Perfect Prime Rib

Cooksie

Site Supporter
He sure didn't skimp on his cut. He just needs a little horseradish on the side :brows:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That DOES look perfect to me, Sass! And I love the cooking method!

Very cool!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Lee.
I might just do it for the first time ever in my life.
Looks easy, and that's all I need lol

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Boy, it does look perfect! No gray/brown ring around a pink center - just perfect rosy pink all the way to the edge. I think I'm going to try this.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
In otherwords you don't want it to moo at you. Right? :lol::lol::lol::lol:
What's wrong with a little moo, eh? :brows:

'Course this was a New York strip..

2010-06-24 16-51-30.560.jpg

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
HMMMMMMMMMMMM I see people saying that internal beef temps of 130F for rare, 140F for medium. I pull my beef at 120F and to me that is the perfect MEDIUM - pink, warm and juicy. To me above 120F is over cooked.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Hey - have we ever done a poll on "How do you like your roast beef". I, too, like mine on the rare side, but I'll bet we have a wide range of preference here.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I assume then that you let it sit for awhile so that the hotter outer areas continued to cook the center. Right Peepsie? If not, your thermo is probably off.

Agreed. That looks like 145 to me. It may be time for a new thermometer.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I assume then that you let it sit for awhile so that the hotter outer areas continued to cook the center. Right Peepsie? If not, your thermo is probably off.
Yes like I said I "pulled" it out of the oven when it was 120F, than it sat for about 15 - 20 minutes while I made the gravy and finished the veggies. And that was a bit more done than I like it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Yes like I said I "pulled" it out of the oven when it was 120F, than it sat for about 15 - 20 minutes while I made the gravy and finished the veggies. And that was a bit more done than I like it.

Thank God you didn't try to "push" it out of the oven as you could have fallen in and made Peepsie burgers of yourself.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Was it in a covered roaster? A metal pan that may have absorbed heat from the oven. I’ve never seen carry over heat cook that much before unless it was in a sealed and heated vessel. If you pulled at 120, that looks to be 20 to 25 degrees of carry over cooking which is substantial.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ummmm looks perfect to me. :thumb: I like medium rare.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the "minutes per pound" approach works - but is not "universal" for all weights & sizes.

reason: a specific amount of heat energy must be absorbed into the roast in order to warm the mass of meat up to the desired temp (120, 130, pick you number. . . .)

that heat energy is absorbed through the surface of the roast - more specifically through the _surface area_ of the roast.

the relationship between surface area and volume (read: weight) is not linear - a 10 pound roast does not have twice the surface area of a 5 pound roast.

going with a "minutes per pound" or this specific trick of "blast it then turn off the oven" - try to stay close to the weight/size the recipe author is citing.

bone in vs. boneless is another big factor in cooking time. bones are denser, require more heat energy to get hot, extends cooking time....

there are similar heat transfer / storage issues with the (as folks note) carry-over effect.

the generalized theory of exploiting carry-over cooking / heat is: the outside is hotter than the inside, when removed from the oven the higher heat around the outside continues to diffuse into the roast center, raising the center temp, while the outside temp lowers - with the heat being lost "to the room" _and_ "to the roast middle"

so,,, if you're cooking a roast low and slow, there's not a huge temperature difference between the outside and the inside - the low temperature heat is diffusing into the entire roast more or less "evenly" - that low&slow approach is one way to get the rare/pink through and through effect vs the "more done outside, rarer in the middle" because the heat has penetrated more evenly throughout the roast. carry-over is minimal; you pull it at center temp X, and the outside is only a few degrees hotter,, anyway . . . .

in contrast when using high roasting temps, the outside "layer" is significantly hotter than the center - there's simply more heat energy to carry-over into the center and the carry-over effect is more noticeable.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Ladies and Gentlemen, call 2010 my "Year of Living Dangerously"!

I make Prime rib every year for Christmas. Hank buys the meat, and I cook it. It's always good - or at least everyone says.

I bought a Prime rib. 4 ribs, small end, USDA Prime. Bone-in. Almost 10 pounds. $147.00 BIG RISK HERE!!!!!

I decided to try this. Preheated the oven to 500F. Rubbed the roast with butter, herbs, S&P. Did the math. 5 minutes per pound; round up; add 1 minute. 51 minutes at 500F, then turned the oven off for exactly 2 hours.

This was absofreakinlutely the best I've ever had. It was PERFECT!!!!! Do I have enough caps & exclamation marks here to show how excited I am??? My guests, who have eaten all over the world, agreed that they've never had prime rib so perfect, so buttery, so juicy. Gloria, who is very hard to impress, wants the recipe.

I'm done experimenting. This is the only way I will ever cook prime rib again. If you had any doubts about this, take it from me - it IS perfect.

Whew!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds GREAT SS!!!!!!! How rare was it? I would like to try this also. :thumb:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I couldn't stick a thermometer in it because I couldn't open the oven door! But it appeared to be right on the line between rare and medium rare. The color was closer to medium rare, but the buttery texture was closer to rare. All 6 of us thought it was perfect. Even Larry, who likes well-done (eek!) said he had never had better (he got the end slice, but I served it face down so he wouldn't see the pink side).

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
What a brave (and self-confident) soul you are! I'd be afraid to attempt cooking a piece of meat so spendy...and you experimented! Wow, it sounds wonderful. If a piece of prime rib should ever cross my path again in my whole life, that's exactly how I will cook it. (Nothing like that here in Mexico.) I'm so glad you all enjoyed your Christmas dinner so much!

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
63685_10150354837835117_658865116_16192250_5117540_n.jpg

Crumby pic, but a perfect 120 after an oven sear at 425, the dropped to 300. an hour 45 min later, a very hearty slab o rib is dealt.

The bone IS the best part for me. These were 1 person per bone slices, yielding an almost 2lb SLAB of laughable beast. . .but I got all the bones. NOM NOM NOM

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ladies and Gentlemen, call 2010 my "Year of Living Dangerously"!

I make Prime rib every year for Christmas. Hank buys the meat, and I cook it. It's always good - or at least everyone says.

I bought a Prime rib. 4 ribs, small end, USDA Prime. Bone-in. Almost 10 pounds. $147.00 BIG RISK HERE!!!!!

I decided to try this. Preheated the oven to 500F. Rubbed the roast with butter, herbs, S&P. Did the math. 5 minutes per pound; round up; add 1 minute. 51 minutes at 500F, then turned the oven off for exactly 2 hours.

This was absofreakinlutely the best I've ever had. It was PERFECT!!!!! Do I have enough caps & exclamation marks here to show how excited I am??? My guests, who have eaten all over the world, agreed that they've never had prime rib so perfect, so buttery, so juicy. Gloria, who is very hard to impress, wants the recipe.

I'm done experimenting. This is the only way I will ever cook prime rib again. If you had any doubts about this, take it from me - it IS perfect.

Whew!
:applause:;)