Take Out - Burgers!

Once in awhile, we used to eat at a bar/grill called the Riverbottom. The burgers were ginormous (width-wise), w/ a bun to match. I could almost taste the charcoal. The burger didn't need much else, except grilled onions (& sometimes cheese, for me).

In & Out Rocks for freshness.

Once in a blue moon, if I feel like chili - Tommy's is good. But, would rather have the chili on the dawg.

I have yet to try Fatburger (& their Mauii banana shake). (Saw an episode on Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, where they had a pool party catered by same. The burger looked so big, you can't wrap your mouth around it.) So, the search for the best continues.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
If we're talkin' chili burgers all the way it's hands down Lexington Hot Grill!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I haven't had White Castle in a long time. We don't have any around here. I ate there once on a trip up north, but from what I can remember, they taste pretty much the same.

There is one in Hollywood, Alabama, just outside of Scottsboro - head east on 72 and don't stop! :lol:

A bit of a drive from Huntsville, but a fun thing to do on a Saturday or Sunday! And yeah, WC is just like Krystals.

Deelady

Everyone is naming my FAVS!!

Fudruckers (also always need to buy fresh rolls and brownies from the bakery!! but sadly they moved away fropm our area!)

Five Guys is awesome!

Carls Jr/Hardees is always a favorite

And In/Out will always be near and dear to my heart :) but again sadly none in our state..

mhend

There is one in Hollywood, Alabama, just outside of Scottsboro - head east on 72 and don't stop! :lol:

A bit of a drive from Huntsville, but a fun thing to do on a Saturday or Sunday! And yeah, WC is just like Krystals.

Cool! I didn't know that. I'll have to try it the next time I head to Chattanooga. Thanks!:thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Years ago I ate at a Big Boy's in Illinois. Awesome place and food. Don’t have any Big Boy’s around here, but I love the memories.

Ate at a Steak and Shake in Tennessee, and LOVED it. Great burgers and fries. They opened a Steak N Shake here in town a couple years ago and I still love it.

Red Robin and 5 Guys are both in town and on my to-do list soon.

Another I need to do is “Cheeburger Cheeburger”, another local restaurant that I hear is great.

For eating on the go, I’m still a sucker for McDonald’s Quarter pounder with cheese. No lettuce or tomato to fall all about the car…..easy to eat on the move, and rather tasty and filling.

Deelady

Oh I forgot about Red Robin! Yum and another sinful delight I used to indulge in from time to time was Jack In the Box's Ultimate Cheese Burger!! Talk about a beef coma!!

mhend

Years ago I ate at a Big Boy's in Illinois. Awesome place and food. Don’t have any Big Boy’s around here, but I love the memories.

Ate at a Steak and Shake in Tennessee, and LOVED it. Great burgers and fries. They opened a Steak N Shake here in town a couple years ago and I still love it.

Red Robin and 5 Guys are both in town and on my to-do list soon.

Another I need to do is “Cheeburger Cheeburger”, another local restaurant that I hear is great.

For eating on the go, I’m still a sucker for McDonald’s Quarter pounder with cheese. No lettuce or tomato to fall all about the car…..easy to eat on the move, and rather tasty and filling.

I forgot about Cheeburger, Cheeburger. It's really good. Their fries are awesome and the milkshakes are fabulous! Haven't been in a long time though.

PanchoHambre

I love the Castle. There used to be one down the street when I lived in NY I miss that place at 2AM!

Love InN'Out but my true favorite it Whataburger not sure why just love them.

Here in Philly the best bet chain wise is Rally's or Sonic

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
burger king; & though they're dine-in fuddrucker's ostrich burgers, sans bread & w/ steak sauce & lettuce/tomato & an adult drink, ummmm! i used 2 luv thier fries, too, & the abundance of cheese~

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
There's a Rallys here too..looks like some other place..

I have to admit to a secret love of the McDonalds burger with cheese. Can't help myself.

i used 2 get a double cheeseburger there a few years ago so very often!~

buckytom

Grill Master
Arrrrggghhhhh Choke Gag

One whole pound? Really? I hope they only sell them to sumos....

lol, yeah, it's big.

i've ordered a buffalo sumo burger before, usually drunk as a skunk. i have to say it was quality meat so gagging wasn't considered, but the buffalo version was more like 12 ozs..

a real beef sumo is really big.

but hold on to your panties, buzz, that's not the worst of it. one night a few of the ny knicks players (giant people) came in and ordered beef sumo burgers, topped with ham, bacon, cheese and fried eggs. my jaw dropped as they passed me on their way to the table.

and to make it even better, their price "starts" at $8.50. that's just for the burger on a regular (therefore undersized) bun.

deluxe (with lettuce, tomato, onion, and a side o' fries) is another $3.

cheese is more than a buck extra, and so is the "brioche" roll that they sell that matches the size of the meat.

add anything else, plus tax, and you're talking an $18 to $20 giant burger and fries.

that's what makes me choke. :wink:

PanchoHambre

the Rally's here has a bacon cheeseteak burger on Texas toast (and yes that is cheeseteak and bacon ON a burger .... so wrong but still good and worth the 6mos it took of my life

Leni

We used to have several Big Boys in the Valley including a drive in with the waitresses on roller skates. Now we're down to one in North Hollywood. It is still my favorite and their hot fudge sundays are to die for.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We had 1 Bob's Big Boy (is that the Big Boy your all talking about?) years ago but it closed like 30 years ago. Actually EVERYTHING thats ever been in that spot has closed in short time. I haven't come across any others. I vaguely remember they had great burgers, fries, onion rings and burger pickles.

I do like Ruby Tuesday if I'm in the mood. (I used to love their Mud Slides!! LOL milk shake with a kick)

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
This is the Frisch's Big Boy I used to eat at years ago.
I think they have really nice food all around, and their burgers were good too.
Hmmm looks like they've moved Big Boy to the front of the restaurant LOL
He used to be on the west side on the grassy area, until some college kids stole him once and asked for ransom. haha

FBB.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I can't really see the one in your pic. Is it like this one? If so I wonder if the name is changed in other places.

Attachments

• bobs_big_boy.jpg
    bobs_big_boy.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 152

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I can't really see the one in your pic. Is it like this one? If so I wonder if the name is changed in other places.

Yep, exactly like that.
I don't know much about the history behind the names on Big Boy restaurants Peeps, but I've known of Bob's, Frisch's and Azar's in this part of the country.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Yep, exactly like that.
I don't know much about the history behind the names on Big Boy restaurants Peeps, but I've known of Bob's, Frisch's and Azar's in this part of the country.
I didn't see any when we were in Ohio. :sad: All I ever see are those express type in a rest area on the 95. Those are NEVER as good as the real sit down ones with wait staff.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I didn't see any when we were in Ohio. :sad: All I ever see are those express type in a rest area on the 95. Those are NEVER as good as the real sit down ones with wait staff.

I don't think there are many left in Ohio like there used to be.
I do know of the one in Defiance, Ohio and the one in Fort Wayne, Indiana and have eaten at both, but that was many moons ago.

Here's some history behind it.
Interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Boy_(restaurant)

Mr. Green Jeans

My favorite is a local, family owned chain Burgerville. The beef is grass fed, organic. The menu changes seasonally (the Orgeon blackberry shakes and Walla Walla sweet onion rings are killer!) using local foods. Have to admit this carnivore even enjoys their spicy black bean burger too!

There is, or was, a Bob's in Burbank, Ca. Haven't been there in eons.

http://www.bobs.net/
stock.jpg

We're surrounded by burger joints in lala land.

Hamburger Hamlet (good, but a little pricey)
http://hamburgerhamlet.com/

http://hamburgerhamlet.com/assets/menus/CoreMenu.WEST.9-21-10.pdf

Johnny Rockets (ate there once or twice)

http://www.johnnyrockets.com/index2.php

Once in awhile, I like Marie Callender's

http://www.mcpies.com/our_food/menu.php

Last edited: