KitchenAid Mixer Advice Needed

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Actually Buzz, the wattage that is listed for home mixers is NOT an indication of how much power they produce in torque. The wattage is how much power the mixer CONSUMES!:shock:

Only commercial mixers list their power as in torque of the beaters. That is why wattage as a power indication is worthless in home mixers. It is also why a 1/6hp commercial mixer can outperform a 1000 watt home mixer.

Wattage does not equal power.:sorry:

Couldn't agree more, but all that power consumption is going somewhere. :)

CharlieD

I wish they were selling commercial mixers in home size and price. I looked at getting a commercial one, few; they start at like $1500 or something like that, crazy.

FooD

Anything commercial is expensive. Take electrical outlets for instance. Standard residential 15A outlets run 49 cents each. Commercial 15A outlets run about $5. I use cheap 49 cent outlets at my business and they burn out every three years.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Anything commercial is expensive. Take electrical outlets for instance. Standard residential 15A outlets run 49 cents each. Commercial 15A outlets run about $5. I use cheap 49 cent outlets at my business and they burn out every three years.
Spend the extra bucks and get Specification Grade outlets and you'll never replace them. The plastic is also different (high impact) and does not break apart like the $.49 outlets. This is why they are use in commercial applications. The extra cost of the device is offset by the labor to keep changing them. $5 for the device...$75 for labor for a tradesman (minimum).

Shermie

Site Supporter
I got my KA in 1983. I don't make bread dough, so it has done everything I've ever wanted with only one exception. Because it has the tilt head instead of the lift head, I can't put an ice jacket on it.

If you need an ice jacket for baking, or you make a lot of dough, get the 600 Pro. Otherwise, the tilt head is easier to maneuver, and will probably last a lifetime. Just make sure it's the Artisan, not the classic. Big difference in power.

SilverSage;

I have the K-5SSWH, which can use the Water Jacket, and I also have the Water Jacket as well. The newer model KSM-500 which very identical to the K-5SSWH, can also use the same Water Jacket.

The K-45SS (now the Classic) has been in use in my kitchen for 23 years, and in all that time, I've only had toy replace the 5 rubber feet. The machine never once batted an eyelash.

The motors inside the K-5SSWH , KSM-500 and the Artisan are all the same wattage power - 325 watts. Either one of these are great and very exceptional.

But if money is not an object and you want a machine that has a much larger bowl, then you might want to consider the Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000. Its cost is a bit over $500.00, but it has an 8-qt stainless steel mixer bowl and it can accommodate bread dough recipes containing as much as a 5-lb bag of flour.

I've recently used it to make enough bourbon sweet potato pie filling for 6 pies! Can't do that with my KA mixer unless I use them both. But I'm happy with all three mixers. They are real troopers. :biggrin:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here are two of mine. The KA is in white though. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Electrolus Assistant Stand Mixer (Gray)..jpg
    Electrolus Assistant Stand Mixer (Gray)..jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 93
  • K'Aid Stand Mixer..jpg
    K'Aid Stand Mixer..jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 92