Penguin Olives

Cooksie

Site Supporter
penguinolives.jpg

These little guys are all over the internet. I saw them when I was googling olive appetizers, so this was not my idea. There are all kinds of ways to dress them up. I saw some really cute ones.

What I used:

jumbo black olives (for the bodies)
medium black olives (for the heads)
Creamy Swiss Laughing Cow cheese (to stuff the bodies)
1/4" carrot slices (for feet and beaks)
green onion tops, very thinly sliced (for the mufflers)
toothpicks

Cut a v-shaped section from the large black olive and stuff with cheese. Cut a v-shaped section from the carrot slice. Cut a small slice off of the end (where the x is from where it was pitted) of the medium black olive. You need a larger hole to keep the olive from cracking when the beak is pushed though. Use a knife to push the v-section of the carrot (cut from the foot piece) through the large hole in the back of the medium olive through to the hole that you cut. Once you get it through far enough, you can finish pulling it out the front and kind of get it positioned correctly.

Run the toothpick through the body and position it on the feet. Make sure that it is going to stand up, and then cut a little off of each side of the carrot to make the feet look more like penguin feet. Slide the head on.

Run the green onion tops under warm water until pliable. Tie a little muffler, and you're done.

That's what worked for me. Lol--My beaks are positioned more like duck bills, and my heads are sideways instead of up and down, but I think you can still tell that they're supposed to be penguins.

Now, if you really want to get creative, check out this cream cheese igloo--source: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...penguins/3c411d56-1ba3-4f9a-9c5c-23b2c33ccb81

r34796fp.jpg

suziquzie

LOL they are so darn cute!
I've seen them in my Betty Crocker Christmas book every year and WANTED to make them..... but had no time to putz. Maybe this year.