Buzz checking in

What kind of cook are you?

• Subsistence - I just struggle to get the family fed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grillin' & Chillin' - if it's not on the grill, don't bother me.

• Cook??? My other half cooks - I just eat.

• Total voters

buckytom

Grill Master
Re: What Kind of Cook Are You?

experimenter here as well.

i got into cooking when i moved into my first apartment after college, mostly trying to make things like mom did, healthy and wholesome, and then learning new things to impress the flavour of the month as ozzy used to call them (my ex-gf's).

after i settled down a bit, i got more into trying to recreate the dishes that i particularly enjoyed at restaurants that i frequented. so, i've done a lot of experimenting, occasionally successfully. :chef:

SilverSage

Resident Crone

i got into cooking when i moved into my first apartment after college, ......... and then learning new things to impress the flavour of the month as ozzy used to call them (my ex-gf's).
:chef:

Hmmmmm..... Why doesn't this surprise me, Bucko? :kiss:

But I'm with you on trying to re-create favorite dishes from restaurants. Some of my best recipes came from those trials, even if I didn't succeed in an accurate reproduction.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

I'm a mix of Down-Home, Grillin', and Experimenter.

buckytom

Grill Master

lol, ss. it wasn't really that bad. i was just very shallow and didn't like being alone, so i made sure the gf's during those days overlapped by a few months...

getting back, ahem, umm, back on topic. i guess i should add griller as well. i grill almost as often as i cook indoors.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

I could have gone with experimenter, but opted for healthy cooking instead, LOL. I used to experiment a lot which always kept the family on their toes! I also love grilling but not to the point that it is the only way I will cook and not as often as I would like as the wife kinda took over the patio with her plants.

FooD

I don't see my category in the above poll. I consider myself a 'wannabe' cook. I love grills, smokers, cookers, and quality kitchen gadgets/appliances. I often pretend as if I know what I'm doing. I only do simple meals and for the most part and they're just average....:D

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter

I don't get to cook very often anymore since hubby can't eat most foods. I use to love cooking!!

Mr. Green Jeans

Did learn from mom & dad grandma and grandpa. I'm over 50 so it is all about healthy. Grillin' and chillin' is a necessity after long hours in my biz. A pureist, cause I do grind my own if time allows. Definitely not a professional though, I have to clean up my own messes!

I am self-taught. Wouldn't call it down-home, however I did watch my grandmother cook. Noone in my family wrote recipes down. You watch & learn. Unfortunately, I was too young to learn by watching; but I did wing it & try to duplicate the foods I enjoyed growing up with - Eastern European.

I prefer healthy, but like junk food too. I can't say I make everything from scratch, that would be a stretch. However, I have made my own noodles/pasta etc., & have done everything on my own - start to finish.

I use certain packaged foods. I use bottled dressings. Who doesn't. Grilling is my least favorite - to me it's throwing food on fire - a quick fix - not much creativity there for me.

I am creative... and that takes years of knowledge cooking experience & knowing what will work & what doesn't. I cooked on a two burner hot plate in my first one-room apt in NYC. You learn to get very creative.

I wouldn't cook everything from scratch. Don't have the time. My grandmother walked five long city blocks each way to the butcher, baker, etc. She would grind her meat by hand on a windowsill hand grinder. She made her own dough, as well. I applaud her, but I simply don't have the time to follow in her footsteps.

Last edited:

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter

I've been cooking since I was 10 yrs old. My greatest influence was watching "The French Chef" on PBS as a kid. I finally had the nerve to ask my mother if I could make one of the recipes for dinner one night. From then on, she was asking me to cook dinner every night! lol

I like to cook comfort food, Italian (since I'm married to one, lol) and anything that I think will bring happiness to my friends and family

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter

My cheeks are burning.... I had to choose convenience cook. I do try to cook yummy stuff a couple of times a week, but the bulk of what I cook is convenience stuff. I make a lot of rice and most of the veggies I make are fresh, but I'm definitely keeping Stouffer's in business. When I'm cooking real food, I always have a Stouffer's frozen lasagne in reserve (just in case).

leolady

I voted down home country, although I have a lot of restaurant/bakery experience.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter

Organized, experimental, and some passed down recipes from my parents.
I hate wasting, nor can we afford to- So This puts me into the experimental mode.
I have come up with some fantastic dishes. (A little hot link sausage makes great spice for stir Fry).
As far as organized- DW & DD, both cook. So we have 3 people sharing the kitchen.
If I was to hit the lottery, We would not have seperate bedrooms, /We would have Seperate Kitchens.
I cannot complain too much. We all cook rather Good.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICKISMOM!!!!!!!

RM.jpg

And Many More!!

:bouncy::dancing::bouncy:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Re: HAPPY BIRTHDAY RICKISMOM!!!!!!!

Happy Birthday RM! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Happy Birthday Rickismom! :happybday1:

Hope you have a GREAT day!!!!! :dancing: :thewave:

High Cheese

Saucier

It came down to Purist or Experimenter. Although I do experiment, I would rather have homegrown or fresh ingredients first.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Happy Birthday RM! I hope it's the best ever!! :clap:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Happy Birthday!! Have a great day!

Mine is on August 4. Leos rock!! :wink:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

I hope you're having a wonderful day. Loving everyone's birthdays except my own. lol