2 TBLS white sugar
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup slice green onions
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs

Cook bacon over medium heat for 5 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels; let cool and crumble. In small bowl, combine 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the crumbled bacon and 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the Cheddar; set aside.
In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, pepper and salt ; stir in remaining bacon and Cheddar.
Whisk together milk, oil, onions, sour cream and eggs; pour over dry ingredients. Stir together just until moistened. Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin cups; sprinkle reserved bacon and Cheddar mixture on top.

Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch and muffins are golden.

these freeze really well, store in airtight container

Kei

Re: Canadian Bacon Muffins w/cheddar

I love that Canadian bacon. Why is it called Canadian bacon and not just bacon or ham?

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Apple Wheat Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1/2 cup reduced-fat banilla yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup grated apple
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon grated orange peel

In a bowl, combine the first six ingrediends. In another bowl, whish the egg, yogurt, applesauce and oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the apple, raisins and orange peel.

Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fo;; tjree-fourths full with batter.

Bake at 400 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1-3/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 egg whites
1 egg
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
2 tablespoons canola oil
2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the flours, brown sugar, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in chocolate chips.

coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick incerted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Blueberry Orange Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons grated orange peel
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In another bowl, combine egg, orange juice, water, butter and orange peel. Add to dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in the blueberries. Pour into a greased and floured 8x4-inch loaf pan.

bake at 350 degrees for 65 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack.

Kei

Re: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

Oh I shouldn't have looked in here. I crave chocolate 24/7. lol

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
ISO recipe for Authentic Jewish Bagels

Does anyone have a recipe for authentic Jewish bagels? I had one from Nathan's (a local Jewish bakery) and they are like no other bagel I've ever had! They were light, not dense with a great chew. I'd love to buy them from there but they are 30 miles away.... :blush:

FryBoy

Re: ISO recipe for Authentic Jewish Bagels

It's easy:

1. Travel to Los Angeles.
2. Go to grocery store or deli.
3. Buy bag of Western Bagel Baking Company's bagels (preferably water bagels -- I'm a purist, I don't eat egg bagels, and I consider things like blueberry bagels to be abominations). :yuk:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

That looks really good but you need a steam oven to cook 'em. Gaggenau or Miele, don't know of any other that does that.

Why can't you just put a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven?

I read the reviews and a lot of people followed these directions: Forming and Baking Bagels

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter

It's easy:

1. Travel to Los Angeles.
2. Go to grocery store or deli.
3. Buy bag of Western Bagel Baking Company's bagels (preferably water bagels -- I'm a purist, I don't eat egg bagels, and I consider things like blueberry bagels to be abominations). :yuk:

LOL, thanks FryBoy - I'll consider going...but they better be good! :wink:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter

Search for George Greenstein's bagel recipe or get his James Beard award winning bread book out of the library. There is a trick to making them properly

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine egge, oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in bananas and chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes ou until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Banana Sour Cream Bread

1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
3 cups white sugar
3 eggs
6 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 (16 oz.) container of sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking soda
4-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped, walnuts

Preheat oven to 300 degreese. Grease four 7x3-inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, stir together 1/4 cup white sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.

In a large bowl, cream butter and 3 cups of sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts. Divide into prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

butterflygazer

English Muffin Pizza...

:lucky::lucky::lucky::lucky:

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 l plain English Muffin
  • 3 Tbsp. prepared pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
  • 1/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese (or plain mozzarella cheese)
  • 4-5 slices pepperoni
Preparation:

1. Split English muffin open and place the two halves on the tray of a toaster oven or a baking sheet.
  2. Top each half with 1-1/2 Tbsp. pizza sauce, spreading to within 1/2-inch of the edges.
  3. Sprinkle mozzarella evenly over the pizza sauce on each half.
  4. Top with a few pepperoni slices on each half.
  5. Bake 4 to 6 minutes at 350 degrees in a toaster oven or regular oven, until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
A1Englishmuffinpizza.jpg

Mr. Green Jeans

Semi Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Dry ingredients:
3/4 cup who;e wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Wet ingredients:
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup applesauce
3 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/2 tsp. almond extract

1 heaping cup blueberries

Preheat oven to 375. In a seperate bowl combine dry ingredients and whisk. In a mixing bowl combine wet ingredients and beat well. Add dry to wet and fold in just enough to mix. Do not over mix. Last carefuly fold in berries until coated and transfer to a greased 6 muffin tin. Bake 20 - 25 minutes.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Re: Semi Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Hey, I don't see anything unhealthy about those. My grandma would do stuff like this--throw in a banana, some applesauce and other fruit in muffins. She liked to improvise this way.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Zippy Shortbread Hearts

Zippy Shortbread Hearts

Ingredients:
1/2 pound butter, unsalted at room temperature
8 tablespoons superfine sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
Butter and sugar to line molds
heart shaped molds

Preheat the oven to 350 F.
With a wooden spoon or in an electric mixer, cream
together the butter and sugar until very smooth.
Sift the flour into the butter mixture and, using your fingers, work all ingredients into a crumbly but very fine mixture.
At this point, add the cayenne pepper.
Butter the molds and dust the bottom and sides with sugar. Press the shortbread dough into the molds. Bake until golden brown. The time varies from 10 minutes up, depending on the size of the mold.
Cool on racks before unmolding.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Carrot Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup oat bran
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon all-spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup grated carrots
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon) and the grated carrots. Add all of the wet ingredients, maple syrup through oil. Mix well.
3. Pour the batter into a lightly oiled muffin pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.