Net Cooking Talk

Go Back   Net Cooking Talk > Cooking Talk Forums > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Other Outdoor Cooking Forum

Other Outdoor Cooking Forum Deep Frying Turkeys etc ...

Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Ni pedo

BamsBBQ is on a distinguished road
Style: Gonzo
Default Cooking a Whole Hog on a Cinderblock Pit

this is not my idea... its from a lady on another website i frequent... i am going to try this in the summer time

this is not spam..its her website http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...ck-pit_19.html

Here is an easy way to cook whole hogs from 50 to 150lbs. without an expensive cooker. Cinder block pits are easy to use, cheap and portable. You have the option to use your favorite wood chips for flavoring, mesquite, hickory, fruit woods, whichever you like, or no wood chips at all.
Also you can season the pork with dry rub or marinade for a few hours or overnight. The choice is yours
Pigs cooked on the cinder block pit come out so tender and juicy. A must try for the person that enjoys cooking outside or cooking for a large group.

Things you will need.....
30 cinder blocks, 35 to 50lbs charcoal, wood chips (hickory, mesquite, or your favorite), rake or hoe, foil, drip pans, tin to cover, bricks to hold down tin, grate or expanded metal........Also, one nice looking 50 to 125lb pig.

Skin the pig or scald and scrape.
This one was skinned, head and feet removed.

Using an axe and a hammer, butterfly the pig so that it will lay flat on the cooker.
Place the blade of the axe on the spine, use the hammer to tap the back of the axe head, splitting the spine. If you do this on a pig that you have scalded and scraped, do not cut into the skin.
Tap the axe and repeat until you've split the length of the spine. Press the shoulders and legs to make the pig lay flat.

I made a marinade of orange juice, lime juice, garlic cloves, coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper, oregano and cilantro.
Make 1" slits into the meat with a knife and shove the garlic cloves and spices into the openings.
You can use your favorite marinade or skip this step completely. Also, dry rub is a good option.

Cover the pig with ice and let it marinade overnight.

If you want to skip this step, just chill the meat for a few hours before cooking.

Pick an area that has no grass. Set the cinder blocks up two rows high.
I line the bottom with foil to channel some of the dripping grease away from the heat to avoid flair ups.
You can add drip pans in the bottom if you like, these are optional. I filled my drip pans with apple juice seasoned with my favorite dry rub to add extra flavor to the meat while cooking.

Go ahead and light your charcoal, about 5lbs at each end of the pit. The charcoal goes under the hams and the shoulders only. Do not place any charcoal under the rib section of the pig. The heat from the coals under the hams and shoulders is enough to cook the whole pig.

After placing your foil and drip pans in the bottom, lay the grate across the blocks. Stainless is great, but any grill works good.
Add a third row of cinder blocks around the edge, (a fourth row if your pig is too tall to cover), place pig on the grate and cover with tin.

Keep a rake or hoe handy to move coals around if needed.

Place the pig on back side first, then turn on it's belly half way through. This one is ready to turn.

The whole cinderblock pit is covered with metal and held down with bricks if you live in a windy area.
One thing about the metal..... Do not used galvanized metal when cooking. In this case the cooker does not get hot enough to make any difference, but if you are cooking with a hot fire, the galvanized metal could give off fumes that could make you ill.
If you have nothing BUT galvanized metal, burn it with a blow torch or weed burner before using.

Add charcoal to each end of the cooker every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Move an end block to allow room to throw 10 to 15 pieces of charcoal on top of the hot charcoal at each end. You do not need to have these fresh charcoals lit, the heat of the burning charcoals will light them. (you can burn wood in a separate pit and add those instead of charcoal)
You can also add soaked wood chips ( your favorites), while cooking. You do not need to add them every time you add charcoal, it will make the pork too smokey. Add a handful three or four times during the first few hours of the cooking process.
I used hickory on this one.

Half way through cooking time, remove tin, grab the legs and turn pig onto it's belly side. (this one is ready to turn)
This usually takes two people and gloves make the job a lot easier. The pig only needs to be turned once through the whole cooking process.
Check the rib section. If it's cooking too fast, cover with foil to keep from over cooking.
Cover and finish cooking.

Cook the pig to an internal temperature of 170 degrees. (Some folks use from 160 to 180......170 works for me ). This can take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours, depending on the size of the pig, and the weather conditions. Take the temperature in the thickest part of the ham with an instant read thermometor.
Let the meat rest for at least 20 minutes to equalize the juices. Move to serving table or plywood covered in foil and dig in. Serve your favorite sauces on the side.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Grill Master

PanchoHambre is on a distinguished road

A long time ago I went to a party where they did this.... Wow it was tasty... the whole hog freaked me out a bit... was not as comfortable with the meats back then
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Dessert Chef

Constance is on a distinguished road

We had friends who used to roast a whole young hog on a spit over a fire pit. It took a long time and involved massive consumption of beer by the cooks. Once, when they were turning the pig, they dropped it in the fire, and Dew (our friend) grabbed the pitchfork to get it out. We all joked about the extra flavor it gave the pork. Nobody died or got sick, so I guess it was relatively clean.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Restaurant Chef

joec is on a distinguished road
Style: Default VB Style

It is quite common in South Florida with the Cuban and Caribbean influence on the culture there. I might add the parties I've attended the food was very good too.

During creation, God promised man that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world.
Then, he went and made the world round.... He has a sense of humor
Old 04-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Queen of the Jungle

lifesaver91958 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cooking a Whole Hog on a Cinderblock Pit

Very interesting idea, Bam... i've never seen a pit built like that.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:48 AM
Mini man - maxi food

Miniman is on a distinguished road
Style: Gonzo

Iteresting
Old 04-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Goddess of Love

lilylove is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
We had friends who used to roast a whole young hog on a spit over a fire pit. It took a long time and involved massive consumption of beer by the cooks. Once, when they were turning the pig, they dropped it in the fire, and Dew (our friend) grabbed the pitchfork to get it out. We all joked about the extra flavor it gave the pork. Nobody died or got sick, so I guess it was relatively clean.

We are going to a pig roast the first weekend in May! Our friends do this every year!! It's quite the party!! Yummmmy!! Massive consumption of beer and hard stuff by cooks and guests, lol. It's a pot luck style party and most of the folks coming are great cooks. Can't wait!!! I think I'll be taking my salmon dip again as it has been requested.