Buy or grow wheat grass?

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Maybe it's a crazy question, but if we want to juice wheat grass, do I have to actually grow it, or can I buy it at a Whole Foods or Trader Joe type place?

Thanks.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
CM, I'm sure that you already know all this, so this is for those people like me who have never heard of using or growing wheat grass. I've never seen it in the grocery stores, but I'd check the health food stores.

Juicing is really catching on nowadays. Lots of people have a smoothie every morning.

"Wheatgrass is a nutrient-rich type of young grass in the wheat family that is sold in a variety of forms as a dietary supplement. Proponents say that wheatgrass has numerous health benefits, but there are no significant research studies to support wheatgrass health claims."

"Wheatgrass does provide a concentrated amount of nutrients, including iron, calcium, magnesium, amino acids, chlorophyll, and vitamins A, C and E. Wheatgrass fans say that its rich nutrient content boosts immunity, kills harmful bacteria in your digestive system, and rids your body of waste. Some proponents tout wheatgrass for cancer, anemia, diabetes, constipation, infections, skin conditions, colon cleansing, ulcerative colitis and joint pain, among other health concerns."

"Wheatgrass is available in many forms, including tablets, capsules, liquid extracts and tinctures. Wheatgrass is often used for juicing or added to smoothies or tea. You can even buy wheatgrass seeds or kits to grow your own wheatgrass at home."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/wheatgrass/AN02108

Pic from Wiki:

275px-Wheatgrass.jpg