I have razor-burn on my left hand...

AllenOK

as well as three small, shallow cuts.

Yup, I've been sharpening knives again. I brought my 10" chef's knife home from work, sharpened it, as well as the go-to chef's knife from my home set.

PeppA saw me get the stones out, and immediately went off, "You aren't going to sharpen that thing, are you?!?!?!?!" I told her I wouldn't make it as sharp as my work knife. I'm still expecting her to cut herself with it.

The last couple of times I sharpened my work knife, I cut a shallower bevel than what I normally would do, even though this is just German steel. Well, this time around, I just polished that bevel, then cut a secondary bevel to get the edge back to what a German knife should have.

That sucker's sharp!!! I haven't tried cutting any food with it yet. But, I always test a blade by shaving a little hair off my hand. The top of my left hand is nearly completely BALD, with a few small nicks, thanks to that sharp edge.

I can't wait to get it to either of my jobs and make some food fall apart with it.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
But, I always test a blade by shaving a little hair off my hand. The top of my left hand is nearly completely BALD, with a few small nicks, thanks to that sharp edge.

Honestly, Allen! There's gotta be a better way! :lol::rolleyes:

Lee

Rob Babcock

I recently got some 1/8th micron Cubic Boron Nitrate that I use with a balsa wood strop. That works out to something like 128,000 grit! I've been pushing my edges to new heights in sharpness. In addition I got a 30k Shapton Pro stone- that sucker works pretty well, too.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Rob - you've really caught the fever. :yum:

Allen - way to go. It sounds like you're on your way too. ;)

AllenOK

Oh boy, do I like using that blade! I haven't used my serrated knife all week. The things that I normally use serrateds for, namely bread and tomatoes, are all falling apart under my Chef's knife.

I need to do my boning knife, either today or tomorrow.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oh boy, do I like using that blade! I haven't used my serrated knife all week. The things that I normally use serrateds for, namely bread and tomatoes, are all falling apart under my Chef's knife.

I need to do my boning knife, either today or tomorrow.

Good on ya, mate. I'm constantly amazed how it's the chefs who seem to be the last to know about the abilities of truly sharp knives. You'll never be sorry about your new skills. :brows:

Rob Babcock

BTW, I wondered where you were, AllenOK- I hadn't seen you over at DC in a while. Of course, I haven't had time to hang here in a while either! I was just going thru my PM inbox there and I'm really glad to see you've stuck with the sharpening. You've come a long way in less than a year!:thumb:

AllenOK

Hi Rob. Yup, I'm over here. I don't get to get online much, as I'm now working 80 hrs / week, on two jobs.

I am still but a humble student in the art of sharpening a blade. I don't get to pursue that path much, but I do try to continue learning.

Rob Babcock

Hi Rob. Yup, I'm over here. I don't get to get online much, as I'm now working 80 hrs / week, on two jobs.

I am still but a humble student in the art of sharpening a blade. I don't get to pursue that path much, but I do try to continue learning.

You bring to mind a great line from Star Wars by Darth Vader- "I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete; when I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."