Lamb

lilylove

We have one butchered every year... I'm going to ask for the tail next year. I think they must just throw them away. :)

FryBoy

...I’ve found that Australian Lamb can be more gamey than US Lamb. Check the meat you’re buying, and try US Lamb and not Australian Lamb....
Interesting. I used to think that many years ago, but recently I've come to the exact OPPOSITE conclusion. I find Australian lamb, especially the cuts from Diamond Valley brand that Von's (Safeway) carries, to be so mild that sometimes I think it's beef!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. I used to think that many years ago, but recently I've come to the exact OPPOSITE conclusion. I find Australian lamb, especially the cuts from Diamond Valley brand that Von's (Safeway) carries, to be so mild that sometimes I think it's beef!

It probably has a lot to do with the way they are raised and fed. A lot of the Australian Lamb I’ve had is allowed to run wild and graze. The US Lamb I typically get is slaughtered younger and raised on grain. Some of the free-range US Lamb I’ve had is definitely a bit gamey.

FryBoy

It probably has a lot to do with the way they are raised and fed. A lot of the Australian Lamb I’ve had is allowed to run wild and graze. The US Lamb I typically get is slaughtered younger and raised on grain. Some of the free-range US Lamb I’ve had is definitely a bit gamey.
Could be that the Ozzies, or at least this one company, is looking more to the American market. If you see the brand, which comes in pre-packaged containers with a black label, give it a try. I'd be interested in your assessment.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Could be that the Ozzies, or at least this one company, is looking more to the American market. If you see the brand, which comes in pre-packaged containers with a black label, give it a try. I'd be interested in your assessment.

This was Australian Lamb. It came off the smoker after 1 hour. Smoked in Cherry wood. It was very tender, with great flavor. However, even with the smoke and the sweet sauce I served, the gamey taste came through (albeit subtle, and more of an after-taste).

Not bad at all, and I actually like that flavor, but it was there. I actually got DW to try it, and she said it tasted great, and that she couldn't really taste the “dark” gamey side of it. It is subtle.

This Lamb came from Australia, but it was labeled as a Publix brand, so probably a lower end (less expensive) rancher raised these and shipped it over for Publix. I’d imagine an independent name may take more time, pride, etc, which could alter the taste?

I’ll look for the brand you mentioned. Did you say you can find it at Sams?

Step_3-37.jpg

Step_4-33.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
i agree that aussie lamb has a stonger flavor. unfortunately, american lamb is much harder to find around here, so i often buy oz lamb.

i went to a halal market a while ago and got a few steaks cut from the upper part of the leg. the first time i got them, they were fantastic. the second time, they were like shoe leather. both times i simply broiled them to medium rare. i guess it was just the animal.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Bump!

Teriyaki Lamb Chops

4 lamb loin chops- 1/2-inch thick

1/4 c brown sugar

2 t ground ginger

3/4 c soy sauce

1/4 c lemon juice

1 clove garlic- minced

Arrange chops in glass baking dish. Combine brown sugar, ginger, soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic. Pour over lamb and marinate for at least 3 hours or overnight in refrigerator, turning occasionally. Preheat broiler. Place chops on rack in broiling pan 3 to 5 inches from heat source. Broil 6 to 8 minutes. Turn and broil 6 to 8 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Serves 4.

Esther S.- Ottawa, Ohio ;)

High Cheese

Saucier
Another vote for US lamb.

The chops or rack, to me, has the nicest flavor. Trim alot of the fat off to loose some of the gameyness. If I don't roast a whole rack, I usually grill or pan roast the chops with butter/herbs/garlic. You can remove every other bone in a rack to make some nice thick chops. My favorite accomaniment to lamb is red pepper. I make a great rack of lamb with Red Pepper Jus. Dice red peppers, onions and a cloves of garlic to taste. Sautee with evoo for a coupla minutes. Puree in a blender and strain through a seive. Discard the pulp. Add S&P to taste.

Every other bone removed, use butcher's twine to shape.

IMG_0268.jpg

Bilby

Have to say that lamb is a gigantic component of the average Aussie diet. A lot of lamb is hogget though. Generally here, lamb legs are roasted and chops are grilled, bbq-ed or pan fried. Frenched lamb cutlets retail here for about A$33/kg. I bought a 2.4kg leg of mutton on the weekend for A$10.87 reduced from A$18.xx. Took me four hours to roast but it was yummy!

Good lamb you don't have to do anything with, although my preferred method of roasted leg is drizzle it with olive oil (but only a little), rub it with salt and pepper, lots of garlic, baby onions and potatoes in the pan, and pour balsamic vinegar over it. If I can be bothered, sometimes I add some honey to it as well. Must have pumpkin in there then too.

[Roasting times: Lamb leg 40mins per pound/350F oven; mutton is 45mins/350F oven]

If I am pan-frying or grilling, I would coat chops with a souvlaki seasoning mix (or garlic, parsley, salt and pepper). Lamb really responds well to salt being added to the pan not long before serving but not when you first put it in the pan.

Haven't tried anyone else's lamb other than a leg of lamb in Germany when I was 18, so I really couldn't say what it was like - other than very small for the price and for what we were/are used to here.

Lamb mince comes down very cheap here - as low as A$4.99/kg. It is great in moussaka or to make lamb burger patties instead of the usual beef ones. Chunks of roasted season meat in a souvlaki is hard to beat as well.

Lamb is my all time favourite red meat. I seldom ever buy beef, other than mince. Although after having only just finished eating the leg of mutton (all week I might add!), beef could make a nice change!! Duck would be better though!! LOL