My Rice Cooker Broke!!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here it is.

The latch is where the rectangular button is at the front just at the bottom of the lid.

That is the part that broke off, along with the small spring that was under it. :ohmy:

Attachments

• zojurushi 3-cup rice cooker..jpg
    zojurushi 3-cup rice cooker..jpg
    6 KB · Views: 148

Embryodad

Here it is.

The latch is where the rectangular button is at the front just at the bottom of the lid.

That is the part that broke off, along with the small spring that was under it. :ohmy:

Ahhhh! Shooot! What a Bummer! You should be able to get the lid latch and spring on line. I just got a handle for a 89.00 panini maker from Krups. It was...3.49 and shipping was 3,69. It was broken because it was just thrown in a clloset by people who have NO RESPECT for cooking impliments.
It's like my new rice cooker. They misplaced the rice paddle that scoops out the rice without scratching the non stick coating.
Now...there are wooden spoons in this house, but NOOoooooo....Someone was scraping out the rice with a heavy metal serving spoon. The sides are all scratched now! tHAT iRKS THE LIVEN sHOOT OUTA ME!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Ahhhh! Shooot! What a Bummer! You should be able to get the lid latch and spring on line. I just got a handle for a 89.00 panini maker from Krups. It was...3.49 and shipping was 3,69. It was broken because it was just thrown in a clloset by people who have NO RESPECT for cooking impliments.
It's like my new rice cooker. They misplaced the rice paddle that scoops out the rice without scratching the non stick coating.
Now...there are wooden spoons in this house, but NOOoooooo....Someone was scraping out the rice with a heavy metal serving spoon. The sides are all scratched now! tHAT iRKS THE LIVEN sHOOT OUTA ME!!

I'm going to try that! I think Smallappliances.com might have the parts. :thankyou:

Embryodad

I'm going to try that! I think Smallappliances.com might have the parts. :thankyou:
I would Shermie ...
That's a really swell ricecooker in the first place, and well worth the try.
I will look at the place I got my part, and I'll send you the link if it;s differenf than small appliances . com....

BTW.... The Luck of the Irish Te Ya Lad!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Smallappliances.com has friggen changed it name and format of the website! I'll have to Google the parts for mine.

In the meantime, here's the one that I saw yesterday at BB&B for $99. Looks like it can do about 5 or 6 cups of rice.

Attachments

• Zojurushi rice cooker.jpg
    Zojurushi rice cooker.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 144

Embryodad

Smallappliances.com has friggen changed it name and format of the website! I'll have to Google the parts for mine.

In the meantime, here's the one that I saw yesterday at BB&B for $99. Looks like it can do about 5 or 6 cups of rice.
Darn.....I did come across a thread on a yahoo forum that had the part for 1.20 called lid latch and spring and now I lost it.
There was a problem with the latch on the machine that some had broken.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've decided to try the Black & Decker unit, like the one picture on the previous page.

After doing some exhaustive research, it appears to me that THIS one is the one to get.

Most of the customer reviews at Amazon.com are very pleased with it and they are recommending it. So I ordered it from Amazon today. :wink:

Attachments

• Black & Decker 16-Cups Rice Cooker.jpg
    Black & Decker 16-Cups Rice Cooker.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 128

Embryodad

I've decided to try the Black & Decker unit, like the one picture on the previous page.

After doing some exhaustive research, it appears to me that THIS one is the one to get.

Most of the customer reviews at Amazon.com are very pleased with it and they are recommending it. So I ordered it from Amazon today. :wink:
Lots of luck with that one Shermie....

I like the place for the rice scooper / paddle / etc that it has its own place to keep it so it won't get lost.
Another thing, is there is no latch / hinge to break.

I have a cuisinart that is basically the same exact as the B & D you show, but the outside is square even though the kettle is round.

Did the B&D come with a steamer basket too?? That is a good thing too.
I steam hot dogs in that attachement, and I also use the kettle to add about two cups of water, and then after it boils and shuts off, I have another bowl that fits inside that, and I keep the mashed potatoes warm for serving hot. The warm feature does not boil the water; but keeps it warm enough to keep the potatoes warm.

I would imagine, it could be used to keep soup or sauce and meatballs warm too.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I stopped buying white appliances, they just look dirty all the time. I end up paying more for black or silver ones.

I also noticed that this one doesn't have features for brown rice.

Shermie

Site Supporter

I like the place for the rice scooper / paddle / etc that it has its own place to keep it so it won't get lost.

I have a cuisinart that is basically the same exact as the B & D you show, but the outside is square even though the kettle is round.

I steam hot dogs in that attachement, and I also use the kettle to add about two cups of water, and then after it boils and shuts off, I have another bowl that fits inside that, and I keep the mashed potatoes warm for serving hot. The warm feature does not boil the water; but keeps it warm enough to keep the potatoes war

Unfortunately , it doesn't come with that. Bu I want it anyway.

Chocolate Moose, I hear you! My ice cream machine was white but it turned yellow, but it still works fine. Next time, I'll get one in another color. :mellow:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Unfortunately , it doesn't come with that. Bu I want it anyway.

Chocolate Moose, I hear you! My ice cream machine was white but it turned yellow, but it still works fine. Next time, I'll get one in another color. :mellow:

My new B&D rice cooker is on its way here! It should come around Thursday or Friday. :wink:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, Rick.

It's only $28. Far cheaper than the little Zojurushi that I bought several years ago. About 3/4 cheaper.

I spend a little bit more than that on liquor, beer & wine coolers.

thegrindre

I'm afraid I don't drink so alcohol isn't an expense of mine.

$28 is a little high for my pocketbook when a sauce pan works just fine for me.

Enjoy it! I know you will...

:)

Embryodad

When I cook rice for meself...I can manage a small pot, but need to place a heat diffuser on the flame because it can and will burn the rice on the bottom.
Nothing worse than burned taste.

I can control that because as my brother had said,"A good chef / cook never walks away from the kitchen!" .... LOL...

For cooking for several; like for when the kids come over to eat, or if I want to orchestrate the rice to be done at serving time, I will use the rice cooker.

I don't cook rice that frequently even though I do like it, but it must be the right doneness. Now DD likes the rice crunchy and having a snap bite to it.
DW likes her rice fluffy and mushy.

The wife likes that Kocoho (sp?) rice that is sticky. I don't like rice stuck to each other. Too gluey for me. Spaghetti is a different story. I like it stuck to each other, and hard bite. I cook shells by placing 1/2 into the boiling water, and after they swell a little, I throw in the remaining 1/2 so that the small shells spoon together inside the other ones. LOL... Sometimes I get a three spooner, and that is a treat. hahahahaha....
i also cook MY SPAGHETTI in starting with COLD water, and when it comes to a boil I DO NOT, hahahaha stir it. I like it when it all sticks to each other. Ummmm
I love the tooth bite.

I've gone as far as shoving ziti inside rigatoni and boiling them slowly. OH Gosh!
SOooooo Tasty! Tina yells at me and says,"Your gonna get fat!" ....
I say,"So what!" "FAT is the story of my life!" They don't call me "Big Jimmy" for nothing! LOL

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm still old school and use a sauce pan with a lid and pay attention to it as needed. I see no use for a single use appliance (except a fire extinguisher) that just takes up valuable pantry space, but understand how folks get attached to their gadgets.

Shermie

Site Supporter

I steam hot dogs in that attachement, and I also use the kettle to add about two cups of water, and then after it boils and shuts off, I have another bowl that fits inside that, and I keep the mashed potatoes warm for serving hot. The warm feature does not boil the water; but keeps it warm enough to keep the potatoes warm.

I thought that the unit that I'm getting doesn't come with a steamer basket, but I found out that it DOES.

How I found out is that I was in Macy's today and was browsing in the housewares dept. it is shown on the box.

But it's a good thing that I didn't plane on getting one there!! I just wanted to see the size of it, which looks alright.

But what I was so shocked and appalled to find out was that there were 12 or so boxes there, and they all were broken into, tampered with and parts were taken out and left on top of the boxes!!!

Again, the flaps were sticking out just like in BB&B with the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cookers!!! Why in the hell do they allow people to do that to merchandise?!!! That is one of my worst pet peeves!!! It's just so blasted aggravating and annoying!!!

That makes me furious, and it kills a sale right there!!! :furious::furious:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here it is! Came about 15 minutes ago.

I'll try it out probably by Sunday.

Doesn't look all that big though, but as long as it works properly, that's alright by me!! :wink:

Attachments

• 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 152

Shermie

Site Supporter
Trying out the new rice cooker now.

With 2 cups of raw rice, which totals 4 cups of cooked rice with the water, a little butter and salt. So far, so good!

Last edited:

Embryodad

Trying out the new rice cooker now.

With 2 cups of raw rice, which totals 4 cups with the water, a little butter and salt. So far, so good!
Are you? will you? / Take pics.?

I know rice is rice, and dollars are dollars...but a pic is nice of Shermies Rice! LOL

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hah!! Very nice! Here are a couple of pics to prove it!!!

Got slightly brown on the bottom from the cooker being in the Warm mode just a bit too long, but I got no problem eating the rice, since I've eaten rice browned on the bottom many times before!!

And since this is regular long grain rice, I use slightly less water that the suggested amount to avoid soggy or gummy rice. It came out very good for the first try in the unit!!
Cleanup is a cinch as well!! Just was all removable parts in warm soapy water. Rinse and dry.:bbq3:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 149
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Embryodad

I like that nice cooker.

I love hot dogs steamed in the rice cooker. The grease from the hot dogs drip out.

Lots of luck with it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks!

I do also, now that I tried it for the first time!

Not that I was skeptical of its performance, but I KNEW that it was going to be a success on the first try!

thegrindre

The two I once owned browned the bottom of my rice, too. I don't like browned white rice.
I'll stick with my sauce pan method since I'm only cooking 1/3 cups for myself.

Enjoy it, Sherm. I know you will.
:)

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks, and I DO!

I probably can make as little as 1 cup of rice, or as much as 16 cups of rice.

But I'll probably not make that much unless it's yellow rice and it's for a little get-together or a party.

Here another nice thing about this unit! You can hang the lid on the side of the cooker while you're checking on the steamed foods or checking and fluffing up the rice a little!

That is when the detachable condensation catcher catches any condensation from under the lid, instead of it running onto the countertop or table! :wink:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Embryodad

Shermie...

here is the one Tina bought...

It is a basic cooker, and is only in a square wrapper. I like the retractable cord feature, but it wouldn't phase me if it didn't.

The steamer basket is shown also.
I'm making only 2 cups of rice tonight which will puff up to 6 cooked cups approx.

ricecooker002.jpg

ricecooker003.jpg

ricecooker004.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
Shermie...

here is the one Tina bought...

It is a basic cooker, and is only in a square wrapper. I like the retractable cord feature, but it wouldn't phase me if it didn't.

The steamer basket is shown also.
I'm making only 2 cups of rice tonight which will puff up to 6 cooked cups approx.

ricecooker002.jpg

ricecooker003.jpg

ricecooker004.jpg

Very nice!

Yours has a STAINLESS STEEL steamer basket. I'm jealous! Hah!!

Most of Cuisinart's small appliances have that very distinctive square look!

Looks like they all seem to have that little round button thingy at the bottom center of the cooking chamber. The bowl sits on that and resets the cooker, but only when the bowl is put in for cooking rice or steaming veggies & seafood. :)

Last edited: