Kneading Conference - 1st day

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Gotta say, I'm really glad I made the trip. Started out with a keynote about soil and how we're not caring for it. Usually I turn off the political extremism, but today's presentation was well supported and informational. He talked about the difference organic material in the soil makes to moisture retention which makes the the crops more draught resistant and less subject to erosion. We think about climate change and clean water, but we rarely consider what's happening to the soil.

There were several tracks to follow and I really wish I was able to attend several. I first attended the sourdough workshop where we discussed several things I was already aware of, as well as some others such as current research on Celiac sufferers and their ability to eat breads made with true sourdough as well as some better ideas for starter management.

For lunch they served this great vegetarian sandwich made with sauteed red beets, squash, onions (and Lord knows what else) that we topped with a garlic mayo and chevre on focaccia. If anyone has a recipe for the red beet filling, I'd really appreciate you're sharing it.

While at lunch I struck up a conversation with a gentleman who sharpens the stones for grain mills. We had a great discussion about grain mills. Clearly he demonstrated a skill set we're quickly losing, like tailors and shoemakers. He indicated that he can make a grain mill at a rather reasonable price that could service a small to medium bakery. He also mentioned a company by the name of Meadows which makes mills of that size. The sad thing is that I can't think of one bakery, that I've EVER visited, that grinds its own wheat. Some time ago I asked a local bulk food store (which sells flours and grains) where the closest grist mill was.... they didn't know of any in operation. The keynote speaker had addressed heritage grains and the need to get small farmers to maintain their use. That grain would be useless if there's no local mill to turn it into flour. So, after lunch, I went back to his stand where we "babbited" a mill and discussed grain mills further.

My last workshop for the day was a demonstration on using lye to remove the shell from corn kernels (mix wood ashes with water, strain right away, and simmer the corn in the liquid for about 15 minutes. Then let it stand for 4 -5 hours and finally rinse several times rubbing the shell off.). He then ground the corn, pressing the result into tortillas which we toasted on a grill. The same corn, unground, and dried would be hominy. Cut into pieces and fried and we'd have Fritos.

Well that's all for today. I only had my iPhone, so I'm sorry for the quality, but you can find some pictures HERE . I'll try to get more tomorrow.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Wow, Warren - it looks wonderful. Great pics. But now I have a lot of questions: what was that earthen looking oven made of? That was them using it the same day it was made? So cool. Also, the copper oven on the flat-bed - it was spectacular! Was that a handmade oven?

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
The "earthen looking" ovens were just that, clay ovens. The women on the blue tarp were working the water into the clay. There's a picture of the sand dome that forms the mold for the clay, and then one of some women working the sand out of the set clay. I think he was curing that oven, not really using it yet.

The copper oven is a French commercial oven that is available. I'm not sure if the copper outer skin is custom or not.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Fantastic! Thank you for explaining, Warren. I can't wait to see and hear what happens tomorrow.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great write-up, Warren! Sounds as if this conference delves into some off-the-beaten-path topics!

I can't see the pictures from my work computer, so I'll check them out when I get home.

Lee