Straw and Hay

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Straw and Hay (Paglia e Fieno)
Recipe adapted from: Benson & Hedges 100’s presents 100 Recipes from 100 of the Greatest Restaurants (1978) – Toscana Restaurant, New York, New York

IMG_1006.jpg

16 oz green and white pasta twirls, dry measure, cooked according to pkg directions
2 T butter
4 button mushrooms, sliced
1 green onion, sliced
1 C whipping cream
¼ to ½ C cooked ham, julienned
¼ C frozen green peas, thawed
¼ C shredded parmesan cheese
2 well-beaten egg yolks

Saute the mushrooms and green onions in butter. Add the cream, ham, peas, and continue cooking on low heat. Add the cheese and egg yolks. Mix thoroughly. Add the hot, cooked pasta twirls and continue to cook until slightly thickened.

Makes 2 to 3 entrée servings.

What a great "twist" on a classic dish (instead of spinach & plain fetucinne). :thumb: Luv your pic, as well. I have a similar recipe using spaghetti squash & spaghetti. Will have to make this again soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.:clap:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
What a great "twist" on a classic dish (instead of spinach & plain fetucinne). :thumb: Luv your pic, as well. I have a similar recipe using spaghetti squash & spaghetti. Will have to make this again soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.:clap:
Thanks, CC!
I've always used spinach and plain fettucini, but I can't find it in any of the stores anymore. We liked it just as well with the twists.

I made a crabmeat version of it tonight - half regular spaghetti; half spinach spaghetti; tossed with a buttery King Crab meat sauce.

Tuscan Chef

If you want our advice, cook the pasta less, reduce the cream, sautee a little so that you eliminate liquid part, add parmesan now, turn of fire (you want parmesan to adhere to the pasta but not to cook), last couple of sautees, judging when to stop. Careful with egg yolks as it might turn into an omelette.
This would give a better texture, your picture shows too much cream and it's almost a soup...

Cooksie

Site Supporter
If you want our advice, cook the pasta less, reduce the cream, sautee a little so that you eliminate liquid part, add parmesan now, turn of fire (you want parmesan to adhere to the pasta but not to cook), last couple of sautees, judging when to stop. Careful with egg yolks as it might turn into an omelette.
This would give a better texture, your picture shows too much cream and it's almost a soup...

Thank you. I'll keep those tips in mind for next time.