Bad year for apples?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I look forward to Fall for many reasons - one of which is the harvest of Macintosh apples (they are the only apples I like to eat raw).

This year, out of three tote bags of "macs", only a half dozen or so have actually felt like and tasted like macs.

The bag I'm working on now is full of very small apples that are much harder in texture and don't taste as "mac-y".

What's up with apples this season?

Lee

goatherder

Ohio had a very bad year for apples; late spring freeze which killed the blossoms, poor growing conditions which caused the apples to be smaller than average and a June hail storm damaged the apples, all according to the sign at my local orchard when I went to get my usual selection of apples last week. On my own place, I have 15 apples trees and the late spring freeze got 100% of my blossoms. I ended up getting a 1/2 bushel each of Jonathans, Stayman Winesap and Golden Delicious, and they look very good to me; large, sweet, juicy and unblemished. I had not planned on getting any apples this year, I have a lot of food in stock that I am trying to eat down, but I realized I was out of home canned apple sauce and was thinking this was the time of year to get local apples if they were to be had.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
a clementine (for comparison to the apples), an average honeycrisp apple, & a honeycrisp i got 'bout a week later that's got 'roid rage:

Attachments

• IMG_0871251.jpg
    IMG_0871251.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0852248.jpg
    IMG_0852248.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0867250.jpg
    IMG_0867250.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
WHOA!!! LOL! Luvs, seriously, are those photoshopped???

Lee

Mr. Green Jeans

Weather aside the big event here in the PNW is there's not enough ag workers to harvest the crop. Premium grade apples are still hand harvested. To dispel the slave labor myth, a good picker can make in excess of $150/day. Granted, it is hard work.
Back to Lee's Mac's, they are an early ripening apple and not the best for storage. Gorge on them September - November. I recommend you try the next generation bred from Honeycrisp, Sweet Tango.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
WHOA!!! LOL! Luvs, seriously, are those photoshopped???

Lee

lol, lee, huh-uh-, those're the actual apples!:yum: i can't get over this one. that apple should feed me for a month, at least!
it's the 2nd season i've gotten them that way now~

abi_csi

Good grief that's the biggest apple i've seen. A friend of mine keeps delivering huge bagfuls of apples from his tree, they make a lovely juice.