Bought New Keurig Coffee Maker!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Bought another Keurig coffee maker. The other one broke after only four months of use!!!! :mad: :mad:
Keurig K-Classic Coffees Maker..jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
So are they junk?
Two people that I know have THIS model & they've had them for several years with no problem. I guess the first one that I bought IS junk!! Called myself saving money on it, but, as the old saying goes, you only get what you pay for!!! Besides, this machine has a heavy duty 3-prong cord!!! The other one DOESN'T. :whistling:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Sherm made me go to the kitchen and take a pic of it.
Still in the corner, still with my usual mug from my visits to Schmucker's in Toledo.
My current coffee.
Cameron's Intense French.
☺️

IMG_20230807_190620222_HDR.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
A word of warning, guys; The manual says that NO distilled water should be used at all!! :eek:

Shermie

Site Supporter
  1. Why Distilled Water should not use in KitchenAid Coffee Makers
    • Because distilled water is such a good solvent, it causes the coffee grounds to swell and slows the flow of water. This leads to bitter, over-extracted coffee or possible brew basket overflow. It is even worse with decaffeinated coffee.
    • Distilled water also causes the metal brewing element to slowly deteriorate the hot water tube, causing premature failure of the coffee maker.
    • Why is Using Distilled Water in a Coffee Maker Not Recommended?
    producthelp.kitchenaid.com/Countertop_Appliances/Coffee_Products/Product_Info/Coffee_Product_Tips_and_Tricks/Why_is_Using_Distilled_Water_in_a_Coffee_Maker_Not_Recommended%3F

producthelp.kitchenaid.com/Countertop_Appliances/Coffee_Products/Product_I…

What is the best solvent for coffee?
    How to make decaf coffee?
    What is brew basket overflow?
    How to clean coffee maker?

Shermie

Site Supporter
The warning is for KA coffee makers, but it also applies to the Keurig k-cup coffee makers as well, so please don't do it!! It's also a very strong possibility that ALL coffee makers are seriously affected by the use of distilled water. Even though it might sound good for health reasons, it is not good for the coffee makers!! It can cause them to crap out in some way, shape or form!! :bolt:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I've only ever used tap water, then run a vinegar/water clean every few months.
No issues at all.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've only ever used tap water, then run a vinegar/water clean every few months.
No issues at all.

Vinegar probably helps to break up lime deposits & other impurities that could send a coffee maker flying into despair. It can also be used to delime THE pipes, hoses & spray arms in the dishwasher as well. I put a sign on the top of the Keurig that reads DO NOT USE DISTILLED WATER as well as the date that I first used it, which was yesterday. :whistling:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherm, you should have been a sales rep.
🤣

Hah!!!! I'm still new at owning a Keurig, but I wish that I bought the original classic long time ago. I heard that they last a long time! I should not have jumped up & bought a "fly-by-night" that hasn't been out long enough to gain confidence in. I have been suckered into buying the wrong thing!!!! After all, my signature says it all!! Should've learned by that!! Hah!! :eek:

Shermie

Site Supporter
More shocking news is that mold & mildew can thrive in the absence of ventilation in the inner tank!! In machines like mine & others, there is an inner tank that heats the water for brewing. Water is pulled from the reservoir & into this tank. It cannot be viewed by the human eye. You'd have to try to take the machine apart to see it. But it's there, & as long as the machine is plugged in, you can feel the little bit of warmth in from of the machine. I would imagine that the Descale cycle would handle this, but we'll see.

Last edited: