your food "ARCH NEMESIS"

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Biscuits of all things. I've tried and tried and tried! Made some good dog biscuits though....well looked good, but I noticed even the dogs didn't eat them! :censored:

And freaking hash-browns from fresh potatoes. Just about got them whipped though.

And my SUPER Arch Nemesis.....Beggars Chicken. Can NOT get that damn dough to seal! Even tried potters clay!! ARGH!

http://bakingmum.blogspot.com/2007/07/beggars-chicken.html

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/poultryrecad/r/beggarschicken.htm

I can help with the hash browns as I do them all the time.

Here is how I've been making them but you can add other things such as garlic, pepper etc.

Hash Browns

2 potatoes, peeled
1 small onion
Butter
Salt
Pepper

Shred potatoes on hand held grater, I use a standard box grater. Squeeze out liquid from potatoes. Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium high heat add onions and cook until caramelized then removed the onions. Add some more butter to skillet and add shredded potatoes and let cook for a couple of minutes then add back the onions. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle potatoes with more butter. Cook until golden brown and then flip. Finish cooking in hot oven for 15 minutes.

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Makes 2 servings

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
These links will explain coffins to you:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/PieHistory/ApplePie.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=sr...CNldYE&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=8&ct=result

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpies.html

Coffins were often used as big presentations pieces at banquets but the crusts were not eaten. They were not only for desserts but savory cooking. It was a way to keep food hot, clean and portable as well.

There are salt and egg white coffins to bake fish.
There are pastries that enclose meat and are served--some are edible and some are still really coffins.

The trick to them is not just sealing them tightly but to maintain even heat over time because once they are opened you ruin the presentation and the cooking technique if your timing is off.

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
As for biscuits, the only kind I like are cookies. The Southern variety (baking powder biscuits) are not my thing. I hate the salty, pasty things. I have tasted them all over the South and I still haven't had something that I liked.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I can help with the hash browns as I do them all the time.

Here is how I've been making them but you can add other things such as garlic, pepper etc.

Hash Browns

2 potatoes, peeled
1 small onion
Butter
Salt
Pepper

Shred potatoes on hand held grater, I use a standard box grater. Squeeze out liquid from potatoes. Heat butter and oil in a skillet over medium high heat add onions and cook until caramelized then removed the onions. Add some more butter to skillet and add shredded potatoes and let cook for a couple of minutes then add back the onions. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle potatoes with more butter. Cook until golden brown and then flip. Finish cooking in hot oven for 15 minutes.

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Makes 2 servings

Thanks for the tips. I’ve never done the onions first, then potatoes. And I never finished them in the oven. Nice tips!

My biggest problem has been the flip and having them stay together. I saw an Alton Brown episode that helped a LOT! He takes a flat cookie sheet or plate, puts it over the pan, and then turns it. The hash brown falls onto the plate without breaking, then you slide it back into the pan. Works very well.

My next problem is getting all the potatoes cooked before the rest of the shredded potatoes browns! I just made some the other night; the first one was great (but I didn’t use onions which I will now add – thanks for the tip!) and nice and white.

The last one was BROWN! I guess I should have let the shredded flesh float in water to avoid oxidation. I squeeze all the water out before it goes in the pan, so I guess it doesn’t matter if it sits in water as it waits for the pan?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
As for biscuits, the only kind I like are cookies. The Southern variety (baking powder biscuits) are not my thing. I hate the salty, pasty things. I have tasted them all over the South and I still haven't had something that I liked.

Interesting. I can't stand sweets. Cookies really have no place in my home, but I love good bread, rolls, biscuits, etc. I'm a "salty" person......bring on the pretzels!

But if you had a "salty and pasty" biscuit, then you didn't have a real biscuit! Not sure what that was. Sounds like a dumpling, but definitely not a real biscuit.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips. I’ve never done the onions first, then potatoes. And I never finished them in the oven. Nice tips!

My biggest problem has been the flip and having them stay together. I saw an Alton Brown episode that helped a LOT! He takes a flat cookie sheet or plate, puts it over the pan, and then turns it. The hash brown falls onto the plate without breaking, then you slide it back into the pan. Works very well.

My next problem is getting all the potatoes cooked before the rest of the shredded potatoes browns! I just made some the other night; the first one was great (but I didn’t use onions which I will now add – thanks for the tip!) and nice and white.

The last one was BROWN! I guess I should have let the shredded flesh float in water to avoid oxidation. I squeeze all the water out before it goes in the pan, so I guess it doesn’t matter if it sits in water as it waits for the pan?

I turn mine over with a spatula, not a big deal. By all means let the potatos dry out a bit. I'm not looking for look though but taste.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
Curry sauce. That is one egg I have yet to crack. My favorite Indian restaurant makes a lamb with a creamy curry sauce that I've tried for years to replicate with no success...

Same here, can't make a good homemade curry sauce to save my soul, which is why I cave in and buy a good jarred korma sauce (yummy), and plop it over a bed of rice and veggies.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Interesting. I can't stand sweets. Cookies really have no place in my home, but I love good bread, rolls, biscuits, etc. I'm a "salty" person......bring on the pretzels!

But if you had a "salty and pasty" biscuit, then you didn't have a real biscuit! Not sure what that was. Sounds like a dumpling, but definitely not a real biscuit.

No, I know what a dumpling is and I know what a Southern biscuit is and I detest them--too much baking powder and just plain awful.

Southern cooking is one of my least favorite.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
No, I know what a dumpling is and I know what a Southern biscuit is and I detest them--too much baking powder and just plain awful.

Shucks ma'am, guess ya'll don't like no pulled porked, slow smoked ribs, tender smoked brisket, beer can chicken, beef stew, strawberry shortake, pie ala mode, chops smothered in gravy, mashed taters, fried okra, grilled corn on the cob with garlic butter.......yum. Too bad, it's really Good Eats! :biggrin:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Exactly, you got it, Keltin. Most of those things you mentioned I do not like at all. I rarely eat pork. I prefer my brisket prepared a different way. I hate beer and would rather have my chicken made on a verical roaster without the beer and use herbs instead. I don't cook with beer at all, I don't like the taste it leaves in the dish. Beef stew is not truly a Southern dish. I prefer strawberries and whipped cream on sponge cake and not biscuits. When I think of southern desserts, even pie--they are all toothsome--shoofly, pecan, sugar etc. Further, I don't like to eat fried food particularly and especially vegetables. And, I am not a big one for gravies. If the meat is of good grade and is prepared properly gravies and sauces are not necessary.

I guess that is why I have never really been overweight. Even the desserts that I bake are shared or given away.

Corn and mashed potatoes are the only thing you mentioned worth eating to me. I don't need to add cheese to my vegetables or boil them to death with a hambone or fry my vegetables to make them taste good.

I was raised by a very good cook whose parents' owned a steakhouse. I didn't grow up with casseroles, and boiled to death vegetables and mayo and sour cream and cheese in everything.

But that is me--it means more for you.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Exactly, you got it, Keltin. Most of those things you mentioned I do not like at all. I rarely eat pork. I prefer my brisket prepared a different way. I hate beer and would rather have my chicken made on a verical roaster without the beer and use herbs instead. I don't cook with beer at all, I don't like the taste it leaves in the dish. Beef stew is not truly a Southern dish. I prefer strawberries and whipped cream on sponge cake and not biscuits. When I think of southern desserts, even pie--they are all toothsome--shoofly, pecan, sugar etc. Further, I don't like to eat fried food particularly and especially vegetables. And, I am not a big one for gravies. If the meat is of good grade and is prepared properly gravies and sauces are not necessary.

I guess that is why I have never really been overweight. Even the desserts that I bake are shared or given away.

Corn and mashed potatoes are the only thing you mentioned worth eating to me. I don't need to add cheese to my vegetables or boil them to death with a hambone or fry my vegetables to make them taste good.

I was raised by a very good cook whose parents' owned a steakhouse. I didn't grow up with casseroles, and boiled to death vegetables and mayo and sour cream and cheese in everything.

But that is me--it means more for you.

To each their own! :beer:

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

i am not a big fan of baking powder taste either..thats why my southern bisquit recipe uses self rising flour,making soda and buttermilk

i like my shortcake on biscuits,pound cake and sponge cake..my biscuits for shortcake are sweet but have the same texture as a bicuit..

steamed veggies are great by themselves, but i also like to smother in cheese sometimes..lol

as for boil them to death, i believe you are talking about greens...not one of my favorites even boiled with a hambone..lol

still nothing like a good plate of biscuits & gravy.. :heart:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
i am not a big fan of baking powder taste either..thats why my southern bisquit recipe uses self rising flour,making soda and buttermilk
I don't use baking powder either - definitely self-rising flour. And yep, for strawberry shortcake, I just make sweet biscuits. Oh, they are heaven!!!!

Calicolady

Get yourself a deep fryer and you won't have that problem any more. I have a fairly cheap one I got at WalMart about 5 years ago now and love it. It is a wide one but they also make them with single baskets or in my case sell a single basket as wide as the double. I stopped frying in pans due to the problem with the odors permeating the house also. Oh and mine is a Presto brand.

Nice looking machine joec. Thanks.
I assume you use peanut oil. What do you do with it after?
But then what would I eat out?

High Cheese

Saucier
I love deep fried food, but won't cook it. Calamari and oysters, donuts 3 of my favs, yum!
Frying stinks up the house for a day or 2 even with exhaust fan and makes me gag.
So I save that for eating out.

What oil are you using? I pretty much only use peanut oil to fry and it doesn't smell at all.

Calicolady

Peanut oil is what I use.
I do have 2 deep fryers. one for lobster or seafood, and 1 for turkey. But I do that around the holidays and outside at the dad's house.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The taste is stronger to me in a baking powder biscuit. I find them to be salty and miserable. No amount of butter or honey makes them palatable to me.

Why you care so much keltin is really beyond me. You are obsessing on my personal opinion. Taste is subjective.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The taste is stronger to me in a baking powder biscuit. I find them to be salty and miserable. No amount of butter or honey makes them palatable to me.

Why you care so much keltin is really beyond me. You are obsessing on my personal opinion. Taste is subjective.

Your personal opinion seems to be a thinly veiled and snarky slash at another user's tastes, preferences, heritage, upbringing, and family. Not cool.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
And they aren't "baking powder biscuits". They are just biscuits. Baking powder is the leavening agent, and without it you don't get biscuits, you get hockey pucks. :doh:

Tickle Me Elmo

Like Keltin, biscuits. I've tried everyone's TNT recipe, every recommended kind of flour, used a light hand to work the dough, you name it and still can't produce a decent biscuit. Have made dog biscuits but the dogs loved 'em. Sorry, Keltin.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Like Keltin, biscuits. I've tried everyone's TNT recipe, every recommended kind of flour, used a light hand to work the dough, you name it and still can't produce a decent biscuit. Have made dog biscuits but the dogs loved 'em. Sorry, Keltin.

I'm still working on it! Maybe one day!! :yum:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
In the meantime, paint em black and ship em north where they can be put to good use!! LMAO.

I need to get myself a deep fryer.. but then DW would not allow me to ever eat out again!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
In the meantime, paint em black and ship em north where they can be put to good use!! LMAO.

I need to get myself a deep fryer.. but then DW would not allow me to ever eat out again!!

Hockey anyone??? :yum:

Speaking of deep friers, have you ever heard of a deep fried biscuit? They do that down here, but I haven't had one yet. I thought it was insane when I first heard it, but everyone says they are good. I might have to get adventurous one day. :w00t: