OK, thinking about taking the plunge, Edge Pro Apex....

Locutus

I like my APEX so well, that i wouldn't hestitate to sharpen a $2500 knife on it.

And I'm an amateur hobbyist, not a professional sharpener.

In fact, I like Edge-Pro products so well that I just orderedd a "PRO" model from Ben Dale. Not to completely replace the APEX, but to do the very few things that the APEX isn't well suited for. :thumb:

The Tourist

Banned
As many of you know, Locutus is my friend and we share sharpening procedures and we use the same stones and glass.

Right now, today, without buying any additional equipment, Locutus could replicate the edge seen on that Myerchin.

Edit: BTW, some sharpeners say that their edges are so polished that you can see your own eyes in the bevel. Using an Edge Pro, you can accomplish this very thing.

If you look carefully at the bevel on the Myerchin, you can see the buttons of the calculator laying under the knife, and you can also discern the numbers on the buttons...

Last edited:

Rob Babcock

I only have the Apex, never tried the Pro, but I really don't think you'd need it. If you're not sharpening scissors I don't think the price diff is necessarily justified. That said there's no reason not to if you have the mad money burning a hole in your pocket!:lol: It doesn't cost a fortune and you'll know you have ***the best*** which is kinda cool!

I'm also a pro cook and I haven't run into any kitchen knife yet that the Apex couldn't handle with ease. Personally I'd rather save $150+ and apply the difference towards buying extra stones and blanks, and then mosey on over to The Japan Woodworker or Tools for Working Wood and pick up some microabrasive PSA for making tapes. Then with the rest of the money you'll save buy a DMT XXC Dia-Sharp to keep all your EP stones flat. Much more bang for the buck and it'll keep your knives spooky sharp for years.

Locutus

I only have the Apex, never tried the Pro, but I really don't think you'd need it. If you're not sharpening scissors I don't think the price diff is necessarily justified. That said there's no reason not to if you have the mad money burning a hole in your pocket!:lol: It doesn't cost a fortune and you'll know you have ***the best*** which is kinda cool!

You're correct! :biggrin: The APEX is all anyone needs, even a professional sharpener. ! I got the Pro because I just wanted it, not because I needed it! ;) ) BUT, OH MAN, IS IT NICE!!!

Now, as soon as my sprained wrist heals, I'll be able to use it and gi e a report!

BTW, GOOD NEWS!!!!

Ben Dale is once again selling the 400 grit Boride stones. :clap::clap::clap:

If'n ya aint got one, git one!!! Ya'll love it! It cuts faster and smoother
than the 320!! :flowers::flowers: