Crispy fried brussels sprouts

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We ordered these as a side dish at dinner on vacation, so I don't know how they were done.

They were served in a "bacon-balsamic reduction", and they were flattened, sort of smushed, so I'm thinking they were weighted down in a frying pan.

Really tasty! It was the second year we've ordered these!

Lee

Attachments

• Crispy fried brussels sprouts.JPG
    Crispy fried brussels sprouts.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 205

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I do love a good sprout (g)

I boil til semi-soft, cut in half, then single layer in a fry pan with a dash of butter & oil.
s&p, the usual suspects.

after some browning, one needs to finger&fork combo, two forks for the tender finger crowd, flip them cut side down. the weight thing sounds like a neat idea - a bacon press should work, no?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not sure how much area a bacon press covers, Chowder (I've always wanted one), but sure - it would work fine!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
What a great idea! Thanks Lee! I was thinking of brussels sprouts for Christmas Eve dinner and these would be PERFECT!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That does sound good to me also. I've had a bacon balsamic reduction before on broccoli and asparagus.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That does sound good to me also. I've had a bacon balsamic reduction before on broccoli and asparagus.

Joe, or anyone, could you please post what you use for quantities for that reduction?

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is the recipe I used the time I made the brussel sprouts.

Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Reduction & Bacon

1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed (but save those stray leaves!)
1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
pinch raw sugar ( I use 2 tbs of real butter instead)
2 strips bacon, diced
1 TBSP canola oil, if needed
2 TBSP grated Parmesan

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Parboil Brussels sprouts about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking. Once cool, halve lengthwise and let dry on paper towels.

While Brussels sprouts are drying, bring vinegar to a boil and stir in a pinch of sugar. Whisk constantly until reduced by half. Transfer to large mixing bowl.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp and fat has rendered. Remove (and reserve) bacon using a slotted spoon. Increase heat to high and add halved Brussels sprouts into the pan with the bacon fat, cut side down (adding more canola oil if pan looks dry). Let cook until brown and caramelized (now is a good time to throw in those stray Brussels sprouts leaves). Flip and continue cooking a few more minutes.

Transfer to bowl with balsamic reduction and tose.

Now here is one that is a little different I use on Grilled Flank Steak.

Grilled Flank Steak with Bacon Balsamic Glaze - Robin Miller 2007

Ingredients
Cooking spray (I use a tea spoon of oil as I hate sprays)
2 tablespoons triple peppercorns (recommended: peppercorn melange)
1 flank steak, about 1 1/4 pounds
Salt
2 teaspoons garlic flakes
4 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves ( I sometimes leave this off)

Directions
Heat a stove-top grill pan or griddle with cooking spray over medium-high heat to preheat. Place peppercorns in a plastic bag and smash with the flat side of a meat mallet, or bottom of a heavy skillet, until finely crushed. Season both sides of flank steak with crushed peppercorns, salt and garlic flakes.

Place steak on hot pan and cook 5 minutes per side for medium doneness. Remove from heat and let steak rest 10 minutes. Slice meat crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices.

While the steak is cooking, Place diced bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crisp. Add vinegar and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, or until liquid reduces. In a small bowl, add broth and cornstarch, whisking until cornstarch is completely dissolved, and add to skillet. Simmer 2 minutes bringing to a full boil, until sauce thickens. Remove from heat, spoon sauce over steak slices and top with parsley.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oooo, great, Joe!

Copied and saved the first one - thanks!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Oooo, great, Joe!

Copied and saved the first one - thanks!

Lee

I also like the first bacon balsamic reduction with butter better than the second on my steaks. Anything you see in () are my changes. I've done the first one with several different vegetables and all are good. I'm not too big on cornstarch as a thickening agent and forgot to say I use a bit of demi glacé instead when working with beef sauces. The balsamic can get almost like syrup when reduced even the really cheap ones.

Mr. Green Jeans

Love me some good sprouts too! We get good local sprouts this time of year. When grown in cool weather, they have a sweet, nutty flavor. Adding bacon and balsamic, oh my!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
couple of our supermarkets are carrying them "on the stem" now that frost has come.

now,,, for two people, a stem full is too much for a single meal, but in the crisper they keep for about a week.

methinks on the stem is noticeably fresher than loose or prepacked - but a six week old stem would probably disprove that theory (g)