As Seen on TV Culinary Crap Wiz-Kid Gadgets.

Shermie

Site Supporter
How many of you have been enticed or had the notion to buy one of these culinary crap Wiz-Kid gadgets?

Let's see, there Chef Tony, the ShamWow guy, Billy Mays and the Queen of Culinary Crap gadgets, Kathy Mitchell. All of them are supposedly vying to seel these wiz-kid products, most of which almost never work.

From miracle pasta cookers to cleaning fluids, to household products, to other cooking miracles and everything else in between!

And then there are those infommercials or paid programs that come on late at night in the wee hours of the morning or early in the morning at dawn, trying to sell everything under the sun - wasting up and monopolizing too much valuable & precious air time!!

Who come up with this crap and are there really THAT many people who would spend their hard-earned dough on this stuff, knowing that it might not stand a snowball's chance in hell of ever working properly?

I'll be the 1st one to admit that I've bought a few of these items, and those chosen ones work, but the bulk of the stuff leaves a lot to be desired. Beats me! :bounce:

GotGarlic

I can't stand commercials, and I *really* can't stand commercials where someone is yelling, so we mute them almost all the time. So I can't be tempted :mrgreen:

People buy them because advertisers are very good at what they do. I did a senior paper in college on how advertisers use psychology to make people think they *need* stuff like that. It's very effective.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The main one is Billy Mays.

That guy's sickening loud voice just gets right under my skin!

Can you imagine him coming into a room where there's a quiet meeting and he yells out to everyone; "CAN I HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE?!!!!!"

But seriously, his commercials are all way too loud.

Last edited:

GotGarlic

The main one is Billy Mays.

That guy's sickening loud voice just gets right under my skin!

Can you imagine him coming into a room where there's a quite meeting and he yells out to everyone; "CAN I HAVE A CUP OF COFFEE?!!!!!"

But seriously, his commercials are all way too loud.

So are most car commercials. They don't do it because it doesn't work :glare:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
My son does video editing for a living, and one of their recent clients is Sham Wow. He brought some samples home and true to form, they are not worth a hoot.

The answer is a resounding YES...people do buy that shit. Just visit garage sales and you'll find the kitchen gadgets next to the care care products that didn't work either. On the plus side, guys like Ron Popiel are making money hand over fist from the late night insomniacs.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, I imagine that Ron Popiel's Showtime Rotisserie has won a lot of people over. Along with many of his other inventions.

And BTW, did any of you know that the ShamWow guy got himself in some hot water back during the winter for allegedly hitting a hooker, sending her to the hospital? Wonder why his commecials aren't being shown now? They must have been yanked from the air!

Some or a few of those products DO work, but I think it's kind of like "Pick your Poison".

But as far as the Pasta Express and Pasta Magic or whatever the hell that product is that Kathy is now pushing, that stuff is wasteful and distasteful.

Supposed to do pasta amazingly fast. Hnnph!!

Why in the world would I want that, since boiling water is needed anyway for pasta to cook? In the time that it takes to put on a pot of water, let it boil and put the pasta in to let it cook to desired tenderness, drain it and use it, no more time is saved using those other supposedly fast gadgets!

I paid over $80.00 for an Emreilware 8-qt Sock Pot with Pasta Insert that replaces that cheap & flimly red Pasta Pot costing about $20, which the so-called durable nonstick coating began to peel off.

Most of those culinary crap wiz-kid gadgets are a complete and total ripoff!

bowlingshirt

And BTW, did any of you know that the ShamWow guy got himself in some hot water back during the winter for allegedly hitting a hooker, sending her to the hospital? Wonder why his commecials aren't being shown now? They must have been yanked from the air!

I just saw one of the commercials last night, so they aren't entirely gone.

GotGarlic

Doug, the one Keltin is talking about juliennes, as well as peeling. Two tools in one, hence the doubled price :smile:

FryBoy

The Oxo peeler was also "highly recommended" in the Cook's review, along with the Messermeister.

Cook's reviewed julienne peelers in April 2004. Of the three they tested, the liked only the Oxo, which was "recommended" with the comment that it made "perfectly squared slices of carrot and zucchini with no trouble and even julienned blocks of young cheddar."

Cook's did not like the other two julienne peelers they tested, one by iSi Basics and one from Kuhn Rikon (a surprise to me since I've found that Kuhn makes great stuff for the kitchen). They said that both "shredded rather than julienned, and the resulting shreds were nowhere near the elongated square shape of a proper julienne."

Caveat Emptor!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
When I was hanging one of my HDTV’s on the wall I stripped a rather long screw head and needed to get it out. So I went to Walgreens where they have a huge “As Seen On TV” aisle, and bought the GRABIT.

http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Stupid stinking piece of utter crap not only does NOT work, but it made the problem worse!!

We took it back the next day and got our money back. When we brought it in to return it, the clerk that sold it to us the previous day waited on us. The first thing she said was, “Didn’t work did it?”. ARGH! Why didn’t you tell me that yesterday!! :lol:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The Oxo peeler was also "highly recommended" in the Cook's review, along with the Messermeister.

Cook's reviewed julienne peelers in April 2004. Of the three they tested, the liked only the Oxo, which was "recommended" with the comment that it made "perfectly squared slices of carrot and zucchini with no trouble and even julienned blocks of young cheddar."

Cook's did not like the other two julienne peelers they tested, one by iSi Basics and one from Kuhn Rikon (a surprise to me since I've found that Kuhn makes great stuff for the kitchen). They said that both "shredded rather than julienned, and the resulting shreds were nowhere near the elongated square shape of a proper julienne."

Caveat Emptor!

I'm an Oxo guy myself, most of my gadgets come from them even my tongs come from them. They also make the box grater I use as well as the microplane which I have two of one wide and one thin.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm an Oxo guy myself, most of my gadgets come from them even my tongs come from them. They also make the box grater I use as well as the microplane which I have two of one wide and one thin.

Joec, I hear ya!!

I'm also an Oxo gadget freak! And the best store to go to for any of them is BB&B.

They have a very huge selection of Oxo products, ranging from bowls to kitchen gadgets!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes also a BB&B lover have one a block from me. I go in to buy one item and leave with 10, gives my wife the shakes just thinking about it. Going Friday to buy a new 4 qt sauté pan, she might have a complete breakdown. LOL

leolady

Joec, I hear ya!!

I'm also an Oxo gadget freak! And the best store to go to for any of them is BB&B.

They have a very huge selection of Oxo products, ranging from bowls to kitchen gadgets!

Me too! :shock:

But I bought mine online!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yes also a BB&B lover have one a block from me. I go in to buy one item and leave with 10, gives my wife the shakes just thinking about it. Going Friday to buy a new 4 qt sauté pan, she might have a complete breakdown. LOL

That happens with me as well!

Go in there planning to get just one thing. And come out with about a dozen things!!

I'll be paying them another visit soon. Hope that I can keep my sanity and not go crazy in there. :dizzy: