Potato Soup with Sausage

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We went to Olive Garden one night and I had the best potato soup ever. It had meat in it…..probably Italian sausage. After some trial and error, I finally emulated the recipe on my own.

Potato Soup with Sausage

Ingredients

5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 - 4 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 lb breakfast sausage (like Jimmy Deans)
1 bunch green onions, diced
1 tbsp butter

Procedure

Add butter to a medium sized pot. Once it melts and is hot, add potatoes and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently (think stir fry).

Add enough chicken broth to just cover the potatoes. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

While potatoes are cooking, crumble the sausage into a large skillet and brown. Drain, and set aside.

When potatoes are nearly done, add cooked sausage and return to heat, about 5 minutes. Now add cream and green onions. Stir to fully incorporate. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until warmed through.

Notes

This is even better the next day after sitting in the fridge over night.

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I made this again tonight, so now an update with pics. I added Italian seasoning this time, and a touch of celery salt. Incredible flavor.

Cut up your potatoes.
Step_1-62.jpg

Sauté a bit in butter and with Italian seasoning and Celery salt.
Step_2-61.jpg

Add the chicken Broth.
Step_3-54.jpg

In a different skillet, crumble and brown the sausage.
Step_4-49.jpg

Add the sausage to the potatoes once they are fork tender.
Step_5-42.jpg

Add the heavy cream and green onions. Let simmer for 5 minutes till warmed through.
Step_6-37.jpg

Plate and enjoy.
Step_7-28.jpg

Newnork1978

Wow, Keltin...your pics are awesome!

I'm ashamed to admit I didn't scroll down and see your changes to the recipe, but as I was shopping for ingredients, I got celery and chopped it up to add to the soup (on my own). Next time I'll do the seasoning with the celery.

Anyhow, here are my pics!

PotatoSausageSoup.jpg

PotatoSausageGrilledCheese.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wonderful pics Newnork! Mighty, mighty fine looking soup you made! I'm so glad you liked it!!! :clap:

Thanks for making it and posting your pics!!! And that grilled cheese looks awesome! I've got some tomato that needs to be used, and never thought of this, so I'll have to try it. Thanks!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Definitely on my list of stuff to make in the Fall!

Great job, both of you!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
good job yous twos!!! :clap:

and i agree, ya gotta add kale. spinach works in a pinch too. the greens give the soup a certain mouth-feel as well as another flavor.

i'll have to post my two potato soup recipe, which is very similar to k's, except with kale and chorizo.