Speaking of rice steamers.....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Depending on size they can run from $20 to way up there. Now if I needed to make rice or it was a large part of my diet I would go for either a Zojirushi or a Sanyo. Both of these companies build great rice makers but they are more expensive. They also make a couple versions for each size using different cooking methods.

Small amount the ones by say 3 to 4 qts you do maybe a batch a week or so go cheap. My first one lasted for just about 30 years working perfectly till the cord got cut on it. I could of fixed it but wife wanted a new one and you know how that can be.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I spend $8 on a 3 or 5 cup size, I forget which, and I was perfectly happy with it. I've seen enormous sized ones sold - like 70 cups - I guess that's for a restaurant or sushi chef.

I don't think you need to spend hundreds of dollrs on it - some knead bread, make jam, and make porridge ... if all you want is rice, you can get something cheaper.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have the cheap-o Black and Decker steamer/rice cooker. It works great for both rice and steaming vegetables.

AllenOK

I rarely make plain rice. I'm usually making pilaf, risotto, jambalaya, etc. Since we're down to just two burners on the stove, having a stand-alone rice cooker would free up a burner.

I've been doing the bit about boiling plain rice in water, but with the quantities I have to make to feed 5 growing kids, again, a 20-cup or 30-cup rice steamer sounds nice. Of course, I might take a stab at other kinds of rice, like jasmine, basmati (which I've always cooked in the oven), brown, etc.

I looked through the selection at Wally World. I may look at other places as well.

Rob Babcock

I'd like to get a rice cooker, too...although I rarely eat rice (watching the carbs). Still, carbs be damned, sometimes I just gotta have sushi!:mrgreen: From everything I've read "fuzzy logic" is what you want. That allows it to adapt to different types of rice, prevent burning and hold it hot without it getting overdone.

My wife got a cheap, plastic microwave rice steamer on the discount rack at walmart for $3. Its simple, and stupid but works great. the rice comes out perfect and predictable every time. We had an electric rice steamer once. It worked very well too. I dont remember the brand name, although i know it was about $40. But it eventually died.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I rarely make plain rice. I'm usually making pilaf, risotto, jambalaya, etc. Since we're down to just two burners on the stove, having a stand-alone rice cooker would free up a burner.

I've been doing the bit about boiling plain rice in water, but with the quantities I have to make to feed 5 growing kids, again, a 20-cup or 30-cup rice steamer sounds nice. Of course, I might take a stab at other kinds of rice, like jasmine, basmati (which I've always cooked in the oven), brown, etc.

I looked through the selection at Wally World. I may look at other places as well.

If you are willing to buy on line then I highly recommend amazon.com as really good source for all of them from inexpensive to high dollar models. They seem to have all the bases covered for things like this and often with good to great discounts.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Amazon is a good place to buy. Specially when they offer free shipping.

Is "fuzzy logic" the reaosn why my brown rice doesn't turn out well in the steamer; cuz I just have an "on" button? Maybe it doesn't sense the kind of rice in the steamer.........hm...............

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter

Is "fuzzy logic" the reaosn why my brown rice doesn't turn out well in the steamer; cuz I just have an "on" button? Maybe it doesn't sense the kind of rice in the steamer.........hm...............

The Zojirushi "Neuro-Fuzzy" cookers have settings for all different kinds of rice. They can also sense temperature and weight of the rice/water, and adjust cooking time and temperature accordingly. It does this all in real time while the rice is cooking.

joec

Gold Site Supporter

Is "fuzzy logic" the reason why my brown rice doesn't turn out well in the steamer; cuz I just have an "on" button? Maybe it doesn't sense the kind of rice in the steamer.........hm...............

Mine uses the same system but you use the measuring cup that comes with it for rice (3/4 cup) while using a full cup of liquid. It also has marks on the inside for winging it and not using the cup. In the back of the book it has how much liquid per type of rice so it all cooks consistent really. I've cooked about 8 different rice types and all came out prefect. Once the liquid is gone it stops cooking going into warmer mode. It works the same with steaming on top. I full cup of water per steamer tray and it comes with 3 trays. So far it has been fool proof really with perfectly cooked rice even on the bottom of the pot which used to get a little over done in my old one.

I've also seen some of the higher dollar one that use other cooking methods and have settings for each type of rice and how one would want it. Those usually use induction systems I would guess but never asked about it.

FooD

I make plain rice almost daily. You need a dedicated rice cooker for that. As mentioned, Jojirushi, Tiger, and Sanyos are proven brands.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If I ate enough rice I would probably go for the Zojirushi or Sanyo. I've actually seen both used on Iron Chef original from Japan. I rarely make more than 3 cups at a time. We do make more plain rice usually the day before then using it for fried rice dishes. Also a lot of yellow rice but it cooks the same as plain white. I've probably eaten most type though in my life and made more in the last few years. It just seems there are more varieties available today in the markets than their used to be.

Shermie

Site Supporter
If I ate enough rice I would probably go for the Zojirushi or Sanyo. I've actually seen both used on Iron Chef original from Japan. I rarely make more than 3 cups at a time. We do make more plain rice usually the day before then using it for fried rice dishes. Also a lot of yellow rice but it cooks the same as plain white. I've probably eaten most type though in my life and made more in the last few years. It just seems there are more varieties available today in the markets than their used to be.

Acutally, there IS a Zojirushi rice cooker small enough that does up to 3 cups of rice.

I have one. :applause:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I know but it was considerably more expensive than the one I had forever. I got it as a gift in the early 70's and would guess at that time they where less than $20. Now they sell for about $20 to $25 for the same ones but have seen them for as low a $8 brand new. Good little rice cookers and dependable as it gets.

Besides Zojirushi didn't even cross my radar screen till the last few years. Never heard of them prior to that as most people used the old fashion way of making rice. Amount of liquid to rice in a pot and covered till done. I still do this on occasion just so I don't forget how to do it. Never can tell when I might have to cook over an open fire again. :shock:

I only cook risotto in a pot standing over it and stirring constantly, though I heard people claim they have done it in a pressure cooker.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sorry guys. I dont get it. DW likes her rice steamer and it makes STICKY rice. Not for me. I'll just use my regular ole pan with a bit of water. The rice she cooks is for the dogs, and I cook our rice in a pot with water. I don't see the need for a "rice cooker" when you can cook rice in a pot.....but DW likes it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Probably because rice done 9in the steamer doesn't stick of burn.

But she might be using a bit too much water.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Zo has changed its model line recently.

My model has been replaced by a different one, but same cooking capacity - 3 cups of rice when done.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's what mine looks like. My Little Buddy!

I think it is discontinued now, but it can still be bought used at Amazon.con. :tiphat:

Attachments

• Zojurushi NS-KCC05..jpg
    Zojurushi NS-KCC05..jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 169

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It seems to appear regardless of the rice cooker a cup of rice is 3/4 of a regular liquid cup.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I sometimes do what my mom used to do.

When she had a little bit of leftover rice form the previous day and she was cooking more rice for the present day, and when the newer rice was done, she would put the leftover rice on top of the fresher rice to heat it up.

The leftover rice would get used first.

Last edited: