Salmon wrapped scallops.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Salmon wrapped scallops.

Our fish monger alerted me that the wild caught sockeye season is winding down - I've been meaning to try this out so I figured it's time. this stuff is fresh, never frozen.

For dinner I bought a sockeye filet - including the thinner tail portion. lopped off about seven inches / 18 cm of the tail, skinned it, and sliced in half longways - to give me a "ribbon" to wrap around the sea scallop - which was roughly two inches / 5 cm in diameter. one can 'squish' them a bit to reduce the diameter and make them a bit thicker.... wrapped & toothpicked.

looks like:

DSC_4883s.jpg

dry pack scallops, salted/pepper, room temp
now, I made a boo-boo. as you can see, the thin end is outside; would have been prettier wrapped it so the thicker part was on the outside.

plopped into a hot pan:

DSC_4889s.jpg

flipped after a nice sear:

DSC_4890s.jpg

3-4 minute sear on the remainder of the filet; into a 325'F / 160'C oven - on a rack - about 8 minutes.
plated up with some friends, ring the bell!

DSC_4901s.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, how beautiful and brilliant! Even your fries look delicious, CMan!

Although I've heard of them, I don't think I've ever seen dry packed scallops. They are supposed to be much easier to get a good sear, as I can see by yours.

Nice job!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
thanks Lee. 2-3 / person of these would make a nice entree. this was my first try.

dry packed are tricky to find - with no preservatives they only have a 2-3 day shelf life. unless you have a good fish monger, it's not likely to happen. I've never seen frozen dry pack as one might find in a supermarket. I'm guessing they don't freeze/thaw well unless pumped up with the extra water.

you can cope to a degree - completely thawed, salt liberally, on a plate in the fridge for 2-4 hours. that draws some of the water out. then pat dry before searing. the "pat dry" bit is the critical element.

here's the potatoes - I picked up some local white potatoes. frankly I don't like them. they did not cook up quite the same as plain ole' boring russets. I do a wash, parboil, slice, pan fry to pretty.

Attachments

• DSC_4893.jpg
    DSC_4893.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 127