Bread Machine Easter Bread

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Bread Machine Easter Bread
This is a bread machine version of Easter bread that was originally posted by Carolyn Ranker.
Makes 1 loaf

1 cup milk, whole
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons sweet butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups bread flour
1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoon) dry active yeast

Add all ingredients to your bread machine in the order listed: milk, eggs, sweet butter, sugar, bread flour and yeast. Never use a delayed start program when you have perishable ingredients in your bread recipe. Use a basic bread program and follow your machines directions.

chowhound

Susan, what is Easter bread? Can you describe it?
Also, if I were to make this what setting would I use, 1.5 or 2 lbs?

Thanks

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
As I learned from Lora Brody's bread machine cookbooks, what one really needs to do is look at the little cookbook that came with your particular machine and adapt the bread machine recipe for it. I would compare a similar recipe in your booklet and follow those directions. This way you will not have an explosion in your machine that is hard to clean up.

homecook

Susan, what is Easter bread? Can you describe it?
Also, if I were to make this what setting would I use, 1.5 or 2 lbs?

Thanks

I'm not Susan, obviously. lol I'm going by the bread my grandmother made, but it's a sweet dense bread. It reminds me of the Hawaiian bread but not as sweet, if that makes sense. Although it could be just my taste buds. It's good for ham sandwiches or just plain with butter, lots and lots of butter!! My grandmother used to add raisins to some loaves and not in others. Either way it's good!

Barb

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I am sorry Chowhound, I missed that part of your question. There are various enriched bread recipes for holidays that make a sweeter, richer loaf. I always think of challah and brioche. Some loaves are sweeter than a typical bread and some are more like a coffeecake bread. It just depends how rich the dough is (how much butter, egg, whole milk, sugar is in the loaf and if dried fruits are present)

chowhound

Thanks, Susan. I've seen different breads around the holidays, but I didn't know there were certain breads associated with certain holidays. I guess I never paid attention or asked what they were called (lol).

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Fred, you would be surprised that there are cookbooks comprised of these kinds of breads/coffeecakes. There are many different versions of the same bread, too -- you can see that with Paska or Babka.