My first brisket

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
GREAT job, Jay!!!!

It looks fantastic, and judging by the juice on the board, I'm betting it was tender and juicy!!!

Bravo!

I love that fat line!!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome HC! That was your first one?? You definitely knocked it out of the park. You’re a pro on your first outing! God job!

buckytom

Grill Master
Came out great, I don't like the fat line rnning through it but it is what it is. Was definately moist.

IMG_3112.jpg

sweep!!!

umm, i meant "sweet", cheeks.

lol, sweet cheeks. i'd better stop now.

High Cheese

Saucier
Tell me about it Lee! lol We'll be IN the playoffs, and that's all that matters.

So the brisket came out pretty good, gonna change up a few things next time. For one, the oak was nice but I think I'll try a different wood like Mesquite. I like the beer and brown sugar mop but I think I'll use a darker variety of beer.
I'm still not sold on the foil. :\ Any 'bark' I created was lost by all the moisture which, in turn lost any texture. Maybe put the meat back over the hot spot of the smoker for a few minutes to crisp up a tad? ...or just leave out the foil? I keep the meat pretty moist (actually whenever I BBQ) I baste at least every 20-30 minutes. Might be overkill but I like the buildup of flavors.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Putting together a few things that I have read. How about this/

I believe that I read that after about 4 hours of smoking that the meat has absobd all of the smoke that it was going to.

I did the foil too and also lost any of the bark.

I also had a stall at about 160.

Would some sort of a reverse sear kind of thing work? Start the brisket in foil (The heat source would nto be significant at this point (Oven or grill) ) Reacg a certain internal temp and then take the oil off and smoke it?

Any opinions?

High Cheese

Saucier

I believe that I read that after about 4 hours of smoking that the meat has absobd all of the smoke that it was going to.

Would some sort of a reverse sear kind of thing work? Start the brisket in foil (The heat source would nto be significant at this point (Oven or grill) ) Reacg a certain internal temp and then take the oil off and smoke it?

Any opinions?

To do what, maintain the bark?

chowhound

I didn't go for crispy bark when I did mine. I had bark, but it's not like making pulled pork, where you like the bark goodies mixed in with the shredded pork. I think for sliced brisket, moist bark is good. That's my taste though.
The only real way for me to tell, Jay, is for you to wrap up the rest real good, pack it in dry ice and send it to me. Do you know any good courier services? (lol)

High Cheese

Saucier
I've seen recipes that call for foil and some that don't. I read some recipes from The King and one stated to wrap in foil if preferred. I get the foil bit and know what it does, but it ruins the crust I built up from the rub and mop. ???

I think I'm gonna pick up another one, since they're only there once a year, and experiment.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Any opinions?

I would smoke the meat first then finish in the oven or on the grill. Meat will only except smoke while it is pretty raw and once it gets to a given internal temp it will stop accepting smoke. Faster cooking things like fish, pork will probably get there in about 2 hours while brisket would probably take 4 hours or more in some cases.

Hard to get a bark with foil if not impossible.

High Cheese

Saucier
Here's a response from Steven Raichlen's P.A.

Unfortunately, it is kind of a "one or another" situation. Foil keeps the brisket moist--Steven occasionally uses it himself--but you do lose that good crusty bark when you encase the meat in foil. I believe I'm correct in saying most of the "pros" do not use foil.

Best,

Nancy L.
Personal Assistant to Steven Raichlen

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
What I was getting at with the "Reverse Sear" idea is this.

If the meat was warmed and in effect started cooking before putting it on the smoker, and you ad the temps right, might it not finish cooking, have a bark and have absorbed sufficent smoke without the need for foil?

chowhound

I'd always read that the smoke absorbed was more a matter of temp than time. After 140F, no more smoke can be absorbed and the ring is what it is. I think if you try it your way, Andy, you might no get the smoke where you want it, into the meat. Residual smoke is bitter. I tried adding smoke for my ABTs several hours into a butt Q and the bark picked up an almost bitter taste. Edible, but not my best effort.

GrillinFool

All sort of debate about how much or how long meat can absorb smoke. All I know is that after a couple of hours you are not getting any more smoke flavor into the meat. This is why I have no problem foiling. Also, it gives me a lot more margin of error.

As for bark, well I never worried about it because I always pull it off the grill and let ir rest in foil for an hour. A crust also implies that it is dried out around the edge. The last thing I want when dealing with a brisket is dry anywhere.