NCT's Iron Chef 15: Battle Ribs

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
looks good FooD

i want your hibatchi... i would turn that into a multi-purpose grill and mini UDS..lol

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
This is what I'm working on.....
Augustdinners041.jpg

two racks of baby backs, rubbed yesterday afternoon....to be smoked tomorrow.

GotGarlic

It all looks delish! Unfortunately, I'm out of town for training and can't participate this week, but I'll catch it next time.

FooD

I smoked these short ribs on the Brinkmann electric smoker for 3 hours last night. I added a couple of chunks of hickory.
Towards the end I glazed these ribs with some leftover cherry preserve/chipotle glaze I had used earlier to glaze a batch of chicken wings I had grilling in the Weber kettle. I had originally planned on foiling them as well but time was running out and everyone was hungry.

Thanks to Bam for this glaze flavor idea although I modified the recipe by combining another recipe from the Weber users' forum I've been using to glaze chicken wings......the orange marmalade/srirachi sauce glaze which is also amazing with lots of heat.

P1030903.jpg

P1030937.jpg

High Cheese

Saucier
^^^ All those looks AWESOME! ^^^^

Mine are still a work in progress. I'm doing Mexican style and Chinese style spare ribs on the smoker. So far I got the mops figured out just in time to start using them. Mexican mop: toasted dried chili peppers steeped in a base of chicken stock, water, tequila, lime juice and cider vinegar. Chinese mop: Mirin, rice vinegar, 5 spice and garlic.

I plan on making a spicy/tequila/bbq sauce for the Mexican style and a hoisin/plum sauce for the Chinese.

Wish me luck. lol

Love2"Q"

OK .. did two kinds of ribs .. this is the first ..
carribean style .. tried the recipe about a year ago ..
i didnt like it .. so i tweaked it and it came out pretty darn tasty ..

Attachments

• DSC_0003 [].JPG
    DSC_0003 [].JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 196

Love2"Q"

next up .. general tso ribs .. these were excellent .. just had a seasoning mix sitting around and thought why not .. these will go into regular rotation ..

Attachments

• DSC_0005 [].JPG
    DSC_0005 [].JPG
    144 KB · Views: 202

homecook

next up .. general tso ribs .. these were excellent .. just had a seasoning mix sitting around and thought why not .. these will go into regular rotation ..

That sounds great.......DH loves general tso's chicken, why not ribs. I also have a seasoning mix that I had planned on using on the chicken. I have to try this. Thanks!!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
That sounds great.......DH loves general tso's chicken, why not ribs. I also have a seasoning mix that I had planned on using on the chicken. I have to try this. Thanks!!

i agree...that is mostly what i eat when i have chinese take away...now i gotta try this on the smoker

thanks for the idea love2Q

chowhound

Ditto! Great idea, Q. I love that flavor. Nice ribs.

I'm going to give that DO short rib recipe a try, K. Fantastic looking.

High Cheese

Saucier
I'm bored, some pics:

The Chinese hoisin/plum sauce finished.

Ribs002-1.jpg

Infusing some canola oil with dried guajillo chiles.

Ribs001-1.jpg

Another hour for the ribs. Cam gets all hazy going from the a/c to the outdoors.

Ribs004.jpg

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Rubbed and smoked ribs with bourbon honey glaze

Augustdinners041.jpg

Augustdinners066.jpg

Augustdinners067.jpg

Augustdinners073.jpg

Served with baked beans, jamaican calallo and fried potatoes

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Outdoor dutch oven?? The meal looks great. Is the oven electric?

The Outdoor Dutch Oven is a cast iron Dutch oven with legs on the bottom to keep it raised off the ground, and a flat lid with a lip. You place hot coals under the DO and on the lid (the lip keeps them from falling off). So you cook with charcoal outside. The basic briquette formula for heat is 2x the size of your DO = 350 degrees F. Every 2 coals you add after that = 25 extra degrees. Mine is a 10, so 20 coals = 350 in mine.

This style of Dutch Oven truly puts the oven into DO. You can do more than braising and in fact can cook nearly anything that can be cooked in a regular oven. Roast meats and veggies, meatloaf, and you can even bake biscuits, bread, pies, and cakes.

This first pic is the one I have. The second pic shows a Lodge DO in action.

ibvvja.jpg

2il0hoz.jpg

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome looking ribs everybody! Incredible. Vera – I didn’t know you could smoke! Sweet!! Your ribs look excellent!

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, I've seen those lately. Most recently, when we were in Williamsburg, being used in the authentic kitchens. I thought then that I'd want one..and sure enough, I really do. I could actually make a stew in the middle of summer with one of those.

Yes, I smoke...it's a Brinkman, and I spend all day adding more coals so I can never go too far when I am smoking. I put the ribs on at 9am and took them off shortly after 3pm. I added the glaze during the last 1/2 hour.

Everyone, I just knew the ribs challenge was going to be wonderful.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Nice job on those ribs, Vera.
What kind of smoker is that?

It's a Brinkman. I got it in the Ramsey Outdoor store about 10 years ago for 75 bucks. I have to add coals to it all day long, so it's a bit tedious, but I do enjoy using it.

chowhound

It's a Brinkman. I got it in the Ramsey Outdoor store about 10 years ago for 75 bucks. I have to add coals to it all day long, so it's a bit tedious, but I do enjoy using it.

Thanks. Tough to tell looking straight into it, but I thought I saw charcoal.

I've got an outdoor DO, but I also bought a 3.5 qt Lodge indoor one I use quite often (no legs). I'm using it now on the stove. CI DOs are nice.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Keltin, I've seen those lately. Most recently, when we were in Williamsburg, being used in the authentic kitchens. I thought then that I'd want one..and sure enough, I really do. I could actually make a stew in the middle of summer with one of those.

Yes, I smoke...it's a Brinkman, and I spend all day adding more coals so I can never go too far when I am smoking. I put the ribs on at 9am and took them off shortly after 3pm. I added the glaze during the last 1/2 hour.

Everyone, I just knew the ribs challenge was going to be wonderful.

first off Vera, and everyone, awesome looking ribs posted this week. brought a tear to my eye..lol

now Vera...thats the joys of owning a brinkman smoke n grill bullet smoker... you should seriously consider doing some mods to it, you wont have to tend to the fire nearly as much. i have owned a few of them and without those mods even on the best ideal outside temperature, u still have to tend to it way too much and they have lots of issues.

here is a site used by many,a very good site. i have done many of the same mods myself and it gives me better heat control and better charcoal usage

http://www.randyq.addr.com/ecb/ecbmods.html

FooD

I suppose you can load your coals like they do with Weber Smokey Mountain smokers using the Minion Method, by loading the pan with a large pile of coals with just a few lit coals on top. This will keep just the right amount of coals burning for several hours at the right temp by regulating the bottom vent. No need to reload at all.