Sakura Sauce Recipe?

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
My husband and I have been to the Japanese Steakhouse in Columbus, Ohio and they have sakura sauce they put over shrimp and chicken. It is extremely tasty! The chefs will cook the shrimp and/or chicken on the grill and when almost done they scoop out the sakura sauce, place it over the meat and squirt saki around the meat and place a large lid over top. This will cook for approximately 5 minutes.

The sauce resembles french vanilla pudding or a thick mayonnaise, same consistency and color. I know that the recipe calls for 3-4 egg yolks, one whole egg and lots of oil. At the end you add a dash of soy sauce for color. Does anyone have the exact recipe? I have burned up three blenders trying to make this because I could never get the "pudding" mixture to set up, it was always runny. I've also seen the recipe on copy-cat recipe sites to no avail, the recipes posted just don't work. What am I doing wrong? Anyone? :confused::confused:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Jeeks. I hope that helps her. The Japanese steakhouse is 2+ hours from our house and we do not get there very often. If she could make it at home WITHOUT BURING UP BLENDERS that would be awesome. :thumb: :D

(for those who don't know ... Abby is my wife)

High Cheese

Saucier
There's one around the corner from my office I go to for lunch every so often. I'm not really a fan of mayo type sauces but the steak sauce they serve with the hibachi steak is awesome.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We've tried Japanese Steakhouses all over the country. The one in Columbus Ohio is unique. They call it Sakura sauce and the owner brought this particular recipe from Japan. Other restaurants have had a whilte sauce, some even call it sakura sauce. But we've never had anything close to the one in Columbus. The sauce is great on Lobster, shrimp and chicken. Their steak sauce is good to ....but the sakura sauce is to die for. :D

Abby

More coffee please
Super Site Supporter
Thanks to all who responded!:clap::clap:Actually the recipe posted is the recipe I tried and in the process burned up the blenders. I know it calls for a quart of oil, which I've added a little bit at a time to the egg mixture and it just won't thicken up. I've tried blending the whole egg and egg yolks alone to see if they thicken, nothing. I've tried blending the egg and yolks with a cup of oil at a time, still doesn't work.

The hibachi chef did tell me that there are egg yolks and lots of oil in the recipe, so I know I'm on the right track, just not close enough yet.

If anyone can perfect this recipe I will be eternally grateful! (Doc, too!)

High Cheese

Saucier
Emulsify the eggs and oil together. Below is a recipe from one of PieSusan's links using emulsification to combine the egg and oil. If you add the oil too fast it will not incorporate properly. You do the same thing when you make a vinigarette.

Japanese Egg Yolk Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
3 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
2 1/2 tablespoons white miso paste
1 cup vegetable oil
salt to taste
1 pinch freshly ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon grated yuzu (Japanese orange), lemon or lime peel

DIRECTIONS:
In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and lemon juice with a wooden spoon. Beat
in vegetable oil a few drops at a time, beating well after each addition
until the mixture begins to emulsify. When all of the oil has been incorporated,
stir in the miso, salt, white pepper and grated yuzu. Refrigerate in a squeeze
bottle for convenient application.