2nd fridge or freezer; spinoff thread ...

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
So, you all know me as Chocolate Moose from the Dying Big Freezer thread.

When I realized that the big freezing was "going", my son piped up that our fridge (23 cubic feet; made up of 7.9 cu feet of freezer and 14.8 cu feet of fridge) was really too small for the four of us, especially as he and my husband are big beer drinkers and of course we cook and bake like crazy for holidays. I joke that by the time we get the kitchen all worked out the way I want it (we bought the apt 5 years ago), the kids will be grown and married.

I never liked our side by side fridge, but it works and it's paid for, and I hate to just give it away.

Anyway - here is the question - who amongst you opts for a 2nd freezer and who amongst you opts for a 2nd fridge/freezer?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Funny you should ask that. In your freezer thread I posted that I was thinking of getting a freezer. Well, the reason for that is that it would replace one of my 3 fridges. :yum:

I have a big side by side in the kitchen w/ ice & water dispenser (will never have one without that as a main fridge). The other two are freezer on top and fridge on bottom. I have one in the garage, mainly for beverages and kitchen overflow and another in the basement for more overflow ... that is the one I would replace. It is mainly used during the holidays when we are fixing bigger than usual meals.

I must say though that two fridges are a must for us. We've been that way for lots of years.

Leni

I have three refrigerators and one stand up freezer. Good thing too. DH will go grocery shopping and come home with bags and bags. If it's on sale he'll buy it whether or not I need it or even want it.

I have the main one in the kitchen and the overflow refrig is in the gazzebo. It holds a lot of sodas and beers. Then my daughters refrig is in the garage along with the freezer.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Well, I live in a 1300 sq foot apt. I really only have room for one "extra" appliance. For a while I kept it in one of the kids' rooms but they could not get used to its noise.

So I gotta choose one or the other, as much as both sound luxurious ....

QuirkyCookery

I opt for a second freezer, just because if there's not room in the fridge, most times I can freeze whatever it is anyway, hehe. It doesn't usually work the other way around.

That being said, I hated our fridge, too, and was quite thrilled when it start leaking and had to be replaced. ><

Shermie

Site Supporter
Both of my freezers, which are the fridge's freezer and the deep freezer, are full to the max! I keep them that way just in case there's a storm and I can't get out to the store for something that's needed for a meal.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I live in a 1300 sq foot apt. I really only have room for one "extra" appliance. For a while I kept it in one of the kids' rooms but they could not get used to its noise.

So I gotta choose one or the other, as much as both sound luxurious ....
No obvious answer. A lot depends on which YOU feel you need more right now. I would think it would be another fridge so you got both extra fridge space and freezer space. If you have things now that you don't have room for in your fridge then you need extra fridge space too. That's what we did, we started with an extra fridge. All JMHO.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
I have subzero full size fridge and full size freezer in my kithcen LOVE THEM! they are 20 years old. Also have small fridge for water/soda/beer in the garage, it has no freezer.