Spicy Donair - Canadian Food

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
what is a donair you ask? pronounced "DOUGH-nair". It's a Mediterranean-style pita-bread sandwich of uncertain provenance. The donair is similar to a gyro, except that the meat is beef, not lamb, and the sauce more resembles honey mustard salad dressing than the cucumber dill of tzatziki. While it most likely came from Greece, Turkey, or Lebanon, the donair has achieved ubiquity in Halifax, starting in the 1970s.

this recipe calls for lamb and pork products simply because i like them.. you can leave out those ingredients if you want the traditional dish

1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup ground lamb
1/4 cup grated pepperoni
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Preheat oven to 325*F

Place all ingredients in food processor. Process until extremely well mixed. (Knead for about 15 minutes if you do not have a processor)

Form into a loaf; place it on a broiler pan. If you do not have one, use baking sheet.

Bake for 2 hours, turning the loaf over about half way through. This will ensure even cooking.

For best results let stand till cool and refrigerate overnight. Then slice and reheat slices in fry pan just till heated through.

Heat Pita and meat, place mozzarella stick on pita, add heated meat, your favorite donair sauce, the diced onion, dice tomato, shredded lettuce.

Also makes a great pizza, layer with mozzarella cheese, spread with my garlic sweet sauce, add more cheese, add Donair meat, pepperoni slices, onions, and tomatoes, bake 15 minutes, add lettuce after cooked.

Note:

Wet pitas lightly before heating up so they remain soft.

simple donair sauce

2/3 cup canned evaporated milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder

You should be able to get thick sauce simply by following the instructions in the top recipe. I can get mine a bit thicker than yogurt. Occasionally, I blow it and stir too much and the sauce gets thin again. If your sauce is not thick enough (I like spoons to stand up in it) follow the recipe below. It is my new favorite.

Alternate SUPER-THICK Sauce Recipe

2/3 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Follow the same instructions as above, except that you really need to stir for a long time to get the condensed milk and vinegar mixed properly. Do not be alarmed. Stirring this recipe for a long time will not make it thin. Leave set for a few minutes and you will be able to turn the bowl upside down and none of it will pour out.

Please note, the amount of sauce provided in this recipe will likely last two servings at most (if used properly). I find that the sauce can be made in larger batches and survives an unnaturally long time in the fridge.