Double yolk eggs

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My brother bought a dozen jumbo eggs for 99 cents. I wanted to make a few deviled eggs for a side dish, and here's what I found.

The egg white walls were pretty thin, and some broke, but I managed to fill almost all of the "boats". The filling held the walls together enough to pick up in our hands.

BTW, I didn't have any bacon, so QBro minced some Spam, fried it up, and used that in the filling. Wonderful!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Way cool Lee. were they labeled Double Yolks? We have a poultry farm here and they have a few dozen eggs labeled Double Yolks in the cooler usually. I think I saw tripples once, a long time ago.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Noooooooo, Andy, the carton was only labeled "Jumbo Grade A".

This came as a surprise to me.

How does this happen? Is there a breed of chickens that always lays double-yokers?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow! I've only ever gotten 1-2 of those doubles in my whole life. And you got a whole carton in one shot! How cool!! So glad you grabbed pics of that. Awesome! :clap:

chowhound

Wow, that's weird alright. That would surprise the heck out of me.
And to my knowledge, there isn't a breed of chicken that produces more double yolks than others, just chickens that are more productive at laying eggs.

Biskit

Noooooooo, Andy, the carton was only labeled "Jumbo Grade A".

This came as a surprise to me.

How does this happen? Is there a breed of chickens that always lays double-yokers?

Lee

Double yolk eggs happen in the same way as indentical twin humans come about. The embroyo (yolk) splits, thus you get a double yolk egg. I would suppose some kinds of chickens are more prone to this, but I don't know.
Biology 101 dismissed!

chowhound

Double yolk eggs happen in the same way as indentical twin humans come about. The embroyo (yolk) splits, thus you get a double yolk egg. I would suppose some kinds of chickens are more prone to this, but I don't know.
Biology 101 dismissed!

Huh?
This answer sounds good, but the yolk is not the chicken, or embryo. The yolk is the food for the embryo, which is nothing but a small teeny thing that develops as time goes on. BTW, The egg white is just there for protection, which is why it dries up the older the egg gets (fertilized or not).
:wink:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - A little bit of research says that young chickens at the beginning of their egg laying career and old chickens at the end of their career (Hmmmm Stew) "CAN" lay double yolk eggs.

Commercially produced eggs are typically "candled" a porcess whereby a light is shined through the egg. They are looking for fertile eggs abd can at that time see double yolk eggs> Here is a primer, there are others if you Google. I did loof for folks that sell double yolks by the dozzen and did not find them. I can check at the poultryfarm next time I am there.I am pretty sure that you could buy them by the dozen there.

HTH

Andy

Lee - Getting a whold dozen double yolks is so statistically "out there" that you probably got a dozzen that had been culled whn candling and they lost track of it. The link I posted says tht it happens in about every 1out of 1,000 eggs.

buckytom

Grill Master
very cool, qsis.

i'm gonna have to look for free range eggs from three mile island farms... jumbos, you say?
:huh:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Wow--I've seen a couple of double yolk eggs but never anything like that. I bet those deviled eggs were great with all that filling :wub:.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i love dipping eggs (over easy, soft boiled and poached)

i would love a "whiteless" egg!!