Grilling Naked Corn on the cob

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you ever grilled naked corn on the cob? I haven't but I'm going to try this soon. While grilling out on the houseboat another boater was telling me he grills his corn naked. :eek: (the corn NOT him) :D

He said he melts some butter before grilling and bastes it over the corn as it grills. He said he sometimes adds minced tarragon to the butter for a little extra zing. He swore he's tried all ways and the naked way is his favorite. Sure sounds worth a try to me.

If anyone tries this before I post that I have please share your thoughts on grilling corn naked. TIA.

GrillinFool

Have you ever grilled naked corn on the cob? I haven't but I'm going to try this soon. While grilling out on the houseboat another boater was telling me he grills his corn naked. :eek: (the corn NOT him) :D

He said he melts some butter before grilling and bastes it over the corn as it grills. He said he sometimes adds minced tarragon to the butter for a little extra zing. He swore he's tried all ways and the naked way is his favorite. Sure sounds worth a try to me.

If anyone tries this before I post that I have please share your thoughts on grilling corn naked. TIA.

With the butter basting, it sounds awesome. I have a feeling I'm trying this with maybe a little garlic and tarragon in the butter.

ETA, what temps does he do this at? How long? Does it blacken a lot?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No temps were mentioned but I was grilling corn with the shuck on it 7 minutes then turning it and he said naked cooks a little quicker so maybe 5 minutes ...and he mentioned a medium flame. I think my grill temp was 350 - 400 at the time. That's where I'll start experimenting.

He said it blackens very little when done right (cause I mentioned I thought it would burn bad)

Please let me know what you learn when you try this and we'll compare notes. I think I'll try some with the garlic added also (some with and some without for a comparison). :D :thumb: I love corn on the grill ...this just gives me more reason to grill some more of it. :D

FooD

I usually grill corn naked over high heat, turning frequently. I like them slightly blackened and crunchy as well. I will try basting with butter next time.
But this weekend, I'm trying Vera's corn recipe.

GotGarlic

We like to grill corn naked, too - the corn! :wink: It blackens a little and gets that nice charred flavor we love on grilled meats and other veggies. We add butter after cooking. Great stuff.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I tried grilling the corn naked and it was outstanding!!!!!! I loved it. The corn was extra tasty and came off the cob much easier for some reason. I cleaned all the ears completely clean for a change (always had a hard time doing that with corn cooked any other way).

My wife is not a fan of tarragon so I grilled some plain and some basted with butter and tarragon. Both ways are excellent. I'll never grill with the shuck on the corn again. :D

One huge advantage to me was that the corn has a chance to cool before eating it. When it's grilled in the shuck or in aluminum foil we do not unwrap it until we are fixing it at our plate. It's so HOT, you burn your fingers and the butter melts off before you get it spread. Not the case with corn grilled naked. :thumb:

I did remember to take pictures ...but I don't have them with me. I forgot the camera on the boat. I'll try to post the pics sometime this weekend.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Excellent. Thanks for the update Doc. Ok, you've convinced me. I'm trying this next! :clap;

High Cheese

Saucier
I lightly wrap bare corn in foil along with 2 pats of butter, salt and pepper (or other seasonings). Or you can par boil the corn and finish it over a hot grill.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Have you every tried putting it on the hot grill without boiling it first? I was shocked at how good it worked, and how good the corn tasted.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Not really, just in the foil raw. I'd try it though.
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. We had 7 or 8 folks on the boat for dinner last Sunday and they raved about it (most of them had the ones that I basted with the butter tarragon mix.) And it's so freaking easy, it actually seems to easy to be good if you get my drift. :yum:

GrillinFool

Did this on Saturday night. It was awesome. Butter, garlic, tarragon. Over direct heat for maybe 15 minutes with lots of brushings and rotating... I'll get the write up done later this week. Oh, and I served it with pork tenderloin that I brined. I've never brined tenderloin. Best I've ever had...

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Doc...you have to guess what I was thinking!!

By the way, I did this once and forgot about it..made popcorn!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
hehehehe :yum: I think I know what you were thinking. :D

I finally got the camera off the boat and the pics off the camera so here are pics of the first time I make corn this way. You'll notice 3 were cooked in foil as DW was leery of this new way. That was the last time for the foil, she's now a convert (though she does not want the tarragon on her corn.

And yep, I've popped a few kernels while cooking this way. :yum: But I love the taste. True roasted corn. I might have to try garlic with the mix like grilling fool mentioned. :thumb:

Since I made you wait so long, and I got camera happy I'll share a few pics of the houseboat showing how the grill fits on the back, and a few pics from inside just to give you an idea of where I'm spending my weekends. :D

On the grill we had some Tony Roma style ribs. They were double wrapped in foil, slathered in BBQ sauce and cooked at 250 in the oven for a few hours. Then they sat in the fridge until the next day when we went to the boat. When we went to take them out of the foil they stuck, so we heated up them up in the foil before taking them out and browning them on the grill.

Attachments

• IMG_2193r.JPG
    IMG_2193r.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2194r.JPG
    IMG_2194r.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_2195r.JPG
    IMG_2195r.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_2196r.JPG
    IMG_2196r.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2197r.JPG
    IMG_2197r.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 267

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A few more pics ...

Attachments

• IMG_2198r.JPG
    IMG_2198r.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2199r.JPG
    IMG_2199r.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2200r.JPG
    IMG_2200r.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2201r.JPG
    IMG_2201r.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2202r.JPG
    IMG_2202r.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 282

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
And some pics from inside the boat ....

Attachments

• IMG_2203r.JPG
    IMG_2203r.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2204r.JPG
    IMG_2204r.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2205r.JPG
    IMG_2205r.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2206r.JPG
    IMG_2206r.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 270

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
If I had that boat, I'd be spending my weekends there too! Very nice...both the dinner and the boat!

lilbopeep

🌹 🍉 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Absolutely beautiful!! The food and the boat are awesome Doc!!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
We've always just wrapped the corn in foil and sometimes it's hard to tell how charred they're getting. Will give this method a try. Yours look great. Beautiful boat too!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
One more pic of the boat. :D

Attachments

• gibson_1.jpg
    gibson_1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 190

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I could live on that boat! :clap:

What's that blue bit on the roof above the wheelhouse? Looks like a retractable awning or something?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
that is a 'bimi' cover. It opens up to shade anyone riding / driving up top. The blue canvas is covering the gauges and top steering wheel & stereo. That's where I drive from once we get away from the dock and we're in open waters (unless it's bad weather).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
that is a 'bimi' cover. It opens up to shade anyone riding / driving up top. The blue canvas is covering the gauges and top steering wheel & stereo. That's where I drive from once we get away from the dock and we're in open waters (unless it's bad weather).

That is too cool!