Hurricane Sandy

Leni

Just keep yourselves safe. From what the news shows you have a real mess there. Heard that Battery Park is really being hit.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Looked at the radar.. the map shows damaging winds north of Portland, Maine heading toward Vermont.
Jersey, New York and Delaware seem to be at the bottom end of it all right now... so perhaps it's going to move more inland.

Pittsburgh is getting some action too right now.
We've got a hot mess of snow and freezing rain heading in this direction.
The winds are gusting to 50 mph.. with a wind chill of 30.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Hang on to your hat baby..
Gretchen doesn't exactly like the howling winds either.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
tryin, lollie. the thunder passed fer now. i get panicky w/ weather once in awhile. the kitties 're good- they scurried/meowed until i gave them a snack. we seem ok fer now. my meowin' weather indicators. meow:wub:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I just heard from Peeps. They head to leave their house due to flooding. They will try to get back home as soon as they can.

Bells

I'm glad most people are weathering it well. I suppose several are without power. I was advised to be ready for 3 days of anything and I am. It's been the noisiest night ever with things blowing around and the cats are skittish. I want to see what happened out there when the sun comes up. I think I have my neighbors lawn furniture in my back yard.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
All's well in my neighborhood near Boston, and in my father's on the Cape, too.

We were very lucky to have dodged this enormous bullet!

Lee

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Other than a lot of puddles we are in good shape. Power blipped long enough the computers and direct TV had to reboot but stayed on all night. I was really worried about the greenhouses with all the crap flying around last night. Best thing for us was all the trees were bare already. Neighbor's springs are running good again and his back pond is filled and going out the overflow for the first time in months. Staying off the roads unless something urgent comes up.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So what did you see Andy? I was hoping you were okay. Great to see you online at 7am. Hope that is still the case (that you have electric and internet).

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Doc and everyone,

I have power, no cable, which supplies my phone lines, TV and Internet. My cell phone is able to get onlie and there is an Optimim hot spot nearby. All inn all, not too bad.

A big branch came off my next door neighbor's tree. It did not hit his house, but, it removed his next door neighbor's chimney and did some house damage. Tow houses down from that an entire tree went over and badly smashed their neighbor's house to th point where they are being told to get out as the house is structurally unsound.

My daughter has no power since last night and a shed on thir land got shredded. Her quad was inside.

My stepson on Long Island had a treee uproot and take out his fence. My other daughter in law is without power.

I spoke with Peeps this AM and she had to leave her house last night due to rising water. As of this morning, they were looking for information as to wether they could return home or what to do. I was able to find out some info for them. It seems the local PD (Hers) and fire dept also got flooded and they are taking people in at a tech school in the ares. I have not heard from her in several hours. She did say that her cell phone battery was low.

I just read the latest briefing on NJ. Governor Christie told us that RAILROAD CARS (They are very heavy) were washed onto the NJ Turnpike, railroad bridges and tracks are badly damaged and we are all being asked to stay home today.

NYC is badly toasted and I do not even know at this point if it is possible for me to go in there tomorrow. I understand that subway tunnels and PATH tunnels are flooded. Lower Manhattan has no power below 40th Street, from what I can tell. I hav tow customers moving, theey are oth below 40th St.

Anyway, lots of turmoil, doing what we can. It is a great feeling when friends are concerned for you. Thank you all.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sounds like you weathered the storm pretty well Andy, all things considered. I've been watching some of the video from NJ and the devastation is just incredible.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Moose - A quick look shows that you do not list a location.

Are you somewhere in the area?

How's did you maker out?

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
This has been a strange storm for sure. Winds came from the north but were warmer than usual. Now things are pushing up snow from the south and colder. It was flurrying earlier and just started up again. Radar shows a big wad of snow in central Pa. trying to move up here. Until things start moving east up in Canada we are probably stuck in this storm track. They have most of the local outages repaired around here. Winds were too wild to fly helicopters to survey the real tough mountain power lines to locate breaks. They are starting to shift crews east to eastern Pa. and Jersey now.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I heard from Peeps. They have gotten back in their house. They have loss to clean and fix.

More when i can write. I am cleaning up customers from the storm.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Glad to hear you and Peeps are okay. I imagine you have lots of customers with issues. Is your regular ISP working or are you online only via your phone?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Doc - my ISP / phone / TV at home is cablevision., which is out. all the i have been today on NYC have been up. The big issue today is that i have two moves. Both were promised by Verizon that their stuff would be moved. I told them it wouldn't happen. They went so far as to tell me it was done. Of course it wasn't.

Then we have the one that called this morning to move his server someplace else. Quite a day.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Glad to hear y'all are okay! Moose, are you holding up okay? Any storm damage?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Hello everyone. First off my internet is coming and going so I can get cut off at any time. We are safe. We lost power at 9pm and we put the shades up and kept seeing eery green glowing flashes as transformer after transformer blew. We had to leave at 11pm monday. We went from 2 inches of water to 5 FEET of water in minutes. A levee broke and the town was under water. we are back home but our fuel tank was turned over, we got water in the house. We have power but no heat. Out town lost our Police station, Fire station and emergency Rescue buildings and some of the vehicles. National guard came in to take people to shelter. We got one of our cars out just before the water got it. Our other car was moved earlier to a "safe" place. BUT the levee broke which cause 10 feet of water to flood in BEFORE high tide. Our other car had about 2 inches of water after the water receded. I tried driving out of the area but there were HUGE trees down across roads, FEET of water and power lines down. It was very unnerving drive in pitch black and stopping JUST in time even with high beams on driving was very stressful. We were the only people on the roads. We drove in and out of areas with and without power. We slept in our car monday night. Tuesday we found a hotel room. The hotel had no power, heat or hot water but it was dry and we had beds.

The cable and internet is going on and off. Our landline phone is out and cell phone is not reliable because cell towers are down. We are trying to conserve car gas because stations are out of gas or gauging $1.00+ OVER regular price. Those S.O.B.'s should be arrested for taking advantage of a tragedy!! I have about 1/2 tank of gas in each car. I went out at 2 am tuesday night looking for food and drinks for the family and decided to get some gas. Good thing because people are waiting for an hour or more at the few stations open in Paramus. I just saw that one ran out of gas. I am having some medical issues. I am having vision problems I think are related to stress, diabetes and high blood pressure. I got one message from my work (when I had a cell signal) that they had no power in the building but were going to bus people to brooklyn but I see on the news that brooklyn was hit pretty bad. My hub doesn't want me to even try to get to work because I might not get home till 2am and don't want to leave girls alone that long. Oh BTW the whole area around I live is soaked in kerosene from over turned fuel tanks and gasolene from gas gans that people had outside that floated away and slilled over into the flood water. Very worried some idiot will set use on fire with a cigerette or a dropped match etc. I will write some more later.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh Peepers! That had to have been frightening! Thank goodness y'all are okay. It's understandable if your medical problems are due to stress, Lord knows you've been subject to enough of it the past few days. I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Thank God!! to hear from our forum friends who are okay.
Peeps, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading what you are going through.
I cannot even imagine that sweetheart.
Know you all are loved and we who haven't suffered a smidgen of this type of thing feel a whole lot of love and concern.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh Peepers! That had to have been frightening! Thank goodness y'all are okay. It's understandable if your medical problems are due to stress, Lord knows you've been subject to enough of it the past few days. I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

Thank God!! to hear from our forum friends who are okay.
Peeps, I am sitting here with tears in my eyes reading what you are going through.
I cannot even imagine that sweetheart.
Know you all are loved and we who haven't suffered a smidgen of this type of thing feel a whole lot of love and concern.

That is just horrible, Peep. I'm glad no one was injured.
Thank you for the comforting words, they really do help. It is crazy out there. I saw on the news some guy in NYC cut in line for gas and when another guy complained the line cutter pulled a gun on him!! I am now worried about even trying to go find gas. My landline phone (regular old fashioned phone NOT digital or cable phone) is still out. I had to go onto Verizon website to set up a repair call. Set for Monday 11/5/12 (Halloween for us LOL). Called the office manager where I work and she said not to worry about work today just call her over the weekend and let her know how we are doing. She left her home phone number on my answer call machine. I can call to get my home phone messages (when I have a cell signal), calls to us are going straight to voice mail.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Man, gas stations that are open in NJ are unreal!! Lines are so long and prices have gone up BIG time!!

I just got back from PA. Took me 1 hour to get there from pull up to filled up 10 minutes! $3.61 a gallon for regular. Amazing. So round trip 2 hr 10 minute. I would still be waiting on line to get 10 gallons (odd/even system here) for maybe a dollar more a gallon.