bacon fat

Constance

It lasts a long time in the fridge...as long as it's not furred over, you're OK.

Add about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease to your cooking oil when you're frying chicken, and it really kicks up the flavor!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I collect all the fat from bacon & from roasts. I then use then for basting new roasts, roast vegetables, gravy. As someone else says, it is really great for shallow frying.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
OMG -GRAVY FOR BISQUITS-

Start that Gravy with Bacon Greese. If you haven't before.
Throw a sunny side Egg or 2 on top of them Bisquits and Gravy! YUM

Elaine l

Well for an update, I am still collecting my bacon grease and have used it in a lot of different ways (potatoes, baked beans, soup) I have yet to spread it on toast but thinking about it! Thanks for the replies.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Thats how I have it Elaine. 3 table spoons of Bacon Greese into the skillet, Add Table spoon Flour, Stir. Pour in Milk, salt and Pepper. And Put it over Toast!
TOAST AND GRAVY. OR BACON GREESE ON TOAST.

ALSO-Easiet way to clean up a greesy skillet is making gravy!

Tickle Me Elmo

Don't know, but as earlier said, it's always here.

We always have a container, usually in the freezer, of bacon grease/fat. We use it as the basis for cornbread, as a seasoning for green beans, in refried beans, as well as other uses. As Emeril always said, "Pork fat rules!"

We don't save the maple-flavored bacon grease. Too sweet/sugary, but we do hang on to the smoked bacon grease.

GotGarlic

I'm in the small tupperware container/freezer crowd. It can be pretty hard to scoop out though, getting only shavings. I suppose it could be nuked and refrozen.... ?

I wouldn't nuke it in the plastic container - the hot fat will melt the container and you'll have plastic in your grease :yuk: It sounds like you can start putting it in the fridge and you'll be fine.

Constance

I keep a little bit in the fridge, but we have bacon for breakfast almost every Sunday, and just leave it in the (calphalon) skillet on the stove in case we need it that week, and then the cleaning lady dumps it out when she cleans on Friday.
We keep the house cool all the time, and haven't had a problem with it getting rancid in that 5 day period.