The rotting table

LastManStanding

This table has been made by my father alone somewhere in the late 60s. Without any power tools. Sawing, drilling, planing, and everything down to polishing.
It's a writing table, a clerk's table. The top is pure jak wood, one of the most valuable timbers in Sri Lanka, and has a really beautiful golden colour and grain..
It was at my maternal grandmother's home, and later with aunts after grandma passed away.
This is today. It has been left outside to rot, in the sun and rain. They say they will use it for firewood. The drawers and doors are gone, probably already used as firewood. I saw it today when I visited them, and took a last photo.

IMG20240328180150.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This table has been made by my father alone somewhere in the late 60s. Without any power tools. Sawing, drilling, planing, and everything down to polishing.
It's a writing table, a clerk's table. The top is pure jak wood, one of the most valuable timbers in Sri Lanka, and has a really beautiful golden colour and grain..
It was at my maternal grandmother's home, and later with aunts after grandma passed away.
This is today. It has been left outside to rot, in the sun and rain. They say they will use it for firewood. The drawers and doors are gone, probably already used as firewood. I saw it today when I visited them, and took a last photo.

View attachment 65793

Such a shame, Indike! It looked as if it was an example of great workmanship and love.

Lee

LastManStanding

Such a shame, Indike! It looked as if it was an example of great workmanship and love.

Lee
It was. It was seamless, no visible joints on the top which has now been consumed by the elements. You can see water collecting on it. It was definitely one of the most perfect works of carpentry you would ever see. The strange thing was that he wasn't a carpenter. He could paint beautifully, and his handwriting was perfect. He was a perfectionist.