NCT Cooks Challenge Week 2-May 10-17 Japanese

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Week 2 is Japanese....Sushi, sashimi, terriyaki, udon noodles, green tea, edamame, miso, sake, gyoza, shumai..... Lots and lots to choose from.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
This should be fun! I'm thinking chicken yakitori or hibachi chicken or something similar. I also love those tepenyaki veggies (zucchini, mr's, onion, beans sprouts) that they serve at the Japanese "cook it at your table" like Sho Gun. Then there's always tempura :wub:.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Well, last Saturday night's dinner (with pictures I still have to post!!:oops:) was the last official photo op dinner I'd be doing in this house. I was thinking of doing terriyaki chicken or beef strips and some simple rice for friday night, though.

Ronjohn

Can I scan Japanese writing off of one of my old business cards for this one? :D

Or does it need to be food?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Why not serve some sushi on your artwork??? But, you hafta make the sushi, son.:twak:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I got a piece of sashimi grade tuna. Packed black & white sesame seeds on the surfaces. Seared it in a hot pan with a bit of olive oil. Sliced it thinly.

Served it with sliced pickled ginger and Maple/Wasabi Dipping Sauce

Maple/Wasabi Dipping Sauce
2 parts wasabi paste
2 parts maple syrup (grade B if you have it)
1 part rice vinegar

Attachments

• sashimi 001.jpg
    sashimi 001.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 363
  • sashimi 003.jpg
    sashimi 003.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 350

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm going to try that recipe, Dee. It looks and sounds delicious!

We're off to a great start on Battle Japanese!:chef:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
fantastic looking food!! and the little sweetie in the apron is beautiful!!

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Today, on our menu:

Chicken katsu
Fried and Steamed vegetable Goyza
Tempura shrimp
Edamame w/ sea salt
Seaweed salad
Steamed Rice
Stir fried vegetable (Action station)
Miso broth with tofu and green onion

Deelady

Today, on our menu:

Chicken katsu
Tempura shrimp
Edamame w/ sea salt
Seaweed salad
Steamed Rice

Wow thats some menu!! Sounds yummy!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Today, on our menu:

Chicken katsu
Tempura shrimp
Edamame w/ sea salt
Seaweed salad
Steamed Rice

This sounds great! Will we get pics?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Keltin, I WANT some of that!!!!

The pic looks like you dredged it and deep fried it, but when I read the recipe I see you marinated it and gave it a quick saute. It looks like it has little bits of crunch on the outside - does it?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, I WANT some of that!!!!

The pic looks like you dredged it and deep fried it, but when I read the recipe I see you marinated it and gave it a quick saute. It looks like it has little bits of crunch on the outside - does it?

One plate coming up!

DW commented about that build up as well - it does look like breading.

Turns out, it's not breading, but bits of the grated ginger bunching up as the sauce evaporated. But, it wasn't crunchy. A few little brown bits (edges of the pork) from the fast stir fry, but not much of anything crunchy. A very interesting and tasty dish. :biggrin:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Lou is not a japanese cuisine fan...still trying how to get into this challenge without him knowing he's eating japanese cuisine:whistling:

Thanks to all who have posted already. You are all making me want another trip to Yuki Hana

SilverSage

Resident Crone
This is Yakitori (grilled skewered chicken) with Shrimp Tempura and Yaki Onigiri (grilled rice balls).

Gee Keltin, each plate looks better than the next. The yakitori looks fantastic, and I so love tempura. What's your batter recipe? It looks light and perfect.

I have to spread some K around first, but I owe you some for this. :applause:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This is Yakitori (grilled skewered chicken) with Shrimp Tempura and Yaki Onigiri (grilled rice balls).

Awesome Keltin!!!! mmmmm, my mouth is watering. That looks sooooo good. Good job man!!!!!!! :D

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Gee Keltin, each plate looks better than the next. The yakitori looks fantastic, and I so love tempura. What's your batter recipe? It looks light and perfect.

I have to spread some K around first, but I owe you some for this. :applause:

The Tempura batter?

Uh......

Well........

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Seafood/Breadings-and-Batter/Tempura-Seafood-Batter-Mix.aspx

:yum:

Sorry! But I had so much other stuff to make, and I didn't get home till nearly 8PM, I just took the easy way out on the batter. It was very good though! I'll actually use it again. :hide:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Beef terriyaki with boston lettuce, scallions and red pepper, add nishiki rice, and roll

May2010086.jpg

May2010089.jpg

Or, add seared tuna and mango slices

May2010091.jpg

Served with edamame and black lava sea salt
May2010087.jpg

Shrimp gyoza (store bought, sorry) and panko crusted fried shrimp with a ponzu (soy, lemon zest, ginger, garlic, wine) dipping sauce
May2010088.jpg

May2010090.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The marinade was soy sauce, red wine (it was a syrah, actually), grated ginger, chopped garlic, lemon zest, chili oil.

I have tons left over...:alc: