Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sweet and Sour Pork Meatballs

Ingredients

Meatballs
1 lb ground pork (or 1.5 lbs Pork Steak, and grind it yourself)
1/4 cup minced leeks
1-2 Tbsp minced Garlic
Salt & Pepper
Bamboo Skewers
Oil for frying

Sauce
1 small can pineapple juice (6 oz)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
2 Tbsp Sake (Japanese Rice Wine)
1 Tbsp Soy
1 Tbsp cornstarch

1/2 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp Olive Oil

Noodles
Mai Fun Noodles (Rice Sticks)
1/2 cup Chicken broth

Procedure

Heat frying oil to 375 degrees.

Break or cut the Mai Fun noodle block into thirds. Soak the noodles in hot tap water for 5 minutes or until pliable. Drain and put noodles into a pan with the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone and the noodles are just past Al Dente. Drain and set aside in a covered dish.

In a sauce pan, combine all sauce ingredients except cornstarch. Place over medium heat.

As the sauce is heating, sauté the Bell Peppers and onions in the olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the sauce to the pan and stir well to coat. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low to keep warm.

Bring remaining sauce up to a boil. Make a slurry with the Cornstarch by mixing it with a 1/4 cup of water. Slowly add the slurry to the sauce to thicken it. Once it is at the desired consistency, transfer to a bowl for serving and dipping.

Mix the leeks and garlic into the ground pork. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pinch off a bit of the mixture and make a 1/2” to 3/4” meatball and set aside. Once all the meatballs have been made, skewer them and then dip them into the frying oil in batches, about 5-6 at a time. Fry until done and nicely browned, about 3 minutes. Set on paper towels to drain.

Plate the noodles in the center of a large platter. Pour the pepper and onion mixture over the noodles. Arrange the skewered meatballs around the noodles. Serve the platter with the reserved dipping sauce.

Egg Rolls, crunchy Chow Mien noodles, and steamed snow peas go great with this.

Note
I had some scrap pork left over after cutting up the pork steaks for the ground pork, so I used some leeks, garlic, and the scraps to make a pork broth which I cooked the noodles in. It adds a bit more pork flavor to the dish instead of using the chicken broth.

For a bit more extra flavor, when sautéing the onions and peppers, add a splash of Sake halfway through the cooking time and then cover to finish cooking for very nice flavor.

We’ve tried our hand at Sweet and Sour sauce many times, and are finally really, really pleased with this version. It’s very nice and we hope you like it!

--------------Pictures--------------

If using fresh pork, grind it in a food processor or meat grinder.
Step_1-17.jpg

Step_2-17.jpg

Step_3-14.jpg

Step_9-5.jpg

Cook the noodles and set aside.
Step_6-9.jpg

Make the sauce and set aside.
Step_5-10.jpg

Sauté the peppers and onions, cover with 1/4 cup of the sauce, and set aside.
Step_7-7.jpg

Step_8-5.jpg

Skewer and fry the meatballs.
Step_10-4.jpg

Plate it all with reserved sauce.

Step_11-3.jpg

Step_12-2.jpg

Step_13-1.jpg

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
yah those are on my to do really soon list

the funny thing is i was going to make a meatball dish for my entry as well..lol

i think this weekend i will introduce NCT to a new food group...lol