Karma question...

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I NEVER call it Karma I ALWAYS call it what it IS REPS I have never seen it called Karma anywhere ON THE ACTUAL FORUM FORMAT PLATFORM whatever it is called EXCEPT by members.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I NEVER call it Karma I ALWAYS call it what it IS REPS I have never seen it called Karma anywhere ON THE ACTUAL FORUM FORMAT PLATFORM whatever it is called EXCEPT by members.

Good point Peeps, the VB software running this site doesn't call it Karma, but instead calls it reputation.

And technically, if the site did want to use a term like Karma, it wouldn't be correct.

Vipaka would be the correct term.

Most people misunderstand/confuse "Karma" and "The Law Of Karma".

Karma by itself is simply a willful action - an action, thought, or deed that you consciously made a decision to do. Vipaka is the resulting consequences of that act. Karma is the seed, Vipaka is the fruit.

So if I post something, that is Karma. If I get Good/Bad reps on that post, that is Vipaka.

The Karma/Vipaka cycle is "The Law Of Karma". When most people think "Karma" they are thinking of the overall "Law Of Karma" which describes a return (Vipaka) for one's willful actions (Karma). So it is a misnomer to say "I got good karma for that".

No, you would receive good Vipaka (result/return) for your Karma (volitional action).

But….it's called Reputation here anyway, so there we are!

There is no spoon!!! :yum:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I don't say thanks for karma unless I have something else to say. I feel kinda silly starting a new conversation on someone's page that just say's "thanks for the karma"

I'm kind of in the same boat as VY. I appreciated the comments; they cause me to smile; but I don't start conversations that just say thanks and nothing else. And I don't expect to be thanked for karma.

And this carries through to how I often use karma. Sometimes it seems redundant to post another 'me too' comment when you like someone's dinner pics. I often use karma for a quick compliment to the poster, without generating another 'me too' in the thread. If I have more to say, I'll add a post to the thread, but if not, I use karma.

The concept of Karma is recognized in most eastern religions. Simplified, it's that you reap what you sow. In more contemporary terms, what goes around comes around. You offer something special to us in a thread, and karma (or points) come back to you. The only scorecard that counts is the smile it generates.

I've heard criticism over the potential for favoritism, cliques, or competition over karma. I don't understand how it can be competitive because you have to work to seek out karma rankings. If someone needs to go to that much trouble just to see if they have more points than someone else, let them have at it - they need more than karma can offer. Odds are, if someone had nothing better to do with their time, they could analyze the karma points vs the post counts, and I strongly suspect that those who post the most have the most K points - which logically is as it should be.

Overall, I think BT's/Lee's philosophy is right on - it's a nice little surprise now and then.

K

Kimchee

Karma Karma Karma Kameleonnnnn
It comes and goeesss
It comes and goooOOOOoooeessss

I sometimes thank people for karma, and sometimes don't. Depends on my mood.
Same with giving it, sometimes I dont feel like adding to a thread but want to
compliment someone..
Heck I didn't even know there were "rep meters" you COULD check!

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Near the top of your screen, right below the section that says "Welcome Phiddlechick", is a blue bar. The first item on the bar is "User CP".

When you click on it, the center portion of your screen is devoted to "Recent Reputation Received". That's where you'll find the reps folks have sent you.

Maybe someone who know how to do screen shots will come along and post graphics.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Karma Karma Karma Kameleonnnnn
It comes and goeesss
It comes and goooOOOOoooeessss

I sometimes thank people for karma, and sometimes don't. Depends on my mood.
Same with giving it, sometimes I dont feel like adding to a thread but want to
compliment someone..
Heck I didn't even know there were "rep meters" you COULD check!
LOL I like that song BTW!! :yum:

buckytom

Grill Master
it's not about the measure of rep points, but it's the giving and receiving of each one individually that matters, in very small ways that are only significant for a short time.

you know, i'm not sure why there's a certain amount of anxiety over this. it's not unlike someone taking a few extra seconds to hold a door for you, or pick up something you dropped, or a smile from someone who obviously thinks your kid or pet is being cute, or something like that. there's nothing devious or malicious about it.

i've never once been asked for rep points, supposedly to drive up their score, nor would i consider giving them just for that reason. i've never given rep points to make someone feel anything more than that their post was apreciated on a level just beyond a simple thank you.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
it's not about the measure of rep points, but it's the giving and receiving of each one individually that matters, in very small ways that are only significant for a short time.

you know, i'm not sure why there's a certain amount of anxiety over this. it's not unlike someone taking a few extra seconds to hold a door for you, or pick up something you dropped, or a smile from someone who obviously thinks your kid or pet is being cute, or something like that. there's nothing devious or malicious about it.

i've never once been asked for rep points, supposedly to drive up their score, nor would i consider giving them just for that reason. i've never given rep points to make someone feel anything more than that their post was apreciated on a level just beyond a simple thank you.
WOW Bucky I thought I was in church/catholic school with your opening line. I was looking to duck the ruler!! LOL

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
lol, peeps. if it weren't for boobies, i'da been a priest.
LOL In my mind you sounded like harry conick jr in independence day when he was in the cockpit and they were geting ready to take off to go kick some alien ass!! remember that scene?

Kick the tires and light the fires big daddy!! I love that movie!!