cream or beef broth in them. I am sure they taste fine but I have never eaten creamed chipped beef before I made my version of it. If you don't have heavy cream or beef broth on hand and want to try one with just milk, there are several I saw that look good. They make such large quantities of the gravy (I'd have to scale it down for me and hubby) and the online ones don't add mushrooms or shallot (and don't serve with eggs). Also I see that some people actually use that dried beef that comes in the jar (shelf stable). I have heard that is super salty, which is one of the reasons I chose to use that package of Buddig meat instead.

Today we are going to have banana oatmeal pancakes with honey and maple syrup. Can't eat that yummy creamed chipped beef all the time, too rich and probably not very healthy, LOL. Maybe a few times every few months would be okay.

Last edited:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Ah I didn't use a recipe. I just guessed it, but basically I remember sliicing 3 large cremini mushrooms (aka baby bellas but white buttons would work fine) and sauteeing them in about a tbsp of butter with a drizzle of Grapeseed oil probably 1/2 tsp (any neutral oil will do) with about 1 tsp diced shallot (any onion would work or omit it).

When they looked cooked, I turned off the burner to cool it down and added a large splash of beef broth (probably 1/4 cup) and about 1/4 cup of 1/2 n 1/2 (milk should work). I stirred in a heaping spoon (probably 1.25 tbsp) of flour until dissolved, then cooked it for a few minutes to remove the flour taste and until it thickened (stirring constantly).

Then I added about 2 tbsp heavy cream and chopped up a package of that Buddig beef found in the refrigerated cold cuts section of the grocery store. Mix it in thoroughly and add salt to taste. (Edit: I forgot that I used a little garlic powder in there too). If it's too thin, add a little more heavy cream and cook longer to reduce it. If it looks too thick, add a little more beef broth. The beef is salty which is why you don't salt it before. I gave my husband 2 pieces of toast with 3 fried eggs on his and smothered it with the creamed chipped beef, then ground several dashes of pepper on it. There was enough mixture left for my 1 piece of toast and 1 egg, which was perfect (my serving pictured below).
View attachment 64461
Thank you!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Every sub shop on every corner in my area has a pepper, potato and egg sub on the menu. Evidently, it has Italian roots, but I've never had one. Sounded weird to me.

Anyway, I had a half of a baked potato to get rid of, a poblano pepper and a carton of liquid eggs. So I mixed it up, with some onion. Not impressed - too bland. So now I know.

Lee

IMG_20240210_080643.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Every sub shop on every corner in my area has a pepper, potato and egg sub on the menu. Evidently, it has Italian roots, but I've never had one. Sounded weird to me.

Anyway, I had a half of a baked potato to get rid of, a poblano pepper and a carton of liquid eggs. So I mixed it up, with some onion. Not impressed - too bland. So now I know.

Lee

View attachment 64593
I'd eat it 😄

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter

Lee

View attachment 64593
It looks good!

Jusa

I love, love, love smoked salmon on bagels. I have found that making a mixture of the cream cheese, capers, shallot, and smoked salmon keeps it all from falling off the bagel. I like topping it with fresh ripe avocado slices and sprinkles of everything bagel seasoning. Yum!

1709155933941.jpeg