Least used kitchen tool and why.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
As I was responding to another thread a question formed in my mind. It comes partially from the member spotlights and partially from the pressure cooker thread.

What kitchen tool or appliance is your least used item and why. What were your thoughts when you bought it and how come it evolved to disuse.

I can start. Mine is probably my food processor. When I use it it is great. It does exactly what I ask of it. I mostly do not use it because it is a bit to clean. I prefer it to go through the dishwasher, because, the clear plastic is more sparkly clean. Also, I do not cook as much as I used to due to work schedule. I have vowed to do more when spring comes. I am hopeful.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That would be an espresso/latte machine. I have the tiny little cups and the tiny little spoons. It was just a phase :blush:. I do use the little cups every once in a while for holding those frilly toothpicks for buffet type things. So I guess it's not a complete loss :rolleyes:.

I never use my food processor either. Electric knife, giant meat slicer....haven't used those in eons either.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
at this time, my KA mixer. mainly keep it as decor. uncertain as to why i bought one. suppose due to its being pink & also, a portion went to a fund.
i prefer whisks & effort.

then there is that mandoline.

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
That is easy. The George Foreman style electric grill. I don't know if it has even been used since we moved here in late 2006. Sure as heck takes a lot of room in the cupboard down below. As far as hand tolls it would have to be the egg slicer. Might get used once a year. She usually just grabs the paring knife and anymore we seldom hard boil eggs. Now i want some egg salad tomorrow.:yum:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
For me it is probably the Panini maker is the least used but don't have a lot of power cooking tools. The induction stove did away with the slow cooker completely since it can do the same thing in a standard pot. Other than that I have a KA stand mixer wife uses often, Food processor I like to use often, meat grinder used often, blender we also use almost daily and a Pro meat slicer for slicing roasts and such thin for sandwiches etc. Oh and a stick blender which is excellent for my needs and a coffee grinder I use for fresh herbs etc after dehydration from my garden.

thegrindre

I make egg salad and chicken salad all the time. I love my egg slicer but my slow cooker seems to be a waste. I can do the same thing on the stove top in half the time.
My cupcake tins I haven't used in years. I use the Twinkie pan, now. Tubular cakes are far easier to eat then a cupcake is.

Last edited:
K

Kimchee

Probably my toaster. Neither of us much care if our bread is toasted.
Next up would be the food processor; I got a hand blender with a
mini processor attachment that serves my needs as well as the large
one.

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I seldom use a food processor. The cleanup takes longer than getting out a knife and doing my thing. A rice cooker I was gifted has been used once. Seems like a solution in search of a problem. Toaster is never used. I like toast from the oven.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We got a fondue pot for a wedding gift 40 years ago. Used it once in the first year, put it back in the box and it has been moved into the fourth home. Just saw the Harvest Gold pot a couple weeks ago while looking for something else in the basement storage area. Just laughed and pushed it back where I found it.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I haven't used my pasta machine in over a year so I guess that qualifies. :(
Isn't it odd how your pasta machine sits unattended while I have worn out two of them in the past year? I love homemade pasta, especially my own recipe for whole wheat egg pasta.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
My pressure cooker. I don't even know why I bought it, if I even bought it myself.

My grandmother almost blew her head off one time with hers, and I've been afraid of them ever since.

Maybe I wanted to cook some beets. ??

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
We have a bunch of stuff that never gets used.

A brand new fryer we used once, it doesn't get hot enough and I hate to use all that oil.

I have a brand new oven smoker, never used.

Spherification set I used twice.

I just busted out the slow cooker the other day, used to like using it years ago. But like others said, I can do the same thing (actually better) on a stove top in less time.

I have a lettuce dryer I use for red romaine from my store, has alot of dirt usually.

The following gadgets I mainly use in the spring and summer:

Asian bamboo steamer
blender (c'mon....Pina Coladas!)
food processor for salsas
paella pan

I plan on a serious clean out/toss out this spring.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Rice cooker sits on shelf, food processor hardly at all, blender less because I too have the immersion hand held, but my hubby uses it every morning for smoothie.

Shermie

Site Supporter
My blender WAS the least-used item in the kitchen.

That is, until I began taking doses of Metamusil, a dietary / laxative fiber. It lumps when added to an 8-oz glass of liquid, so i just add everything into the blender container, put the lid on and let it rip!!

Comes out smooth, almost doubled in volume like a milk shaike!!!

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Got my rice cooker out yesterday and made brown rice, directions are confusing I think. It is a small one, which is nice since there are just the two of us now.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Got my rice cooker out yesterday and made brown rice, directions are confusing I think. It is a small one, which is nice since there are just the two of us now.

Here's what MINE looks like! Cute and little, but very effiecient and reliable. I hardly use mine also, but it's there when I need it!

I call it my little buddy!!! :cooking:

Attachments

• Zojirushi Rice Cooker..jpg
    Zojirushi Rice Cooker..jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

thegrindre

I owned a rice cooker once. After constantly loosing maybe 10% of the rice or less that stuck all over the inside of the none stick pan, I took it back to Wally World for a refund after using it for about a week or two.
Biggest disappointment in kitchen gadgets I've experienced, yet.
You see, I eat rice almost everyday, sometimes twice and was looking for an easier way to do it, but, NOT!

thegrindre

Did you guys actually spend well over $100 and possibly closer to $200 for a rice cooker!?!?
The two I tried didn't even cost 20 bucks. Both of mine coated the inside walls with stuck on rice.
I tried a little olive oil, a little butter and even a none stick spray but that none stick pan was like a magnet to that rice.

Last edited:

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I must say I have the knack for doing rice without the cooker, but I was drawn to the cooker just so I could make it ahead and keep it warm. Anything I can do ahead is a blessing. We shall see.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Did you guys actually spend well over $100 and possibly closer to $200 for a rice cooker!?!?
The two I tried didn't even cost 20 bucks. Both of mine coated the inside walls with stuck on rice.
I tried a little olive oil, a little butter and even a none stick spray but that none stick pan was like a magnet to that rice.

I paid about $129 for mine.

I've never had a problem as far as rice sticking to the removable nonstick bowl.

My little buddy has served me well, and it continues to do so, making perfectly cooked rice!! ;) :bounce:

JenWalker

I bought a snow cone maker years ago. It seemed like a good idea at the time but quite clearly was a novelty and was barely used. Silly purchase really but then I do purchase silly kitchen gadgets quite often. :\

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I bought a Vitamix at Costco after wanting one for uears. Use it almost every day. Smoothies, salsa, gazpacho, hummus, baby food .... Guess you could say we are still on our honey moon the vitamix and me. Makes me think of the Lucille Ball skit years ago.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I bought a machine that makes dessert shells after loving it at a friend's house. Paid more than I should have considering I NEVER EVEN USED IT ONCE !!!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we have a blender and a food processor. in the basement.
the bread machines I tossed in the recycle bin.

for dough, I use a KA
for meat (and a couple other things), I use a hand crank grinder or gosh just a knife.

it's certainly true, depending on how much of what you "fix" how frequently makes specific devices more or less valuable.

J

Jana

I have a lot of stuff I either don't use or hardly every use. The foodsaver and all its 'handy' gadgets sit in the back of the shelf. I can't remember the last time I used my manual pasta maker (if at all), I don't use the Cameron indoor smoker. It used to scratch my glass top stove, but I should pull it out now because I have a gas stove now. I don't use my fondue pot anymore, and I hardly use my rice cooker, although I do use it when I think about it.

I cut myself really badly on my mandolin, so it's in the box in the back of my shelves.

There's a lot of other stuff I have that I can't even remember....that's how much I use it.

PanchoHambre

I think its a tie between the beautiful Atlas pasta machine and the icecream machine - I really love what they both make but so much work/expense/mess I just rarely bring myself to use - when I do they make me happy