Game: Guess the Landmark!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Jim, is that Victoria Falls in S. Africa?

and Peeps is that Rocky Falls (?) in or near The Adirondacks?

It's the Great Falls, Paterson, New Jersey

===Industrial development===
In 1778, [[Alexander Hamilton]] visited the falls and was impressed by its potential for industry. Later as the nation's first [[United States Secretary of Treasury|Secretary of Treasury]], he selected the site of the nation's first planned industrial city, which he called a "national manufactory." In 1791, Hamilton helped found the [[Society for the Establishment of Useful Manufactures]] (S.U.M.), state-chartered private corporation to fulfill this vision. The town of Paterson was founded by the society and named after [[New Jersey Governor]] [[William Paterson (jurist)|William Paterson]] in appreciation of his efforts to promote the society.
Although the grand vision of Hamilton's planned city remained unrealized, the society nevertheless successfully promoted real estate development in the area. As a result the falls became the nucleus for a burgeoning mill industry, with construction of numerous [[Mill race|raceways]]. In 1793, two years after the society's foundation, the falls was the site of the first [[hydropower|water-powered]] [[cotton]] spinning mill in New Jersey. In 1812, it was the site of the state's first [[Fourdrinier machine|continuous roll paper]] mill. Other products whose construction used the falls as a power source include the [[Rogers Locomotive and Machine Works|Rogers Locomotive Works]] (1832), the [[Colt's Manufacturing Company|Colt revolver]] (1837), and the ''[[USS Holland (SS-1)]]'' (1898).
The society continued operation until 1945 when its charter and property were sold to the city of Paterson. The area fell into disuse with the steep decline of industry in the region during the 20th century. In 1971, the Great Falls Preservation and Development Corporation was established to restore and redevelop the historic mill buildings and raceways.
On [[June 6]], [[1976]], [[Gerald Ford|President Ford]] designated the Falls and its surrounding area as a [[National Natural Landmark]]. The designation protects the site from federal development, but not from local and state development. Redevelopment of the decayed adjacent industrial areas has been an ongoing controversial topic. An attempt in the 1990s to redevelop the adjacent Allied Textile Printing Co. (ATP) facility, destroyed by fire in the 1980s, into prefabricated townhouses was initially approved by the city but later repelled by a coalition of local citizens seeking to preserve the historic character of the district.

Inserted from <http://www.flickr.com/photos/7395527@N06/3011213907>

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Lets start the morning with another waterfall!

Attachments

• guess_me_17.jpg
    guess_me_17.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 68

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen β˜•πŸŒŽπŸ¦‹
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I was going to guess the Cascades, but I know that's incorrect too..

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I was going to guess the Cascades, but I know that's incorrect too..

It's an old pic of part of Niagra Falls.

I should of posted a pic of a larger area.

I'll go find another, not of a water fall this time!

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Here's another.

The place a number of folks who work in DC should be, at least a large subset of a group of 535 of them! :bonk:

Attachments

• guess_me_18.jpg
    guess_me_18.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 55

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It's an old pic of part of Niagra Falls.

I should of posted a pic of a larger area.

I'll go find another, not of a water fall this time!

Jim
Is that the NY side seen from Canada? The wedding falls (or some such name)?

Here's another.

The place a number of folks who work in DC should be, at least a large subset of a group of 535 of them! :bonk:
It looks like Alcatraz Island/Prison

Leni

I couldn't think of the name of the island for a few moments otherwise we would have posted at the same time.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Where and what is the name

Attachments

• landmark.jpg
    landmark.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 60

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Bear Mountain bridge, NY?
YES!!

New York State Bridge Authority Bear Mountain Bridge

• Bear Mountain Bridge
    Opened to the Public
    November 27, 1924-acquired by NYSBA September 26, 1940
    Connecting Counties
    Orange/Rockland and Westchester/Putnam
    Overall Length
    2,255 feet
    Bridge Type
    Parallel wire cable suspension bridge
    Initial Cost
    $2,900,000
    2008 Replacement Cost
    $122,134,000

History
    As the oldest of NYSBA’s bridges, Bear Mountain Bridge was the first vehicular river crossing between New York City and Albany. At the time it was built, it was also the longest suspension bridge in the world and the first suspended bridge to have a concrete deck.
    The project of building the Bear Mountain Bridge marked the beginning of a golden age of long span bridge building along the Hudson River and throughout the New York metropolitan area. The success of the inventive methods used broke new ground and paved the way for the building of other suspension bridges such as the George Washington and the Golden Gate.

Read more > Inserted from <http://www.nysba.state.ny.us/bridgepages/BMB/BMBpage/bmb_page.htm>

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen β˜•πŸŒŽπŸ¦‹
Gold Site Supporter
^ hint:
"Eagle...you're go for a landing"

"Roger...picking up some dust...big shadow...contact light...O.K., engine stopped...

Tranquility Base here.
The Eagle has landed."

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
^ hint:
"Eagle...you're go for a landing"

"Roger...picking up some dust...big shadow...contact light...O.K., engine stopped...

Tranquility Base here.
The Eagle has landed."
Ok thats the moon landing but THATS NOT the moon!! LOL